Iconic Sporting Photo

Matty

I've got a Uni assignment (my last ever one!) coming up, and it's about discussing a iconic sporting photo and analysing it and discussing why it's iconic and so on.

I was going to use Liam O's free kick against the mackems where he has his arms raised before anyone else even thinks it's in, but I'm not really sure...

Was also thinking about using the picture of Nelson Mandella handing the Rugby World Cup to Francior Pienarr, they'll be loads to talk about with that one with all the South African race troubles, etc.

Just wondering what other people consider to be really iconic pictures. I want to avoid any Ali ones, or the black power ones from the Olympics cause I know my lectuers will be sick of reading about them.

Cheers!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll nominate Gazza crying before Isegrim does.

Good shout. Didn't think of that one suprisingly!

Despite not really being into rugby that much, the literture behind the South African changes over the years between races would be an advantage.

Desperatley wanting to do a NUFC related one though...

There's that photo of Maradona handling the ball past Shilton that would give you plenty of material re the Falklands and so on, I suppose.

Not as iconic but the photo of them lining up for the anthems in that match and the look Maradona et al are giving the English players really does, to use the cliche, say a thousand words.

I'll nominate Gazza crying before Isegrim does.

Boo, fucking boo.

I counter with this one.

anonymousengland1966world9.jpg

It was widely discussed and had a great impact on English dental care tbh.

Edit: Ok, NJS was quicker. Jorman efficiency truely found out in this thread. Auf Wiedersehen.

Edited by Isegrim

What about Jesse Owens at the Munich Olympics in 1936. No offence Wolfgang :blink: Especially if you could get a photo (or still from the footage) of his German fellow competitor (whose name escapes me) giving him some advice when he was struggling in the long jump competition.

What about Jesse Owens at the Munich Olympics in 1936. No offence Wolfgang :blink: Especially if you could get a photo (or still from the footage) of his German fellow competitor (whose name escapes me) giving him some advice when he was struggling in the long jump competition.

You mean Luz Long?

1936longundowenska6.jpg

Though if it comes to the iconic status of a photo I'd still rather go for the photo of the winner's ceremony whose irony truely reflects the games of 1936 and the political agenda (especially in 2008).

440pxjesseowens1936olymdz5.jpg

Edited by Isegrim

Great stuff lads, cheers.

It's only 2,000 words like but I reckon which ever one I choose I won't be struggling to find things to talk about.

You mean Luz Long?

That's the fella.

The Milanese derby which crumbled into farce because of all those flares and the Inter and Milan players stood side by side.

Gordon Bank's save from Pele in that same game too

If you wanted a bit more unusual one (for us over here anyway) Bobby Orr scoring the winner in the 1970 Stanley Cup is a great photo.

Edited by Albert Kirkey

I know you said nothing from the Olympics.... but this one is a powerful image for me.

No he didn't. Not your day is it? :P

Class photo like. Lewis' face :blink:

I remember getting up at about 5 in the morning to watch that race. Awesome spectacle.

I know you said nothing from the Olympics.... but this one is a powerful image for me.

No he didn't. Not your day is it? :P

Class photo like. Lewis' face :blink:

I remember getting up at about 5 in the morning to watch that race. Awesome spectacle.

It was the most incredible race I had seen, I remember when the news broke about the drugs test, I was absolutely stunned.