Wine tasting

Jill

These guys http://twopaddocks.com/ use to make one of the best pinot noirs but they had a change of winemakers a couple of years ago and it's not as good, still very drinkable. The vineyard is owned by Sam Neill.

The best pinot noir I've ever had is from these guys in Tasmania, http://www.providence-vineyards.com.au/ it's impossible to buy as it usually sells out quickly but I've noticed they have some at the moment.

Had a really nice Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva 2004 the other night with the world's best anti pasta.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The older I get the more I move away from lager. All the English/Aussie/Yank stuff in pubs is largely wank, and don't get me wrong there's times I can have a good skinful on a match day, but it's not agreeing with me as much. I never thought I'd see the day I prefer cider, but I'd rather have a bottle of Magners these days, and I prefer a nice wine or whisky if am honest.

For a country that drinks so much of it, English beer is, on the whole, absolutely fucking rank. There's the odd small producer doing ok stuff (still tends to be a bland imitation of continental styles) and, imo, 'real ale' is awful. Even the Aussies and the Americans have some decent smaller breweries doing very drinkable pale ales and pilsners and so on.

Zip it, pissflaps.

I love real Ale, there are some cracking little brewerys local to me, Adnams, Oulton and Moultons are the pick of the bunch, I've got a few bottles of Adnams broadside in the fridge for tonight.

The older I get the more I move away from lager. All the English/Aussie/Yank stuff in pubs is largely wank, and don't get me wrong there's times I can have a good skinful on a match day, but it's not agreeing with me as much. I never thought I'd see the day I prefer cider, but I'd rather have a bottle of Magners these days, and I prefer a nice wine or whisky if am honest.

For a country that drinks so much of it, English beer is, on the whole, absolutely fucking rank. There's the odd small producer doing ok stuff (still tends to be a bland imitation of continental styles) and, imo, 'real ale' is awful. Even the Aussies and the Americans have some decent smaller breweries doing very drinkable pale ales and pilsners and so on.

Zip it, pissflaps.

I love real Ale, there are some cracking little brewerys local to me, Adnams, Oulton and Moultons are the pick of the bunch, I've got a few bottles of Adnams broadside in the fridge for tonight.

Hefe-weizen, trappist bier or bust.

Real Ale is, imo, one of the best things about England.

We can't do lager for shit though. Boils my piss all so-called foreign lagers which are now brewed here and therefore became rank. Thank fuck the Poles brought some good lager with them.

We can't do lager for shit though. Boils my piss all so-called foreign lagers which are now brewed here and therefore became rank. Thank fuck the Poles brought some good lager with them.

No Fosters was shit for years before they started brewing it in Ingerlund.

They even brew Fosters EXPORT here now ffs.

Glad to hear there's a few good men willing to stand up to Alex's baldy heresy tbh.

If we're talking real craft, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the likes of Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' or Marble Brewery's 'Ginger Marble' as examples of brilliant (and diverse) British ale. Up there with premium foreign beers (ie lagers) for me for sheer taste enjoyment, no question. The pubs which really sign up to the idea of quality British ale also tend to be really nice places to drink.

They even brew Fosters EXPORT here now ffs.

Well you don't think we make that shit in Australia!

Glad to hear there's a few good men willing to stand up to Alex's baldy heresy tbh.

If we're talking real craft, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the likes of Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' or Marble Brewery's 'Ginger Marble' as examples of brilliant (and diverse) British ale. Up there with premium foreign beers (ie lagers) for me for sheer taste enjoyment, no question. The pubs which really sign up to the idea of quality British ale also tend to be really nice places to drink.

All you need is a barmaid with perfect symetrical breasts and you'd be in heaven wouldn't you sammy boy?

I got talked into the real ale movement when I was working in Birmingham and have to say it do like it. Much better than to drink the shit you usually get.

I got talked into the real ale movement when I was working in Birmingham and have to say it do like it. Much better than to drink the shit you usually get.

:D

diplomatically put.

All you need is a barmaid with perfect symetrical breasts and you'd be in heaven wouldn't you sammy boy?

Can't believe I'm still taking flack for this tbh-you'd have them like a penny farthing I suppose you filthy mongrel?!

I'm a real ale fiend too. I met the owner of a brewery when I was up in Edinburgh as the pub we were in were doing a promotion on his ales. He went mental when he found out I was from up here as apparently the Crown Posada sells his stuff.

Can't believe I'm still taking flack for this tbh-you'd have them like a penny farthing I suppose you filthy mongrel?!

Big, small, round, flat, pierced I don't care as long as they don't mind me playing with them.

But I'm not stupid enough to need a calculator, weight displacement tank and set of protractors before I get my grubby hands on them.

Tits is tits has always been my mantra but tbh I think you've got a point.

Beadle tits must be quite off putting :D

Before I went on the waggon, real ale was my favourite drink in a pub. Walking into a pub to find a selection of 'guest' real ales on the tap was much to my liking :D Too many of these insipid, like-for-like largers on the market for my liking.

I'm willing to be proven wrong like Sammy. All the stuff I've tried has been reminiscent of dish water though. I thought Guiness was rank for years until I had a decent pint of it however.

These guys http://twopaddocks.com/ use to make one of the best pinot noirs but they had a change of winemakers a couple of years ago and it's not as good, still very drinkable. The vineyard is owned by Sam Neill.

The best pinot noir I've ever had is from these guys in Tasmania, http://www.providence-vineyards.com.au/ it's impossible to buy as it usually sells out quickly but I've noticed they have some at the moment.

Had a really nice Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva 2004 the other night with the world's best anti pasta.

Had a really nice Pinot I got in Fenwick's in the Toon that was Tasmanian. Tigress I think it was called.

Had a really nice Pinot I got in Fenwick's in the Toon that was Tasmanian. Tigress I think it was called.

Alex, Tigress isn't bad but the stuff from Providence is in a whole other league.

The Thalys is currently being kind enough to serve me Touraine Gamay which isn't to bad.

take a pencil and paper - nowt worse than finding a decent wine at a tasting and then not being able to remember a thing about the name the next day

Or use the camera on your phone even. Genius, I know.

take a pencil and paper - nowt worse than finding a decent wine at a tasting and then not being able to remember a thing about the name the next day

Or use the camera on your phone even. Genius, I know.

Sacrilege!!