Gascoigne's tears trace the chronicle of tragedy foretold

Dr Gloom

I thought he worked in casualty.

Im pretty sure its mental health and maybe young offenders ?

Correct. However, it doesnt matter how good a nurse you are if the person you are trying to help doesnt want it.

Hes had more chances and help then any mental health patient I have ever met and hes still out on the piss.

Is that illegal? or just in your book?

Not normally, but when your a recovering alcoholic (five times over) with mental health problems, its probably not the best solution. Nice subtle attempt at a dig though :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. However, it doesnt matter how good a nurse you are if the person you are trying to help doesnt want it.

Hes had more chances and help then any mental health patient I have ever met and hes still out on the piss.

So if he was referred to your care would you not bother? Serious question btw - i'm not taking the piss.

We all have opinions as to the subjects we work with, but given your job, should you not be exercising a little more restraint in voicing them?

I dont work with Gazza though? So I dont see why I need to use restraint. I work with teenagers who are first time service users. I enjoy working with them and I am compassionate and sympathetic and the majority of them are eager to get better.

I still think Gazza is a wife beating, alcoholic, sad sack loser who has had a hell of a lot more chances than most people ever get. You dont have to agree. Do we really need to read a front page story about him trying to buy a ferrari with his trousers round his ankles?

Sad sad story.

He's had so many chances, but he either doesn't seem willing to help himself, or he can't for whatever reason. No one knows whats going on inside his head except him.

I don't know the full story, but I don't like how it appears all his hangers ons who you heard about during the 'good years' who you heard about everytime they went out on the piss, have now suddenly disappeared and all of his latest incidents appear to have happened when he has been on his own.

Guest alex

Not normally, but when your a recovering alcoholic (five times over) with mental health problems, its probably not the best solution. Nice subtle attempt at a dig though :)

I know you're trying to be clever, as per usual, but you've just conceded he's addicted to the most widely available of drugs. I don't suppose even he thought it was a good idea.

I know you're trying to be clever, as per usual, but you've just conceded he's addicted to the most widely available of drugs. I don't suppose even he thought it was a good idea.

You're ruining the thread with this pointless disagreement. :crylaughin:

Guest alex

You're ruining the thread with this pointless disagreement. :icon_lol:

Meanwhile, you've found your niche and don't even attempt to be clever anymore after I showed you up last week son :crylaughin:

You're ruining the thread with this pointless disagreement. :ok:

Meanwhile, you've found your niche and don't even attempt to be clever anymore after I showed you up last week son :crylaughin:

I complete and utterly agree with you. :icon_lol:

That doesnt change the fact that hes had as much professional help and care that is available. At what point do you stop saying 'Its an addiction, its not his fault.' Wel be going in circles til the day he dies

Addcitions can be broken, just ask any recovered drug or alcohol addict. It takes will power though. It doesnt matter how addicted you are to something, the choice is still there to not do it anymore. Hes a weak minded man who will look to blame anyone but himself. Hes in his second institution in a month. He doesnt have access to drink there. He can stay, accept the help given to him, get clean and stay clean. Do you think he will?

That doesnt change the fact that hes had as much professional help and care that is available. At what point do you stop saying 'Its an addiction, its not his fault.' Wel be going in circles til the day he dies

Addcitions can be broken, just ask any recovered drug or alcohol addict. It takes will power though. It doesnt matter how addicted you are to something, the choice is still there to not do it anymore. Hes a weak minded man who will look to blame anyone but himself. Hes in his second institution in a month. He doesnt have access to drink there. He can stay, accept the help given to him, get clean and stay clean. Do you think he will?

I thought addiction was a disease that never leaves somes, I didn't think there was such a thing as a recovered addict, only recovering, and they have to remain constantly vigilant the rest of their lives that they don't fall into the trap of believing they're 'better'.

Is that just hippy talk?

Guest alex

I don't know. I don't think you should ever stop trying to help someone like him though. I never said it's an addiction it's not his fault though. Surprised a medical professional should see it in such black and white terms to be honest.

Edited by alex

Guest alex
Probably a bit of both. Nothing in life is easy. But there comes a point when you need to stop blaming other people/things for your own downfalls and do something about it

I do agree in a way with you. I think he's a big baby and while it's down to things that have happened to him, his mental illness etc., I don't think he's blameless. It's really fucking sad whichever way you look at it.

I like to think Im good at my job but maybe its a good thing I work with kids and not long term patients as I probably dont have the right outlook or temprement for it.

I do genuinely hope he gets better, but he needs to stay out of the media first

Edited by J69

Guest alex
I like to think Im good at my job but maybe its a good thing I work with kids and not long term patients as I probably dont have the right outlook or temprement for it.

I do genuinely hope he gets better, but he needs to stay out of the media first

I think he craves the attention too. Again, he's very immature in that regard and it's part of what is destroying him ironically, i.e. the pressures of fame.