Gascoigne's tears trace the chronicle of tragedy foretold

Dr Gloom

Some truth, if a little harsh, in what Shinton and HF are saying.

I thank you.

But honest how many chances would we get. He is a bloke that had too much too young and blew it. He is human so deserves help but no special help IMO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

I thank you.

But honest how many chances would we get. He is a bloke that had too much too young and blew it. He is human so deserves help but no special help IMO

I think it's a strange one because he was a massive star for a while (to the extent that he is still famous) transcending merely football, and with that came massive pressures. So he isn't like 'the man in the street' in that sense.

You could only hire him if you could trust him.

If he's out snorting coke with the Academy kids he could be a liability. His alcoholism led to the sack from Kettering, so a job in the game won't necessarily get his act together for him.

Of course you can't just tell him to turn up the next day to work and everything is okay. He's seriously mentally and physically ill, so the first thing is to cure him. Getting him to live a normal life can only be the second step. Though I think the club should seriously look into taking things into its hand and show some social responsibility.

I reckon Gazza has no interest in knuckling down, he craves attention and wants the column inches he's always had, whether good or bad. He could have knuckled down at Boston but left because they wouldn't let him do I'm a celebrity... :) a quiet steady job that keeps him out of the papers obviously doesn't cater to his ego enough.

That Speight bloke was suicidal, holding your head under water in the bath and ordering a steak knife without the steak on room service is just pathetic attention seeking.

Aye, you are right.

Guest alex
Very sad. I don't know what the article is on about suggesting all would be rosy if he'd gone to Man U though.

It may have some legs but it's not as though he's just gone off the rails by having too much too soon.

He needs someone to look after him but sadly his family appear to be too stupid/not interested, and his friends and advisors have too much invested in him being "Gazza" to want to help out.

Re the Man United thing - it may well have given him a different outlook on life, but he's pretty clearly mentally ill so I don't know how much Ferguson could have helped him. Chances are they would have fallen out and he would have been shipped off elsewhere to follow something similar to the path he's on now.

I thank you.

How is it more "special help" than any other person would be getting? There are people and institutions who are connected to him who I think have a human resonsibility to take care and probably the chances to do so. That's not in any kind different to what I would expect from any ordinary people and institutions and how I would act and have acted when it comes to people I am connected with. I don't care how many chances he had and blew. As long as someone is in a state where he needs help he should get help. Simple as.

I thank you.

How is it more "special help" than any other person would be getting? There are people and institutions who are connected to him who I think have a human resonsibility to take care and probably the chances to do so. That's not in any kind different to what I would expect from any ordinary people and institutions and how I would act and have acted when it comes to people I am connected with. I don't care how many chances he had and blew. As long as someone is in a state where he needs help he should get help. Simple as.

Agreed.

I suspect it's just more worshipping at the altar of Ferguson seeing as he's on the verge of League and Euro double and possibly about to retire. Needless iyam.

I agree with Isegrim, Mental Health Work is not really my bag but they don't get enough praise for consistently trying to provide care for people such as this who show little signs of improving. He's been taken into care again, hopefully they and him can be more successful this time.

I suspect it's just more worshipping at the altar of Ferguson seeing as he's on the verge of League and Euro double and possibly about to retire. Needless iyam.

I agree with Isegrim, Mental Health Work is not really my bag but they don't get enough praise for consistently trying to provide care for people such as this who show little signs of improving. He's been taken into care again, hopefully they and him can be more successful this time.

worryingly, the following quote comes from the only person on here who is involved in mental health IIRC.

Im fucking sick of hearing about it tbh. I wish someone would just section him and be done with it!

sensitivity overload.

Guest alex
I thought he worked in casualty.

Im pretty sure its mental health and maybe young offenders ?

You'd have to ask him but I thought he (at least used to) work in Casualty at the RVI.

At least they're not deaf offenders.

I think Ferguson could have helped him, alcoholism and drug use breeds mental illness & alcohol doesn't really help as it is a depressive in the first place. Ferguson would have put a stop to all that nonsense for a start.

But I think Gazza has let him self down in more ways than one. he is attention seeking to an extent and I'm not sure if he was trying to top himself or get in the paper. As much as he is a daft bint I think he knows how to top himself and it's not the way he tried.

He needs some really serious help and he needs to get off the drink, get out of the papers and to have a few years out of the public eye and then possibly a job collecting the cones (sorry Terry) at the academy, hopefully someone in football will throw him a bone but it's useless without the serious help he needs first.

Sooner or later he will run out of money and then there will be no more escapades to posh hotels or alcohol or cocaine binges because he will be on his own and nobody will give a fuck because they cant leech of him.

He can only help himself if he wants to and he evidently doesn't give a fuck.

Depressing.

Guest alex
I think Ferguson could have helped him, alcoholism and drug use breeds mental illness & alcohol doesn't really help as it is a depressive in the first place. Ferguson would have put a stop to all that nonsense for a start.

But I think Gazza has let him self down in more ways than one. he is attention seeking to an extent and I'm not sure if he was trying to top himself or get in the paper. As much as he is a daft bint I think he knows how to top himself and it's not the way he tried.

He needs some really serious help and he needs to get off the drink, get out of the papers and to have a few years out of the public eye and then possibly a job collecting the cones (sorry Terry) at the academy, hopefully someone in football will throw him a bone but it's useless without the serious help he needs first.

Sooner or later he will run out of money and then there will be no more escapades to posh hotels or alcohol or cocaine binges because he will be on his own and nobody will give a fuck because they cant leech of him.

Depressing.

Generally agree but I think the first paragraph isn't correct. He's had mental illness problems all his life for a start and you just have to look at Ferguson's attitude to Paul McGrath in particular and Norman Whiteside (at around the time he wanted to sign Gazza) to know that he probably would have peddled Gazza rather than helped him out of his problems.

I don't think Ferguson would definetly have put an end to his problems, Fergie was good at keeping young players in check but Paul McGrath is an example of where Fergie couldn't rein a player in and ended up shipping him out, though I agree Gazza would have had a much better chance of solving his problems under Red Nose than the Cockney barrow boy.

Edit: Too fucking slow. :)

That's 100% true, Gazza has been in and out of some of the best rehab joints in the world but ultimately only he can save himself and so far he hasn't had any success.

Edited by ewerk

Depressing.

Generally agree but I think the first paragraph isn't correct. He's had mental illness problems all his life for a start and you just have to look at Ferguson's attitude to Paul McGrath in particular and Norman Whiteside (at around the time he wanted to sign Gazza) to know that he probably would have peddled Gazza rather than helped him out of his problems.

Well i think there might of been a slight improvement.

I think Gazza also suffers from the era in which he made his trade. Unfortunately for him he has become 'the bad example' for young players to avoid replicating and I'm sure young players are looked after better these days.

Guest alex

Ferguson just rules with an iron rod tbh, especially then. When has he ever sorted out a player with serious problems? He just ships them out. As Luke says it just needless and inaccurate arse-licking of Fergie. He might have been better than Venables but 'El Tel' just let him do what he wanted so that's not saying a lot.

Correct. However, it doesnt matter how good a nurse you are if the person you are trying to help doesnt want it.

Hes had more chances and help then any mental health patient I have ever met and hes still out on the piss.

Correct. However, it doesnt matter how good a nurse you are if the person you are trying to help doesnt want it.

Hes had more chances and help then any mental health patient I have ever met and hes still out on the piss.

Is that illegal? or just in your book?

So if he was referred to your care would you not bother? Serious question btw - i'm not taking the piss.

We all have opinions as to the subjects we work with, but given your job, should you not be exercising a little more restraint in voicing them?