Not Starting a Record shop & starting a guitar shop, Internet, then the world!

Tom

The best thing for him to do is to take advice of the wiser ones in this thread and knock this idea on the head. :icon_lol: Vinyl is dying a slow death, why on earth would you want to stake your livelihood on it?

When everything points to a no....Do it anyway. :(

There are a million ways to make money in 'a record shop'.. I see Rob totally ignored the revenue stream from the Cafe.

....and with collectors records/cd's you make a lot more than a £1 a sale. <_<

:D Or for those more sensible.....when everything points to a no, there's probably a pretty good reason for it. The place you have - would you want to rely on that as your sole source of income? Be honest. :icon_lol:

And I'm not taking the piss btw about how much your place may or may not be making, just trying to illustrate that it's going to be a very marginal venture at best.

Yeah but I'm guessing T doesn't have my 'needs'. B)

In reality these things come down to location actually.

Edited by Park Life

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you have to keep your Spanish houseboy in fresh dungarees. :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Lorenzo is Italian. B)

*This reminds me of the 'let's open a cafe thread last year'. :(

:D Get away, an Italian wouldn't be seen dead in dungarees.

Yes, you have to keep your Spanish houseboy in fresh dungarees. :icon_lol:

:(

Lorenzo is Italian. B)

*This reminds me of the 'let's open a cafe thread last year'. <_<

:D Get away, an Italian wouldn't be seen dead in dungarees.

He pulls it off like only an Italian can. :whistle:

He's from Sardinia so yes there are failings. :icon_lol:

If I were you I REALLY would start trading online first, even if it's just ebay.

There's a lad at work who subsidises his income trading vinyl on ebay. Got a sweet deal on a joblot of 1600+ albums which he's at least quadrupled his money on by selling one at a time. You'd need to do that several times over.

Can be a fun little earner that way. Diving straight into a property, keeping stocked, paying staff, sticking to opening hours are all probably more worth the risk if you can prove the demand first and live off the online orders without the expense of outgoings other than postage.

If I were you I REALLY would start trading online first, even if it's just ebay.

There's a lad at work who subsidises his income trading vinyl on ebay. Got a sweet deal on a joblot of 1600+ albums which he's at least quadrupled his money on by selling one at a time. You'd need to do that several times over.

Can be a fun little earner that way. Diving straight into a property, keeping stocked, paying staff, sticking to opening hours are all probably more worth the risk if you can prove the demand first and live off the online orders without the expense of outgoings other than postage.

Branson started in his bedroom.

Guest Patrokles

Questionable wisdom from people who have never had anything to do with record shops.

You make a lot more than a quid a sale.

People still shop at record stores.

If it's your genuine dream, then sit down with your bank, get yourself in with the suppliers/distributors, and give it a go. It won't be easy, but it's eminently possible.

The best model might be a shop that is primarily a musical instrument one, which also sells/buys second-hand CDs. Having a coffee shop too is OTT and probably more work than it's worth.

Yeh i think i musical instrument shop would go down well. There's plenty places that need one, I think the trick is often to make sure you cater for the middle classes who have no clue about price. Plus it's probably wise to give it a respectful name.

Questionable wisdom from people who have never had anything to do with record shops.

If it's your genuine dream, then sit down with your bank, get yourself in with the suppliers/distributors, and give it a go. It won't be easy, but it's eminently possible.

The best model might be a shop that is primarily a musical instrument one, which also sells/buys second-hand CDs. Having a coffee shop too is OTT and probably more work than it's worth.

That's who you remind me of!

Jack%20as%20Barry.jpg

Plus it's probably wise to give it a respectful name.

Tom Keith and sons, Horns and other noise makers Pty Ltd should do the trick.

Make sure you keep the expensive brand of recorders.

The fact you once had a part time job in HMV doesnt really make you any more qualified to give business start up advice tbh

Guest Patrokles

The fact you once had a part time job in HMV doesnt really make you any more qualified to give business start up advice tbh

When I was at school. I subsequently spent a year managing a record store to fund my move over here. :D

Guest Patrokles

Jack%20as%20Barry.jpg

Infinitely better taste than him, tbh.

As opposed to the advice of a man who only owns Erasure records or Rob W and his 78rpm gramophone collection!

Jack%20as%20Barry.jpg

Don't know about infinitely but it would be better to have better taste. Jack Black is about as funny as James Blunt talented.

Jack%20as%20Barry.jpg

I was thinking more about the deluded, obnoxious and patronising attitude you share with him, tbh.

Guest Patrokles

Jack%20as%20Barry.jpg

I was thinking more about the deluded, obnoxious and patronising attitude you share with him, tbh.

You're such a daft cunt. :D

When I was at school. I subsequently spent a year managing a record store to fund my move over here. :D

so what was the turnover? how much was the rent? gross profit margin?

Wot no coffee!!!! :D