Not Starting a Record shop & starting a guitar shop, Internet, then the world!

Tom

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real money these days is in Cheese if you're interested T. :D

A second hand cheese market stall it's the way of the future > with coffee!

...and a selection of cheese friendly biscuits. B)

Guest Patrokles
When I was at school. I subsequently spent a year managing a record store to fund my move over here. :D

so what was the turnover? how much was the rent? gross profit margin?

Rent wasn't something I personally dealt with. We had sales figures, etc. available to us every week, and we were certainly making a profit.

It's not entirely relevant, really. The point of this thread was that Tom wanted to know how to go about opening a record store. Immediately everyone told him not to bother because it's a waste of money. My counter-point is that, in my experience, you can still make a profit. You only have to look at places like Sister Ray and Rough Trade in London, Ameoba in San Francisco, even a little independent store in Norman, Oklahoma, to see that there's still a place in the world for record stores.

As for the figures you're interested in, that's why I suggested Tom sit down with his bank. Get someone who knows what they're talking about financially to help him with it.

In terms of making more than a quid a CD, if you factor in that the supplier cost for a back catalogue CD is between 2-3 pounds, and they can be sold for between 6-10, then you do the maths.

Guest Patrokles
The real money these days is in Cheese if you're interested T. :D

A second hand cheese market stall it's the way of the future > with coffee!

...and a selection of cheese friendly biscuits. B)

Can sell wine too. Liquor licenses are expensive though.

Call it "Rimshot" you will get people in who know music and you may also get a few sales off the local perverts who have got the wrong idea.

Oi Oi comedy hour has started. :D

When I was at school. I subsequently spent a year managing a record store to fund my move over here. :D

That's Numberwang!

My dream is an olive and lemon farm ideally in Italy or Spain where the Govt buy up all the produce and in some parts even pick the stuff for you.

...and relax. :D

It's not entirely relevant, really. The point of this thread was that Tom wanted to know how to go about opening a record store. Immediately everyone told him not to bother because it's a waste of money. My counter-point is that, in my experience, you can still make a profit. You only have to look at places like Sister Ray and Rough Trade in London, Ameoba in San Francisco, even a little independent store in Norman, Oklahoma, to see that there's still a place in the world for record stores.

I think the point Im making though is that generally you dont need to have any knowledge of music shops or the record industry par se to know that opening a record shop is an extremely risky business strategy in this day and age. Yes it could work but chances are you have to appeal to a small cross section of the music buying public, those that want to have the shiny bit of plastic in their hands, those that collect 6 different versions of the same album because they have different coloured sleeves etc. Then you're competing in a small market with the likes of eBay, again a non starter.

If anything has been hit hard by the internet and file sharing its the music industry. Add in the fact that more and more people are turning to MP3 rather than CD and it all says "DONT DO IT!!"

Well here's my advice fwiw. The simple fact is that no bank is going to lend you the money to start up a store, the common consensus is that music stores (certainly independent ones) are on the way out. My advice to you would be to start online, it is much less expensive and allows you to reach a much wider audience, which is essential if you're looking to target a niche market. If things are going well for you in a year's time then you could think about opening a store, a bank will be much more likely to lend you the cash if they can see a steady stream of income and an established customer base, at the moment they'd laugh you out of the place.

Edited by ewerk

Yeh and i suppose it would be plausible to subsidise a store by continuing to sell online.

I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be, probably ebay.

As i think shops like Play.com and Amazon are unbeatable in that field.

I might try that as soon as I leave uni, im not sure how i would go about it though, hmm.

Buy a shit load of records and sell them sounds easier than it is.

Yeh and i suppose it would be plausible to subsidise a store by continuing to sell online.

I might try that as soon as I leave uni, im not sure how i would go about it though, hmm.

Have you any cash to invest?

Don't be put off by the 'sensible advise'. Although it is well meaning no one on here can have any clue as to your vision inc me.

The point of this thread was that Tom wanted to know how to go about opening a record store. Immediately everyone told him not to bother because it's a waste of money.

o_rly.jpg

Have you any cash to invest?

Don't be put off by the 'sensible advise'. Although it is well meaning no one on here can have any clue as to your vision inc me.

I have a feeling though that Toms 'vision' here is more based on the thought of spending all day with mates playing name that tune than it is on sound financial views and a business plan.

:D Sensibile advice in quotation marks as well. Don't worry about "making a profit" either. Or "paying your creditors". Or "making salary payments". Or "bailiffs".

B)

Questionable wisdom from people who have never had anything to do with record shops.

You make a lot more than a quid a sale.

People still shop at record stores.

If it's your genuine dream, then sit down with your bank, get yourself in with the suppliers/distributors, and give it a go. It won't be easy, but it's eminently possible.

The best model might be a shop that is primarily a musical instrument one, which also sells/buys second-hand CDs. Having a coffee shop too is OTT and probably more work than it's worth.

The fact you once had a part time job in HMV doesnt really make you any more qualified to give business start up advice tbh

Should change his name to patronising tbh

Guest BigThompers
Questionable wisdom from people who have never had anything to do with record shops.

If it's your genuine dream, then sit down with your bank, get yourself in with the suppliers/distributors, and give it a go. It won't be easy, but it's eminently possible.

The best model might be a shop that is primarily a musical instrument one, which also sells/buys second-hand CDs. Having a coffee shop too is OTT and probably more work than it's worth.

The fact you once had a part time job in HMV doesnt really make you any more qualified to give business start up advice tbh

Agreed. Or 'Fucking Bell End'.

Sorry, but I own the copyright on that tbh.

I have a feeling though that Toms 'vision' here is more based on the thought of spending all day with mates playing name that tune than it is on sound financial views and a business plan.

And then getting to fuck Lisa Bonet.

Not my type tbh.

Not my type tbh.

Freak, what's wrong with you Tom?!??

Ah I get it, you want make up sex with Iben Hjejle :)