buying them in cheap and then selling them on years later for huge fees

Hadrian

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/05/ashley-message.html

Ashley lays it on the line to Keegan

NEWCASTLE'S WAY AHEAD

By AIDAN MAGEE

THE mood was polite if hardly convivial. In fact, Mike Ashley and Kevin Keegan sat about as far from each other as it's possible to be on a round table.

They exchanged nods and a couple of glances but, for most of Friday night, Ashley was engrossed in conversation with Gareth Southgate while Keegan spent his time signing autographs and chatting with Newcastle fans.

gThen again, billionaire owner and Toon manager had spent most of the day in each other's company with Keegan, it's fair to say, doing far more listening than talking.

So by the time they arrived at a fund-raising event for Sir Bobby Robson's cancer charity, there was nothing else that needed saying.

Keegan was under no illusion as to what was expected — indeed demanded — of him.

Madness

Ashley spelt out in no uncertain terms the million-pound madness at Newcastle was over... for good.

A strict blueprint had been set down at the meeting as the Sports Direct chief categorically stressed he will not sanction big-money moves for high-earning, established stars.

Instead, he told his team to scour the world to recruit the best up-and-coming talent.

A Newcastle insider said: "Mike Ashley is convinced there is a better way forward than just splashing the cash.

"That's what the club has always done in the past — and it's got them nowhere. So now there will be a massive shift in the way the club is run.

"There will be no more Michael Owen-style deals. Instead the club will be competing to capture the best youngsters and turn them into big stars.

"Look at what Arsene Wenger has done at Arsenal. He has made them a major force in England and Europe without breaking the bank.

"He's a master at finding undiscovered stars, buying them in cheap and then selling them on years later for huge fees.

Silverware

"Look at what David Moyes has achieved at Everton. The same goes for Villa and Blackburn. Mike knows we have to be realistic and admit we cannot compete financially with the likes of United and Chelsea.

"Arsenal and Liverpool are also in a different league because they cash in on the Champions League. The top four enjoy first pick of the best players because they offer Champions League action and a chance of silverware.

"So we can't compete financially and we can't compete when it comes to attracting the top stars. But we can beat them in other ways. Look at Wigan and Antonio Valencia. United are said to be ready to pay £14m for him.

"I'm sure we'd like him here, too, but we need to be signing the likes of Valencia early.

"It will be difficult but we are sure if Villa, Everton, Tottenham, Blackburn and even Wigan can do it, so can we."

Nightmare

Our top source added: "When Mike bought the club it was £100m in debt and the wage bill was an incredible £70m out of a turnover of £90m.

"That's because the people here had chased the dream but ended up in a nightmare. As a result it was a failing, fading club on and off the pitch. Newcastle were one of the three or four biggest spenders in the Premier League but never one of the top sides.

"They had the fifth biggest wage bill in the league but did they finish fifth? Nowhere near."

Newcastle broke the British record to lure Alan Shearer for £15m and then splashed out £16m for Michael Owen.

Since arriving from Real Madrid, Owen's £120,000-a-week wages total another £16m.

With just 40 appearances to his name, he has cost £800,000 per match with his 19 goals working out at an incredible £1.7m a strike.

The Toon source added: "No one's blaming Michael but someone has to pick up the tab — and it is a helluva big tab.

Plan

"Obafemi Martins cost £7m, Alan Smith £6m and Damien Duff £5m and they are all on more than £50,000 a week. So are Mark Viduka, Nicky Butt, Geremi, Emre and Shay Given.

"So it's a club that's spent big, paid big, acted big but delivered oh so little. Surely no one needs reminding this club hasn't won a thing since 1969!

"Now it is a different story. Mike has a proper, professional business plan and Kevin Keegan is a part of it. But throwing money around irresponsibly is definitely NOT."

"Kevin was given a full briefing of that plan when he was offered the job and he was happy.

"And yes it's fair to say he has been reminded of the way forward on Friday, but in a good meeting where again everyone emerged happy.

"Now we are all going off to put those plans into operation so we can look forward to making real progress next season."

i remember flogging beardsley and gazza and twaddle , dont want togo back to that .

also owens agents poped a story in there aswell , nice timing i think, certainly earning his 10% .

