Mort: Keegan to get the funds

Jimbo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7384247.stm

Kevin Keegan has been promised funds to help turn Newcastle into a club that can attract the biggest names.

Ahead of Newcastle's clash with Chelsea, chairman Chris Mort said they are looking to the future when considering which players to buy.

"Over the summer, we will look to strengthen the squad further," he said.

"In addition to immediate fixes, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long-term."

Newcastle have already missed out on the signing of midfielder Luka Modric, who rejected a lucrative offer to join Tottenham instead.

However, Mort is confident that Newcastle are heading in the right direction and that they will soon be in a position to attract player's like the 22-year-old Croatian international.

"It is frustrating that Modric, like (Jonathan) Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London, and European football with Tottenham next season.

"But these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

Less money? If true then the blame for missing out on Modric cannot be laid at Mort, Wise or Ashley's feet.

I know why Woodgate moved south and even if he did stay and join us he wouldn't have been much use minus his kneecaps.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Less money? If true then the blame for missing out on Modric cannot be laid at Mort, Wise or Ashley's feet.

Rubbish, Shepherd would have persuaded the lad that Newcastle was just past Walthamstow on the Victoria line. While belching ambrosia fumes into his face.

Rubbish, Shepherd would have persuaded the lad that Newcastle was just past Walthamstow on the Victoria line. While belching ambrosia fumes into his face.

:D

If Keegan can convince Rob Lee that Newcastle is closer to London than Middlesboro then I'm sure he could pretend to a Croat we are in London B)

However, Mort is confident that Newcastle are heading in the right direction and that they will soon be in a position to attract player's like the 22-year-old Croatian international.

"It is frustrating that Modric, like Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London and European football with Tottenham next season.

unreal.

Spurs for less monkey?!?!?

What a wanker

"It is frustrating that Modric, like Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London and European football with Tottenham next season.

unreal.

What a wanker

To be fair, I think it shows he's got a bit about him.

unreal.

What a wanker

I have far more respect for a player that does that, football decisions rather than the lure of cash.

unreal.

What a wanker

I have far more respect for a player that does that, football decisions rather than the lure of cash.

Problem is for next season without European football, cash will be a deciding factor for anyone we do get!

unreal.

What a wanker

Problem is for next season without European football, cash will be a deciding factor for anyone we do get!

Aye, it will.