The Official Transfer Thread

Guest Stevie

one of the stands in zagreb is the mark viduka stand , payed for with the cash from the sale of him , funny how these things connect innit :D

we sell ourselves short these days , newcastle obv still has alot of appeal for proper footballers (not the glory hunting kind)

According to Wikipedia, he's Viduka's second cousin.

aye thats what i mean , first it was berbatov sleeping in toon shirts as a kid , now it just so happens we have one of the worlds most promosing youngsters second cousion on our books , who just so happens to play for viduka's old club , who named a stand after him .

just tell me when the papers print the story about messi loving the broon ale and wants a pad on the quayside . i could very well belive it atm :blush:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has backed Newcastle United's bid to sign midfielder Luka Modric.

The exciting Dinamo Zagreb starlet is likely to move to a bigger club in the near future and Bilic is keen that it happens sooner rather than later.

The former West Ham and Everton defender has spoken highly of Kevin Keegan's Magpies and believes they could provide the perfect platform for the 22-year-old if a reported £12 million move goes through.

"I would be very happy if Luka finds a new club before Euro 2008," stressed Bilic.

"Well, I would want this for all of my players who are looking for new clubs and are at the end of their contracts.

"As for Luka, Newcastle United are no doubt a big club - just behind the top five.

"Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton.

"NUFC are in the range of Chelsea, Leeds United and Aston Villa but can invest a lot more money in new signings than let's say Tottenham.

"Also it's more likely that Newcastle will be English champions than Tottenham.

"Luka wouldn't be making a mistake if he signs for The Magpies."

This cunt should stick to snorting his Charlie, Tottenham and Everton :D

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has backed Newcastle United's bid to sign midfielder Luka Modric.

The exciting Dinamo Zagreb starlet is likely to move to a bigger club in the near future and Bilic is keen that it happens sooner rather than later.

The former West Ham and Everton defender has spoken highly of Kevin Keegan's Magpies and believes they could provide the perfect platform for the 22-year-old if a reported £12 million move goes through.

"I would be very happy if Luka finds a new club before Euro 2008," stressed Bilic.

"Well, I would want this for all of my players who are looking for new clubs and are at the end of their contracts.

"As for Luka, Newcastle United are no doubt a big club - just behind the top five.

"NUFC are in the range of Chelsea, Leeds United and Aston Villa but can invest a lot more money in new signings than let's say Tottenham.

Spurs and Everton ahead of Chelsea? :blush:

EDIT: Mind you, I guess he'll always speak highly of Everton having played for them

EDIT: Mind you, I guess he'll always speak highly of Everton having played for them

yet there is more chance of us winning the prem ,

i need some of what bilic is smoking

Guest Stevie

I don't rate them as any bigger in the big picture than Sunderland, arguably a poorer fanbase than the mackems, they will always struggle to attract top players. They haven't got the fanbase, infrastructure, to ever deliver a serious challenge, like we have in the last decade.

I don't rate them as any bigger in the big picture than Sunderland, arguably a poorer fanbase than the mackems, they will always struggle to attract top players. They haven't got the fanbase, infrastructure, to ever deliver a serious challenge, like we have in the last decade.

Aye but think about it from his perspective... Temuri Ketsbaia would probably think of us in that bracket too on account of the fact he played for us...

Guest Stevie
United open talks with Croatian star

Apr 24 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Luka Modric

CROATIAN superstar Luka Modric has made a hush-hush visit to the Newcastle United training ground in his bid to jump on the Kevin Keegan bandwagon.

The 22-year-old left- sided midfielder was at the training ground on Tuesday afternoon after meeting United vice-president Tony Jimenez and director of football Dennis Wise at St James’s Park.

And there is a talk in Zagreb that the Dinamo star is on the verge of a 25.5m move to St James’s which, at the current exchange rate, works out at around £20m.

But my information is that Zagreb – United beat them in a Champions League in 1997 – have slapped a 30m price tag on Modric which works at around £25m.

And while the United hierarchy will probably get Zagreb to accept a lower fee, the player’s personal demands will still be high and could be a stumbling block.

While the name of Modric is not as recognisable as some top players in Europe, there is no doubt he is a quality player.

And this was clearly seen when he masterminded Croatia’s victory over England at Wembley in November which ended Steve McClaren’s reign as manager and resulted in a free summer for our top players as far as the Euro 2008 finals are concerned.

But if Modric does arrive at St James’s Park, then it will give United fans some interest in the proceedings in Austria and Switzerland in June.

At the moment the only United players taking part in Euro 2008 are Emre with Turkey and David Rozehnal with Czech Republic, although I would be surprised if the latter is seen again in a black-and- white shirt.

Modric was accompanied to Newcastle on Tuesday by Zagreb vice-chairman Zdravko Mamic, who happens to be the brother of his agent.

They first surfaced at the Malmaision Hotel on the Quayside on Tuesday lunchtime with Geordie agent Peter Harrison before heading up to St James’s to meet Messrs Jimenez and Wise.

The latter pair have been around football long enough to wonder if Dinamo Zagreb have gone public with United’s interest in Modric in Croatia to draw out the big boys like Chelsea and Barcelona.

Both the Champions League semi-finalists are interested in Modric, but I hear that Avram Grant is trying to land a bigger name – Brazilian Kaka from AC Milan.

United’s move for the left-sided Modric suggest that they have finally given up on the unsettled Charles N’Zogbia and that they will let the Frenchman go in the close season.

Nowt like regurgitating the best bits from the Croatian news, Daily Mail, and Shields Gazzette Alan son.

Guest Stevie

I like this bit....

Both the Champions League semi-finalists are interested in Modric, but I hear that Avram Grant is trying to land a bigger name – Brazilian Kaka from AC Milan.

His source? More than likely something like Tribal football. It might even be true Chelsea are after Kaka, but in spite of Grant not because of him. Secondly since when did the manager of Chelsea sign the players, let alone allowing a manager who is likely to be sacked target them. I'd even hazard a guess Ten Caat as more of a say than Grant. Frank Arnesen and Kenyon would have fuck all to do with it Alan, whey neh.

no one else wants to pick up on his leeds united comment then? :blush:

Yeah, I was going to say. I'm a little insulted to be compared with Leeds, although maybe he's talking in historical terms...or just hasn't checked the Premier League standings recently and noticed Chelsea are in 2nd and Leeds are in something like 50th overall atm :D

Bilic has always been something of a clown though.

If he does sign I think I will have found a team to support in Euro 2008.

If he does sign he'll probably break his leg at Euro 2008. :D

You make a very good point.

Guest Stevie
If he does sign I think I will have found a team to support in Euro 2008.

If he does sign he'll probably break his leg at Euro 2008. :D

So true!

Yes agreed. QFT!