The Official Transfer Thread

Guest Stevie

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a weird one. Just like Gemmill I've never seen this guy in action. Never even really heard of him before this week. But having all week heard a lot of praise for him from all sorts of neutral fans, and hearing today he's opted for Spurs is a little disappointing.

However hearing the fee was over £15m is somewhat healing... fuck that!

PS: I've just seen this video of the Spurs fans celebrating their new signing:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=21...h&plindex=3

Good players are more expensive right now due to more clubs in the PL having more cash to spend.

Looks like we've lost the deal and it perhaps was a strategic descision not to pay over a certain amount. We can't carry on like that however or we'll lose every player there is competition to sign.

absolutely, but at least the books will be in good order, so thats alright then

Unfortunately I suspect is this something to get used to (again) over the summer.

chose Spurs because they are in London, in europe, or pay the going rate.

Any of these or a combination of all 3

This is often the way and why we must always pay over the odds (and often get stung with a player on high wages who wont leave).

Players want a number of things (often, not always).

a. CL Football

b. Bright lights of London

c. Uefa football

d. Money

As we can't offer any of a, b, or c at the moment we need to offer enough of d to make up for it. Just depends how badly the player values abc over d or of course if another club offering abc is in for him. This is the reality. I think we need to get used to the fact that we wont be attracting the big players until we push up the table. However, if we can find some young players who have the potential to become bigger players then even better.

you're preaching to the converted mate.

The prudency stance has been advocated in the past, lets see how many players we lose before the penny drops

Edited by LeazesMag

The prudency stance has been advocated in the past, lets see how many players we lose before the penny drops

The reduction in the large number of snouts in the trough has got to help, but we will lose players to other clubs. We could be currently sitting 2nd in the league and we still would.

hardly the lads fault. more the agent/ club.

we've missed out on this lad big time, hes rated so highly in europe that lots of teams were after him. with him playing on the left or through the middle and being a better player than either malbranque or Jenas i can see why spurs paid a few bob for him.

in croatia he's rated as highly as prosinecki and boban were. that speaks volumes for the lad.

of course knowing my luck he'll flop.

Modric and his advisers can suck my fucking clems! If they haven't got respect for us, which they obviously don't they shouldn't have fucking teased us! Tossers. Yes I'm slightly annoyed.

i think he just wanted to goto a good club tbh , and let his old club get as good a deal as possible , its our money men to blame , i doubt zagrab didnt come back to us with a chance to offer more , i just think we didnt .

If we want these kind of players then we have to be a bit more cut throat. It's Zagreb I have a problem with leaking our bid to raise the price knowing that Modric wants to do better making us look like dicks. I know it happens all the time in football now but it really boils my piss.

I know nowt about him tbh, so I can't be too disappointed in him signing for spurs. If he went for £15m+ in today's market he's probably worth 9-10 million which means he sounds a reasonably good player.

Spurs won the auction and maybe, just maybe, Mort and co should be congratulated at sticking to a price they think this lad is worth and not being tempted to overspend. After all, we are supposed to have a scouting team (the gang of three - Wise and the other two whose names I can never remember) second to none who evaluate players and decide what each individual is worth. If they had advised that this kid is only worth, say, £15m tops, then maybe Mort et al should be applauded. (btw, if the player was grossly over-priced, where were sunlun in all of this?? :nufc: )

If the kid is so good, then why spurs? Where were the top european clubs in all of this? We will just have to wait and see how good he actually is. Remember Rebrov (cue t-Keith's 'who the fuck is Rebrov' etc etc :rolleyes: ) ??

So a player has gone elsewhere. We should never be gutted by that. What should only concern is is who actually does come here; Mort/Ashley, it's over to you.

EDIT. Sergei (sp) Rebrov is/was a diminutive Ukranian/Russian striker who spurs paid and extortionate amount of money for some 10 years ago. He was considered a great player then absolutely flopped.

Edited by snakehips

Unfortunately I suspect is this something to get used to (again) over the summer.

chose Spurs because they are in London, in europe, or pay the going rate.

Any of these or a combination of all 3

This is often the way and why we must always pay over the odds (and often get stung with a player on high wages who wont leave).

