"We've gone for three and lost all three"..KK

Park Life

The Newcastle boss believes owner Mike Ashley shares his view the squad is not currently well-stocked enough to compete for a top-six spot, something that is sure to increase their sense of urgency in the market.

“We’ve only got a small squad and I think that’s one of the reasons we struggled because I have to use the same players. It’s been the same for the past seven games,” he said. “We’ve only got the league as we’re not in Europe, but we’ve got two kids at the back so we’ve got to strengthen. If the owner thinks that just these players can go on next season – and I know he doesn’t – then he’d be misguided.

“I was supposed to have gone for lunch with Modric, but I can’t remember it. We’ve earmarked about 20 players, he’s one of the best midfielders in the world and the right age, but at the moment – and it’s a sad thing – we’ve gone for three players and lost all three.” KK

From end of a we need to buy article driven by Geremi quotes.

What do people make of it?

I'm of the opinion that we're moving in the market and that can only be a positive thing...And as it seems we are qoing for good players we're going to lose some of them. :nufc:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-20829023/

Woody, Modric and ....?

Dissapointing that we lost out on 2 players to Spurs. Who's the 3rd player by the way? Am I forgetting something obvious here, or was it not out in the open?

"but at the moment – and it’s a sad thing – we’ve gone for three players and lost all three.” KK

3 out of 20 isn't bad yet, but if it's the beginning of a trend it may well be. :nufc:

i think a manager is the best person to sell this club to players on the fence about comming here .

keegan knows he's had no part in the transfers , the we have lost 3 targets thing to me sounds like a 'sort it out you muppets' nudge from keegan .

alot of verbal pingpong going on between mort and keegan aswell , bean counter says dont expect big signings , kev says were gonna bring big players in .

kev's also throwing lots of things around regarding cash he has to spend in the summer 100mills 250 mills , reminding them how much other teams are intending to spend , comes off to me like hes telling them they need to spend bigger than whats being implied to him .

we'll see what happens , but keegans defo playing to the fans thru the media . very similar to the moves allerdyce was pulling last transfer window .

Edited by Hadrian

Woody, Modric and ....?

Dissapointing that we lost out on 2 players to Spurs. Who's the 3rd player by the way? Am I forgetting something obvious here, or was it not out in the open?

Rumoured on N-O that we've been back in for Sidwell but he turned us down. No idea how accurate that is.

Cheers, Alex, I just read that there.

Not sure how I reckon Sidwell would have done here. Our midfield is weak at the minute, but he's not played much first team football this year.

Woody, Modric and ....?

Rumoured on N-O that we've been back in for Sidwell but he turned us down. No idea how accurate that is.

That is pretty depressing if that is true, for a couple of reasons.

Woody, Modric and ....?

Only depressing because it shows the shallow nature of footballers these days (if true).

Woody, Modric and ....?

Only depressing because it shows the shallow nature of footballers these days (if true).

I don't think it has anything to do with footballers.

It's how you project your identity as a business on the market.

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has promised to deliver big-name players next season after missing out on Sol Campbell, Lassana Diarra and Luka Modric. (Daily Mirror)

Didn't Portsmouth sign Diarra before Keegan was in charge?

Guest Patrokles
Woody, Modric and ....?

Shallow why? For not wanting to play for a team currently in the bottom half of the premiership? Right-o.

Woody, Modric and ....?

Shallow why? For not wanting to play for a team currently in the bottom half of the premiership? Right-o.

Don't you ever get tired of it?

I think the only message that Keegan is trying to send out is that he is going for quality players but we can't expect to get them all because of our position.

The fact that we are making these moves now shows a massive leap forward from previous regimes and the fact that we are going for this calibre of player ispires me with confidence going forward.

That we've been knocked back doesn't surprise me in the least given our position and the mess this club has been in recent years.

I'm more concerned when I hear more crap about only wanting to sign proven premiership players. It's the same shit we've heard for the last few years and tbh it's worked about as well as Keane's idea of playing McShane against us the other week.

I'm more concerned when I hear more crap about only wanting to sign proven premiership players. It's the same shit we've heard for the last few years and tbh it's worked about as well as Keane's idea of playing McShane against us the other week.

I'm not sure Keegan said he's only looking at proven Premiership players, but I completely agree with that. In some cases, signings players from abroad will be a gamble, but then we've wasted millions on players like Smith, Duff, Parker and Carr without any return. In a way we're in a similar position to 2001/2002, when Robson had to gamble and did so by buying Robert and Bellamy.