Iconic Sporting Photo

Matty

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuckin' hell lads.... cheers! :blink:

So many to choose from I know... that Hillsborough is really something like. Could do 20,000 words on that, never mind 2,000! And the Olympic ones are class like, especially the Jesse Owens one on the podium, it just says so much. I know someone mentioned the old cliche about photos and saying a thousand words, but some really do! If not even more....

As I said before, the Ali ones are awesome, but I know s many people using that one so I think my lectuers really will be sick of reading about it. For example we had to a similar essay on a sporting sculpture, and loads of people did Shankly, Busby, and due to me being in Preston, loads did Finney. I was the only person to do Jackie Milburn and I ended up with quite a good mark, so gonna try and stay away from the obvious again...

I know the Hand of God pic isn't exactly rare but I know no one else is doing it and there really is loads to write about in terms of the Faulklands and the rivalry between the countries at the time. Not to mention this quote from Maradona: "I sometimes think I preferred the one with my hand... It was a bit like stealing the wallet of the English."

And in reference to the Falklands conflict, that "it was as if we had beaten a country, not just a football team... Although we had said before the game that football had nothing to do with the Malvinas war, we knew they had killed a lot of Argentine boys there, killed them like little birds. And this was revenge."

Trouble is with Hillsborough, there's not really an iconic photo per se, it was just the day in general and the unfolding events.

I think the most moving thing I ever saw was the collation of the CCTV clips which showed the gates open and the fans pouring through and then it switching to the high level view looking down on that end of the ground and you just see it getting more and more full...

Probably the most iconic would be the one of the police officer on horseback outside the ground who had lost control. The one of Grobbelaar above to me displays how oblivious everyone was at that point to what was going on.

Ones like this one below were graphic but not iconic to me:

1220194sh2.jpg

Mind you, this one of Dalglish.... another that says a thousand words.

79649843lp6.jpg

I know the Hand of God pic isn't exactly rare but I know no one else is doing it and there really is loads to write about in terms of the Faulklands and the rivalry between the countries at the time. Not to mention this quote from Maradona: "I sometimes think I preferred the one with my hand... It was a bit like stealing the wallet of the English."

And in reference to the Falklands conflict, that "it was as if we had beaten a country, not just a football team... Although we had said before the game that football had nothing to do with the Malvinas war, we knew they had killed a lot of Argentine boys there, killed them like little birds. And this was revenge."

It's worth adding that we'd had a footballing rivalry going back to the 1966 World Cup at the very least. But obviously it was the Falklands War that was at the forefront of everyone's minds. And you've got several matches since 1986 to talk about if you want to focus on the "what happened next?" aspect.

It's worth adding that we'd had a footballing rivalry going back to the 1966 World Cup at the very least. But obviously it was the Falklands War that was at the forefront of everyone's minds. And you've got several matches since 1986 to talk about if you want to focus on the "what happened next?" aspect.

Played (and beat them) in '62 too I think but the 1966 match was a real battle with an Argentine being sent off and Alf Ramsay famously branding them as 'animals'.

Edited by alex

Played (and beat them) in '62 too I think but the 1966 match was a real battle with an Argentine being sent off and Alf Ramsay famously branding them as 'animals'.

Yeah the match in 1966 is worth a mention... the image of Ramsey not allowing the players to swap shirts and all that only adding to the hatred between the two countries.

I don't think I'd seen that Hillsborough pic before, btw. It's pretty disturbing, even if we're all intimately aware of the facts and figures of what happened that day.

I know what you mean - it's like, we knew what went on in there but because most of the photography and camera-work showed events from a distance and therefore unable to show any detail, it's as though the true horror is erased from mind.

I find it a similar situation with what happened with the World Trade Center. We saw the planes go in and we know what it caused. But as there is no visual evidence except from the distance shots, what it must have been like inside isn't really considered.

I also think that photo of Hillsborough will be more disturbing to those of us who stood on the terraces at SJP when we had fences just like that. The photo gives a false representation in my mind of the sheer height of those things and even more so, the angle of that overhang. As Taylor put in his summing up, they were designed for crowd control and not crowd safety.

bradm107.jpg

This for me.

Class photo.

Love this one too although it wasn't significant as such, just a class photo:

jontydm_468x361.jpg

I like how the billboard behind him says "FLY".

bradm107.jpg

This for me.

Class photo.

Love this one too although it wasn't significant as such, just a class photo:

jontydm_468x361.jpg

How class was Jonty in the field man?

Tell you who's probably the best fielder I've seen over here, Trevor Penney, he was class. From around those parts as well wasn't he?