Would You Pay Out?

wykikitoon

Was speaking to a mate in the pub at the weekend.

He was telling me about his daughter. 18 Year Old. She goes away on holiday and does some clif jumping. Jump and cracked one of her vertabries. Anyways, couple of "docs" on hand pulled her from the water with a life guard. She had to be airlifted from the beach, then flown to Florida for treatment. She was in the Caribbean. Anyways, gets to the States, they wanted $ before the would do anything to her. She said see my insurance details. She was operated on and put in full cast. She was then flown first class via BA to Gatwick, then private ambulace to Leeds.

Anyways, she is ok and will walk again and has been one very lucky person. The bills however come to around £90k

Now, if I was insurance company I would say "Sorry, youre not covered for throwing yourself off a cliff"

What about you? I think the insurance company will pay out as they dont want adverse publicity, but surley there has to be a line?

He was telling me about his daughter. 18 Year Old. She goes away on holiday and does some clif jumping. Jump and cracked one of her vertabries. Anyways, couple of "docs" on hand pulled her from the water with a life guard. She had to be airlifted from the beach, then flown to Florida for treatment. She was in the Caribbean. Anyways, gets to the States, they wanted $ before the would do anything to her. She said see my insurance details. She was operated on and put in full cast. She was then flown first class via BA to Gatwick, then private ambulace to Leeds.

Anyways, she is ok and will walk again and has been one very lucky person. The bills however come to around £90k

Now, if I was insurance company I would say "Sorry, youre not covered for throwing yourself off a cliff"

What about you? I think the insurance company will pay out as they dont want adverse publicity, but surley there has to be a line?

Tricky one.

If I was an insurance company bod I wouldn't pay.

However it really depends what the insurance coverage has in the small print.

Tricky one.

By the sounds of it, it was just normal holiday insurance. Loads of bits in the small print says "you shouldnt put yourself at risk etc etc" her old man is bricking it thinking he'll have to sell his house. But as she is over 18, isnt she the one who should be bricking it?

Tricky one.

By the sounds of it, it was just normal holiday insurance. Loads of bits in the small print says "you shouldnt put yourself at risk etc etc" her old man is bricking it thinking he'll have to sell his house. But as she is over 18, isnt she the one who should be bricking it?

Would you let your own daughter fork out 90k when she might not even have left school/Started Uni?

The exact same thing happened to my mate in Newquay doing that cliff jumping shit. Luckily he's ok now too but again, very lucky.

If I was telling my mate about my daughter who broke her spine and was lucky to be still walking I would hope my friend would be on my side rather than the insurance companies

:nufc:

I hope they dont have to pay a penny. But at the end of the day, its like me running in front of a speeding train for kicks...........isnt it?

Not sure what Cliff Jumping is (it involves cliffs and jumping obviously) but surely the people organising the 'jump' are liable?

Were talking about the Carribean, I dont think it was "organised"

If I was telling my mate about my daughter who broke her spine and was lucky to be still walking I would hope my friend would be on my side rather than the insurance companies

Even if she'd been drinking?

Except, of course, that it (other peoples idiocy) pushes premiums up for everyone.

Not really a problem if she paid a premium for covering herself to do stuff like that, but it is if she didn't.

Plus if you're doing something like cliff jumping you should be clued up on what you are doing and the risks. Basically leaping off a drop into water you're not personally 100% sure of the depth of is just natural selection at work.

It was probably just off hitting the water rather than hitting some rocks under the surface. That's what happened to my mate anyway. I'd imagine, even in the Carribean (no offence to manc-mag) they usually try and make sure the water is pretty deep.

It was probably just off hitting the water rather than hitting some rocks under the surface. That's what happened to my mate anyway. I'd imagine, even in the Carribean (no offence to manc-mag) they usually try and make sure the water is pretty deep.

Well if you're managing to give yourself spinal injuries on a purely surface impact with water (either by jumping from a ridiculous height, having no idea how to fall, or hitting something on the way down) then that most definitely is natural selection at work.

Although at the end of the day there's no such thing as safe risk, as much as injury lawyer 4U might try to make us believe there is. :nufc:

Well if you're managing to give yourself spinal injuries on a purely surface impact with water (either by jumping from a ridiculous height, having no idea how to fall, or hitting something on the way down) then that most definitely is natural selection at work.

Although at the end of the day there's no such thing as safe risk, as much as injury lawyer 4U might try to make us believe there is. :rolleyes:

I suppose you're an expert at how to fall correctly too are you? :nufc:

Although at the end of the day there's no such thing as safe risk, as much as injury lawyer 4U might try to make us believe there is. :rolleyes:

Falling flat on his face, aye. Falling graciously on his sword, no.

Although at the end of the day there's no such thing as safe risk, as much as injury lawyer 4U might try to make us believe there is. <_<

Well it's not really that hard, unless he/she was trying to pull off multiple somersaults or something (which again probably goes back to natural selection).

You wouldn't try to climb a cliff with absolutely no idea of what you are doing (well you might, but well NS), so why does throwing yourself off one without any idea make sense (believing that water being at the bottom makes it safe is again natural selection).

But it's got nothing to do with what I do or know, I'm just saying that you shouldn't do stuff without knowing what you are doing, how to do it, and what the risks are..... or at least if you don't (or even if you do) then accept the consequences be they physical, financial or both.

I suppose the real natural selection test would be starting off a dry cliff jumping crazy. :rolleyes:

Falling flat on his face, aye. Falling graciously on his sword, no.

Still excessively preoccupied with me I see. <_<

Depends whether cliff jumping is classed as an extreme sport or extreme stupidity and whether she was covered for either by her insurance.

In all reality I wouldn't expect 'normal' holiday insurance to cover extreme type activities.