Newcastle set to rebuff Liverpool offer for Harper

asteroidblitz

Newcastle United are poised to try and rebuff an offer from Liverpool for Steve Harper this summer. With Scott Carson, currently on loan at Aston Villa, expected to leave Anfield before August, Rafael Benítez is understood to be keen on signing Harper and asking him to challenge Jose Reina for a first -team place.

A boyhood Liverpool supporter, the 33-year-old Harper has devoted his entire career to Newcastle but spent most of it as understudy to Shay Given. However, with Given having been sidelined with groin trouble for prolonged periods in recent months, Harper has made 17 Premier League appearances this season and impressed greatly.

Next season though Given will have recovered from recent groin surgery and Harper - who has one year remaining on his current contract - may find himself back in Newcastle's reserves. With question marks hovering over not only Carson's but Benítez's and Reina's futures at Anfield, the mooted bid for Harper may never materialise, but Kevin Keegan is sufficiently concerned to have today stressed his desire to keep the goalkeeper.

"I'm not surprised if other teams are interested in Steve, he's a very, very, good goalkeeper," said Newcastle's manager, who will hope his board opt to offer Harper a contract extension. "I'm definitely not looking for him to go - but I'm sure he'll come and see me if Liverpool come knocking on his door.

"Everyone here has always known how very good he is, but it has always been hidden by the fact that Steve has not played much. He's been here since I was manager last time but he's just played his 100th [first-team] game for the club."

Meanwhile Shola Ameobi, currently on loan at Stoke from Newcastle, will make that switch permanent in a £4m transfer once Tony Pulis's side's anticipated promotion from the Championship is confirmed. Ameobi seemingly annoyed Keegan - who is pursuing Manchester City's defender Richard Dunne and has expressed an interest in Chelsea's Steve Sidwell - by asking to be allowed to miss a reserve game as it coincided with a rehearsal for his impending wedding, but has apparently impressed Pulis.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/apr/29/newcastleunited.liverpool?gusrc=rss&feed=football

How long is Fop going to be allowed to keep spamming the board before the admins get sick?

I'm only offering my positive agreeable opinions, is that not allowed now either?

However you're off topic, and are therefore ruining the thread. :D

Edited by Fop

Ameobi seemingly annoyed Keegan......by asking to be allowed to miss a reserve game as it coincided with a rehearsal for his impending wedding

You don't fuck with Keegan, do you? Despite the nice guy stuff everyone sees, he can be as ruthless as anyone when it comes to commitment. I think there were some good stories in "the Bez diaries" about it.

How long is Fop going to be allowed to keep spamming the board before the admins get sick?

I'm only offering my positive opinions, is that not allowed now either?

Fucking dullard.

Fucking dullard.

I completely agree.

Ameobi seemingly annoyed Keegan......by asking to be allowed to miss a reserve game as it coincided with a rehearsal for his impending wedding

You don't fuck with Keegan, do you? Despite the nice guy stuff everyone sees, he can be as ruthless as anyone when it comes to commitment. I think there were some good stories in "the Bez diaries" about it.

Aye you're right that you don't, because yes he can.

Edited by Fop

Fucking dullard.

Isn't he that Fulham midfielder we're after?

Keegan`s a pussy and the world knows it.

Have you seen one yet?

See that comment, that one right there? That speaks volumes of the kind of Liverpool "supporter" you really are.

But, back OT, aye, KK doesnt take shit like. I remember what happened to Clarky after he spat his dummy out.

However you're off topic, and are therefore ruining the thread. B)

Fucking dullard.

Isn't he that Fulham midfielder we're after?

:D

Harper a boyhood Liverpool supporter what a load of shite.

Edited by Barton7