Players want a number of things (often, not always).

a. CL Football

b. Bright lights of London

c. Uefa football

d. Money

As we can't offer any of a, b, or c at the moment we need to offer enough of d to make up for it. Just depends how badly the player values abc over d or of course if another club offering abc is in for him. This is the reality. I think we need to get used to the fact that we wont be attracting the big players until we push up the table. However, if we can find some young players who have the potential to become bigger players then even better.

you're preaching to the converted mate.

Like the previous board who just continued to spend, spend, spend and get themselves further into debt whilst appointing shite managers who got us less and less for our money. Sounds like a sound investment to me.

Not like you to slate the new board though.....

Thing is, how do we know we got a second bite? We go in and offer one package, they go to spurs and say Newcastle offered this so you need to beat it, and he would rather live in London. Spurs beat it and he signs. We dont know if he came back to us and said Spurs have beat your offer do you want to increase yours?

It all ended in a dutch auction with the player probably preferring london and european football - we came close but maybe next time we will land the catch - and all you planks slagging off stevie for posting it just lay off - its meant to be a discussion board and quite honestly its been the most entertaining thing on here for a while - there was substance to it so well done steve (no i am not brown nosing either) and if you get any more i hope you will share them with us.

It all ended in a dutch auction with the player probably preferring london and european football - we came close but maybe next time we will land the catch - and all you planks slagging off stevie for posting it just lay off - its meant to be a discussion board and quite honestly its been the most entertaining thing on here for a while - there was substance to it so well done steve (no i am not brown nosing either) and if you get any more i hope you will share them with us.

Agreed. :nufc:

At the end of the day it sounds like his club were just pimping him around looking for the highest bidder and in a way if we've stuck to our guns and wouldn't let ourselves be dragged into it, good for us. I think we need to put behind us the days of offering unproven PL players stupid money then regretting it 3 months down the line when they don't do the business.

KK and the board seem to know what their doing for me so lets just be patient i reckon. Get some decent players in closes season that are good enough to push us for top eight, get back in europe then bring in the big guns the season after. As they say Rome wasn't built in a day and I think a few fans are getting a little bit excited and carried away with our recent run, were still a long way off becoming a consistently 'good' team, it's going to take time.

P.S Stevie doesn't deserve any shit for his info, he was more or less on the nose.

Edited by Wacky Jnr

At the end of the day it sounds like his club were just pimping him around looking for the highest bidder and in a way if we've stuck to our guns and wouldn't let ourselves be dragged into it, good for us. I think we need to put behind us the days of offering unproven PL players stupid money then regretting it 3 months down the line when they don't do the business.

KK and the board seem to know what their doing for me so lets just be patient i reckon. Get some decent players in closes season that are good enough to push us for top eight, get back in europe then bring in the big guns the season after. As they say Rome wasn't built in a day and I think a few fans are getting a little bit excited and carried away with our recent run, were still a long way off becoming a consistently 'good' team, it's going to take time.

P.S Stevie doesn't deserve any shit for his info, he was more or less on the nose.

:nufc: on the head.

Edit: That was meant to be the "ok" smiley, stoopid thing.

Edited by JawD

Yeah it seems like either we were simply used to bump up the price or pressure Spurs in a deal that was actually effectively already done, or a stupid bidding war where quite quickly you'll end up paying exceptional prices for only pretty good players (and even if he IS very good, it doesn't mean he'll work in the Premiership - much bigger and genuinely better haven't).

It'll be an interesting summer now, given that even O'neill at villa is talking about capturing Henry and challenging the top 4 now.

Yeah it seems like either we were simply used to bump up the price or pressure Spurs in a deal that was actually effectively already done, or a stupid bidding war where quite quickly you'll end up paying exceptional prices for only pretty good players (and even if he IS very good, it doesn't mean he'll work in the Premiership - much bigger and genuinely better haven't).

It'll be an interesting summer now, given that even O'neill at villa is talking about capturing Henry and challenging the top 4 now.

All clubs have to pay over the odds now to get the very top players or the real prospects.

All clubs have to pay over the odds now to get the very top players or the real prospects.

Fair point but I think we've had our hands burned more than most clubs so I can understand their cautiousness when going in for these so called 'real prospects', after all thats all Modric is. (see Viana)