Wine tasting

Jill

Went last night, absolutely loved it. :)

Think I'm going to sign up for a 10 week course in September-November and do it properly.

Did you spit or swallow ? :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went last night, absolutely loved it. :angry:

Think I'm going to sign up for a 10 week course in September-November and do it properly.

Did you spit or swallow ? :)

Ladies always swallow. :)

Vinopolis in London is quite a good place to start. I took the missus there a couple of years back.

You basically try wines from around the world, including English/turkish and Thai (which was rank)

Unfortunately my sense of smell is attrocious so I'm a bit rubbish at recognising the constituents of the wine..

Guest alex
Do it yourself tbh. Have a themed night, e.g. Australian reds, everyone brings a bottle - bingo!

dingo tbh.

Very good :icon_lol:

• 8 months later...

I've just passed the Wine & Spirit Education Trust Level 2 Intermediate Certificate in Wines & Spirits.

Question: do I now do the Advanced Certificate, or is that really dorky?

I've just passed the Wine & Spirit Education Trust Level 2 Intermediate Certificate in Wines & Spirits.

Probably not that much more dorky than doing the Level 2 Intermediate Certificate tbf. :lol:

White Wine > Red Wine > Rose`

pinot grigio(white :lol:) > Anything

Known as the secretaries wine. :lol:

There's a lush NZ Pinot Gris I sometimes get. Matakana Estate.

Matakana Estate Pinot Gris Matakana Auckland

"Description: This graceful wine has a light lemon hue. The bouquet offers delicate, sensuous aromas of sun-ripened pears, soft peach, subtle quince and a whisper of cloves. Rich and luscious flavours of ripe melon, succulent apple and lychee are wrapped seductively in a soft creamy texture. The full, stylish palate surrenders to a long smooth finish."

Mmmmm...

Good choice. But tbh there are so many good white wines here, from the Marlborough region (South Island) especially. I prefer red wine mind, and judging from the colour of my piss, I've tried too much of that already.

Good lass.

I know it's a bit mainstream, but I really like that Yank Rose, Paul Casson, with the funny shaped bottles at the minute. I'm not going to come out with some of the self conceited bollocks above (not from AL) pretending to be some sort of authority on wine, but my expert opinion is it's canny nice.

The older I get the more I move away from lager. All the English/Aussie/Yank stuff in pubs is largely wank, and don't get me wrong there's times I can have a good skinful on a match day, but it's not agreeing with me as much. I never thought I'd see the day I prefer cider, but I'd rather have a bottle of Magners these days, and I prefer a nice wine or whisky if am honest.

Edited by Stevie

The older I get the more I move away from lager. All the English/Aussie/Yank stuff in pubs is largely wank, and don't get me wrong there's times I can have a good skinful on a match day, but it's not agreeing with me as much. I never thought I'd see the day I prefer cider, but I'd rather have a bottle of Magners these days, and I prefer a nice wine or whisky if am honest.

For a country that drinks so much of it, English beer is, on the whole, absolutely fucking rank. There's the odd small producer doing ok stuff (still tends to be a bland imitation of continental styles) and, imo, 'real ale' is awful. Even the Aussies and the Americans have some decent smaller breweries doing very drinkable pale ales and pilsners and so on.

White Wine > Red Wine > Rose`

pinot grigio(white :D) > Anything

Known as the secretaries wine. :razz:

There's a lush NZ Pinot Gris I sometimes get. Matakana Estate.

It might please you as you sip your wine to know Matakana is a cracking little town - brilliant farmers market, great pottery and artists' studios, a really cool little cinema & shops, also a 10 minute drive from several beaches and Goat Island a marine reserve where you can snorkel with reef fish.

But then again you probably won't give a fuck :)

Edited by Kitman

For a country that drinks so much of it, English beer is, on the whole, absolutely fucking rank. There's the odd small producer doing ok stuff (still tends to be a bland imitation of continental styles) and, imo, 'real ale' is awful. Even the Aussies and the Americans have some decent smaller breweries doing very drinkable pale ales and pilsners and so on.

Zip it, pissflaps.

Zip it, pissflaps.

Never tried that one, sounds like stuff I've had though.

They do a red as well (85% Merlot / 15% Malbec iirc). Very nice it is too. I had a lush Pinot Noir from Marlborough (via M&S) the other day as well.

Funnily enough you probably get a better choice of wine over there than we do here because the better stuff is either exported or too expensive. Seems mad that it's cheaper to buy after it's been half way round the world but the exchange rate does that. I've drunk a lot of pinot noirs since I've been here but it's mostly been supermarket plonk or Aussie stuff which is better value.

We sometimes go to this place for lunch http://www.brickbay.co.nz/information.html but it's typical of the sort of vineyard in the Auckland area alone and most of them are set up for food. We're spoilt for choice really :D

NZ stuff isn't cheap in the UK like. I think it tends to be low yield, cool climate stuff at the dearer end of the market (like pinot). Normally worth paying a little bit more for. Aussie and South American stuff is cheaper.

NZ stuff isn't cheap in the UK like. I think it tends to be low yield, cool climate stuff at the dearer end of the market (like pinot). Normally worth paying a little bit more for. Aussie and South American stuff is cheaper.

Well we wouldn't want any old prole buying it :D The vineyards here are quite small by world standards I think, so it's a case of quality not quantity (no pun intended)

They do a red as well (85% Merlot / 15% Malbec iirc). Very nice it is too. I had a lush Pinot Noir from Marlborough (via M&S) the other day as well.

Funnily enough you probably get a better choice of wine over there than we do here because the better stuff is either exported or too expensive. Seems mad that it's cheaper to buy after it's been half way round the world but the exchange rate does that. I've drunk a lot of pinot noirs since I've been here but it's mostly been supermarket plonk or Aussie stuff which is better value.

We sometimes go to this place for lunch http://www.brickbay.co.nz/information.html but it's typical of the sort of vineyard in the Auckland area alone and most of them are set up for food. We're spoilt for choice really :D

I'd like to get an olive farm one day. :)