Not Starting a Record shop & starting a guitar shop, Internet, then the world!

Tom

Me and my brother were talking about this a couple of weeks ago & after watching High Fidelity tonight :D, im wondering how one would go about it.

This is 75% pipedream but I think i could acquire some serious money before hand,

Im just wondering how to go about things.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the popularity of digital music/music thievery and the availability of cheap online options such as play.com, I'd say you'd be wasting your time.

As to how to do it - rent somewhere, fill it with records, charge money for them. You can probably get a grant from someone like Business Link to start it up.

Im with ginge on this one,

an actual bricks n mortar record store will probably die on its arse, if you're going to sell records then maybe a collectables one via the net would have a chance.

If you do go for a grant though I reckon you'll need more of a business case than "well Ive seen High Fidelity and it looked like a laugh"

:D

Unless you started a 'collectors' record shop and cafe that is.... :D

Digital music sounds like wasps fighting in a coke can.

You need a real identity for it to be successful ie sell only records or something or a very specific period. But I'd spread your bets a little by also attaching a small cafe (I've got a local music shop like this and when they're not selling music they're selling coffee).

I would also combine it with an online service (ie posting records/cd's etc), this spreads your footprint (more people are aware of you) and more likely to visit your shop.

There are a million ideas really for this kind of scenario.

Try it. B)

I know a guy who made a serious living out of selling records/cds for twenty odd years and he never had a shop.

If you want to sell records face to face with customers a market stall is the best way. Low overheads and although it will take a month or two to establish a name, if you keep to a regular market circuit people will keep coming back because they know you will be there.

Tom as others have said, work out what market you want to cater for and then go find a supplier.

The guy I knew use to order things from a supplier in Germany who pressed and distributed vinyl that was half the wholesale price of an australian, english or US product.

Truth be know you'd be better off dealing in second hand stuff. Find those rarities cheap and sell on at a profit.

I've got a copy of Talking Heads limited release of Speaking in tongues with Robert Rauschenberg's artwork, which featured a clear disc along with three clear plastic discs printed with similar collages in three different colors if you can find a buyer. :D

Yeh it's seem Vinyl is probably the way to go for a lot of people. You can get rare stuff from anywhere :D.

My uncle was taking his recycling to the tip one time and saw a couple there with a couple of boxes of vinyl about to throw them away, so he said rather than throw them away he will give them £10 for them. There was a Beatles record in there worth £80 for a start B)

I think when it comes to finding a niche it's something that is going to have to be worked on through time, before & afterwards.

Durham needs a good record shop but it also needs a good guitar shop, in fact it's fucking desperate for a guitar shop.

I have seen some places that offer a hybrid of the two.

There is a place in York that sells, CD's, Vinyl, Tablature, proper sheet music, piano's & a cafe upstairs + it has guitars and drums and shit downstairs.

Yeh it's seem Vinyl is probably the way to go for a lot of people. You can get rare stuff from anywhere B).

My uncle was taking his recycling to the tip one time and saw a couple there with a couple of boxes of vinyl about to throw them away, so he said rather than throw them away he will give them £10 for them. There was a Beatles record in there worth £80 for a start :icon_lol:

I think when it comes to finding a niche it's something that is going to have to be worked on through time, before & afterwards.

Durham needs a good record shop but it also needs a good guitar shop, in fact it's fucking desperate for a guitar shop.

I have seen some places that offer a hybrid of the two.

There is a place in York that sells, CD's, Vinyl, Tablature, proper sheet music, piano's & a cafe upstairs + it has guitars and drums and shit downstairs.

much call for that? :D

Fuck it, just make it the ultimate strip, rock, coffee, skunk bar and you'll be minted and surrounded in hot totty.

...and open only at ridiculous times ie 1am to 6am. :D

Fuck it, just make it the ultimate strip, rock, coffee, skunk bar and you'll be minted and surrounded in hot totty.

...and open only at ridiculous times ie 1am to 6am. B)

...with espresso :D

Im with ginge on this one,

an actual bricks n mortar record store will probably die on its arse, if you're going to sell records then maybe a collectables one via the net would have a chance.

If you do go for a grant though I reckon you'll need more of a business case than "well Ive seen High Fidelity and it looked like a laugh"

:D

Couldn't agree more - of all the items that have been changed by t'internet record buying must be the biggest - why go into a shop when you van get it delivered to your door - except to stay out of the rain

How much do you reckon you'll make on each sale? 50p? a quid?? Let say a quid - you are going to be working 6 days a week - 10 hours a day and a shop will cost you as well - if you earn £ 20 k a yearrr before tax you will have to sell 40,000 records to pay for the shop, admin etc - thats well over 130 records a day every day

Go and look at the record shops around were you live and see just how they sell in say 30 minutes

Use Ebay its easier

What ever yo do Keith good luck Marra

The record / cafe bar sounds minta though. Some decks up listen to em etc. Pannini's, coffee etc would gan doon a treat in Leeds.

The best thing for him to do is to take advice of the wiser ones in this thread and knock this idea on the head. :D Vinyl is dying a slow death, why on earth would you want to stake your livelihood on it?

The best thing for him to do is to take advice of the wiser ones in this thread and knock this idea on the head. :D Vinyl is dying a slow death, why on earth would you want to stake your livelihood on it?

Tbf T-Keith's livelihood currently stands at a whopping £35.67.

When everything points to a no....Do it anyway. B)

There are a million ways to make money in 'a record shop'.. I see Rob totally ignored the revenue stream from the Cafe.

....and with collectors records/cd's you make a lot more than a £1 a sale. :icon_lol:

All the other things on sale in me local record shop:

T-shirts

Concert tickets

Healthy food

Coffee

Beer

Posters

Films

DVD's

Fresh juices

etc......

Edited by Park Life

The best thing for him to do is to take advice of the wiser ones in this thread and knock this idea on the head. B) Vinyl is dying a slow death, why on earth would you want to stake your livelihood on it?

When everything points to a no....Do it anyway. :icon_lol:

There are a million ways to make money in 'a record shop'.. I see Rob totally ignored the revenue stream from the Cafe.

....and with collectors records/cd's you make a lot more than a £1 a sale. :(

:D Or for those more sensible.....when everything points to a no, there's probably a pretty good reason for it. The place you have - would you want to rely on that as your sole source of income? Be honest. :icon_lol:

And I'm not taking the piss btw about how much your place may or may not be making, just trying to illustrate that it's going to be a very marginal venture at best.