United aim to land Toon striker for £7million

FERGIE LAUNCHES OWEN BID

By ANDY DUNN and DAVID HARRISON

MANCHESTER UNITED have taken the first steps in a sensational move to sign Michael Owen.

Informal contact has been made between United and Owen's representatives over a summer transfer.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes he can snap up the England striker for a cut-price £7million and is pushing for a speedy conclusion to the deal.

The United boss is convinced Owen can provide the missing ingredient to his strike force – a penalty box predator who can convert half chances.

Fergie confirmed this week that an Owen-type striker was high on his list of summer targets.

Louis Saha looks certain to be unloaded and Sir Alex said: "We will buy. Along with Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney, we may need experience in one forward position, somebody to take over from Ryan Giggs eventually."

Owen's recent goal-scoring form has convinced Fergie he can still cut it at the highest level. However, he would probably want to sign the striker on an incentive-based contract, dependent on games and goals.

Immediate

United's interest comes at a time when Owen's future at Newcastle has been thrown into serious doubt.

Talks have yet to begin on a new contract and the indications are that he will be expected to take a £40,000-a-week cut on his £120,000-a-week earnings.

That will be rejected by Owen and he will either press for an immediate move or see out the last year of his deal and go for free in 2009.

Meanwhile, Fergie will pick up a £500,000 bonus if he leads United to the double and nd his weekly wages will rise from £70,000 to £90,000.

and

NEWCASTLE winger James Milner is a shock target for Rafa Benitez in a player swap deal.

The Geordies are interested in five Liverpool first-teamers, with John Arne Riise and Jermaine Pennant top of their list.

And Benitez is ready to negotiate an exchange with 22-year-old Milner heading to Anfield.

Milner moved to St James’ Park from Leeds in 2004, and also enjoyed a successful loan spell at Aston Villa, but despite his potential as a teenager he has never made the step up many expected.

Liverpool’s interest in the wide man underlines where Benitez’ priorities lie as he looks to raise funds and juggle his squad with wheeling and dealing.

With Gareth Barry and Borussia Dortmund’s Phillip Degen also among his targets, a summer of exciting purchases does not appear to be on the Anfield agenda.

Norwegian Riise is thought to favour a move to the North East.

He held talks with Benitez last week and was told he can leave Liverpool. Riise was offered to Aston Villa as part of the Barry deal, but will consider his options.

our little club that nobody wants to talk aboout :D

Edited by Hadrian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"That's what the club has always done in the past — and it's got them nowhere.

From the Championship to 3rd in the Premier League?

An array of fantastic finishes.

Being the best team in the Premier League at one point

Nearly Winning it

Champions League Football

UEFA Cup football (semi final and quarter)

2 F.A Cup Finals

A ground full of 52K fans

Establishing the football club in the modern era

Housing the some of the greatest players the league has ever seen

Housing the top goal scorer in the league

Yeh not a fucking thing!

:D

aye wound me up those bit like , shoving shearers 15mill in our face like it wasnt worth every penny spent aswell , and failing to mention the difference between us and arsenal in spending since the prem started is about the same amount of cash that souness spent :D

While it can't be argued that we've won nothing for decades, the idea that by NOT spending money we're going to be successful is insane.

There's no reason why we can't sign good young players but I'm bit cheesed off if that's all we're going to do.

You can Ashleys point tho`, Players like Santa-Cruz,Bentley,Arteta,Cahill,Valencie etc have moved to smaller clubs for average fee`s and he`s gotta be thinkin why should I spunk £15-20m on one player when I could get 3 or 4.

Got to take your hat off to Hughes for gettin Bentley,Santa-Cruz and McCarthey for near bugger all

Plus our best player this season wasnt a big money star player, I`m talkin` Beye

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

The more I think about it, the more I reckon Ashley wants the £100m back he paid off our debt with. We'll see. I posted ages ago that I thought we needed to spend £50m this summer to challenge Everton and Spurs and I still think that.

Finding young stars for the future is great but once they prove to be something good they will want to move to London, Madrid or Milan and NUFC will just stagnate for the next twenty years around the middle of the table. However, by that time Ashley will have got his cash back, which will be nice for him.

