Wine tasting

Jill

Going for the first time in a few weeks with my sister for her birthday. Looking forward to it, but not sure what to expect apart from hopefully some nice wine. Any experts?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One for Wolfy this I think-he's the expert.

Thinking of popping along to a local one next week as it's at a restaurant I like. The wine list in there is pretty pricey so I figure if I get to try a decent range I might educate myself a bit and also have a better idea what wines to order with my food.

I might educate myself a bit and also have a better idea what wines to order with my food.

This is partly what I'm hoping to achieve. I usually tend to stick with the same few that I know I like rather than branching out and going for something which will really compliment my food.

Also I usually only drink white but I'd like to discover a few reds instead of being so quick to write them off.

I don't think there is a better way to learn about wine than in form of a well organised tasting. If you can directly compare different quality of wines and vintages then you quite quickly realise the broad range of wine and what it can offer. It should be a good laugh anyway.

Did a bit in Oz and learned quite a bit from it. Once you know what sort of grapes you like best you can experiment with similar wines from different countries, regions and so on.

I don't think there is a better way to learn about wine than in form of a well organised tasting. If you can directly compare different quality of wines and vintages then you quite quickly realise the broad range of wine and what it can offer. It should be a good laugh anyway.

Had some cracking wines in Milan a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately I can't remember too much about it. :nufc:

Can I just shock you? I like wine. Despite what I just said earlier. At any one time I have nine bottles of wine in my house.

:nufc:

"....I've got a cellar too. There's no wine in it, just some smokeless fuel...and a couple of bags of cement...that have gone hard"

White Wine > Red Wine > Rose`

pinot grigio(white ;)) > Anything

Known as the secretaries wine. :razz:

There's a lush NZ Pinot Gris I sometimes get. Matakana Estate.

Matakana Estate Pinot Gris Matakana Auckland

"Description: This graceful wine has a light lemon hue. The bouquet offers delicate, sensuous aromas of sun-ripened pears, soft peach, subtle quince and a whisper of cloves. Rich and luscious flavours of ripe melon, succulent apple and lychee are wrapped seductively in a soft creamy texture. The full, stylish palate surrenders to a long smooth finish."

Mmmmm...

Matakana Estate Pinot Gris Matakana Auckland

"Description: This graceful wine has a light lemon hue. The bouquet offers delicate, sensuous aromas of sun-ripened pears, soft peach, subtle quince and a whisper of cloves. Rich and luscious flavours of ripe melon, succulent apple and lychee are wrapped seductively in a soft creamy texture. The full, stylish palate surrenders to a long smooth finish."

Mmmmm...

Well worth checking out Parky :D

• 4 weeks later...