Time will tell.

You can can tell Ashley isn't a football man, think ''long term'' :D

Thinking long term is a smart move on his part and does not mean he`s not a football man. It means London Mike is a clever football man. If he`d continued with your previous policy you`d do a Leeds big time.

You can can tell Ashley isn't a football man, think ''long term'' :D

Thinking long term is a smart move on his part and does not mean he`s not a football man. It means London Mike is a clever football man. If he`d continued with your previous policy you`d do a Leeds big time.

That's what I'm saying :D

Milner to Liverpool...................interesting.

If he worked on his final ball he would be a lot better than what he is.

These articles are getting more and more alike now, he was more than willing to pay £18m for Luka Modric and that would be riskier than paying £16m for Owen so I think Ashley will give Keegan a decent transfer budget.

Milner to Liverpool...................interesting.

If he worked on his final ball he would be a lot better than what he is.

Rafa will sort that out :D

These articles are getting more and more alike now, he was more than willing to pay £18m for Luka Modric and that would be riskier than paying £16m for Owen so I think Ashley will give Keegan a decent transfer budget.

Definitely and rather than splash out £20m/£100k per week on players on their way down I for one am delighted at the long term approach

buying youngsters is all well and good , but your first team needs tobe in a good condition first of all .

all these myths about wenger do us no good either , its only the past 5 year that he's been bringing the youth in as much as he has , past 3 year is when he has been working them in more than ever (funny no trophys ehh) .

pre cesc he was forking out 10mills for henrys ect .

buying youngsters is all well and good , but your first team needs tobe in a good condition first of all .

all these myths about wenger do us no good either , its only the past 5 year that he's been bringing the youth in as much as he has , past 3 year is when he has been working them in more than ever (funny no trophys ehh) .

pre cesc he was forking out 10mills for henrys ect .

9m for Woodgate, 18m for Modric. It looks like we'll buy both youth and established first teamers

i think the budgets spilt tbh , kev's got a bit and wise has a bit .

modric was an age thing why we went in so heavily i reckon , woodgate cos we looked desperate .

Nearly Winning it

2 F.A Cup Finals

Yeh not a fucking thing!

interesting, I wonder how many other people that thought the grass would be greener .........

This is the shite I've always sensed was waiting to come out

At least now its confirmed - if true - and we can get on with the job of heading for real mediocrity and being a feeder club for the ambitious clubs again.

I'm clinging to the fact that this is an exaggeration or not totally true on the basis that Keegan hasn't pissed off.

Nearly Winning it

2 F.A Cup Finals

Yeh not a fucking thing!

interesting, I wonder how many other people that thought the grass would be greener .........

At least now its confirmed - if true - and we can get on with the job of heading for real mediocrity and being a feeder club for the ambitious clubs again.

I'm clinging to the fact that this is an exaggeration or not totally true on the basis that Keegan hasn't pissed off.

Well I would hate to be part of a feeder club. Football is sometimes devoid of logic, I not sure if there is anything worse the total Premier league deadlock, finishing 10th every season and watching all our players float up to the top four while a billionaire gets richer.

However i think this will not be the case, Keegan and Wise will bring in different types of players and hopefully the parallels will compliment each other and it will be a success.

Nearly Winning it

2 F.A Cup Finals

Yeh not a fucking thing!

Well I would hate to be part of a feeder club. Football is sometimes devoid of logic, I not sure if there is anything worse the total Premier league deadlock, finishing 10th every season and watching all our players float up to the top four while a billionaire gets richer.

However i think this will not be the case, Keegan and Wise will bring in different types of players and hopefully the parallels will compliment each other and it will be a success.

it would appear - reading into comments - that Keegan doesn't plan to stay past the end of his contract, when he will be 60.

That gives him 3 years, until the time we'll have to replace him again. What happened last time ie unfulfilled promise for someone to mess up ....... Keegan can deliver what we want but if they don't back him, the chance could be lost, again.

How much were we planning to sell on Modric and Woodgate for then?

we don't know because they both turned us down, for Spurs........