• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind, it's ok for happy hour cocktails when nee one is in :blink:

40378[/snapback]

:D

40379[/snapback]

I've seen him in there drinking said cocktails. At one point he asked them to turn the music down cos he couldn't concentrate on his poetry. :lol:

40386[/snapback]

Wacky's stuff need serious concentration tbh

40389[/snapback]

You only have to ask if you want another masterpiece rattled off ;)

Mind, it's ok for happy hour cocktails when nee one is in :blink:

40378[/snapback]

40379[/snapback]

I've seen him in there drinking said cocktails. At one point he asked them to turn the music down cos he couldn't concentrate on his poetry. :lol:

40386[/snapback]

Wacky's stuff need serious concentration tbh

40389[/snapback]

You only have to ask if you want another masterpiece rattled off ;)

40398[/snapback]

Just keep your hands where we can all see them if you dont mind.

not tight, but very debt free which is more than can be said for most of my ex uni mates!

na, if theres  few of us in the pub il get the rounds in and make up for it.

reminds me actually, when i was in the states went for some grub with 3 southerners. i had a $6 burger and a free glass of water and put $12 for the final bill to cover the tip etc. the other 3 had  $6 burgers and 6 bottles of bud each. the final bill came to about $80 and they all had a go that i wouldnt put $20 in (for a $6 burger).

honest question was that me being tight or just not letting meself be taken for a ride.

40367[/snapback]

Good question. Normally in a situation like that where you're round a table and there's a few of you I would just put in a quarter (if there was 4 of you) regardless of if I'd had less. If one person wasn't drinking though and blatantly had less then I'd put more in to cover for that but I wouldn't necessarily expect others to do the same.

In other words, the onus was on them to cover for you rather than you to pay a quarter of the total, but seen as they wouldn't, if it was me, I just would have hoyed in a $20.

40383[/snapback]

Correct.

Which brings me to another annoying student habit - quarrelling on how to split a bill, or even worse, using calculators! BASTARDS!

40392[/snapback]

I used to know this lad and lass that were going out - they'd been seeing each other for years, and when the bill came they would immediately grab it, work out everyone's share to the penny, and pass pennies between the two of them to make sure they each paid their exact share even though they lived together. It used to wind me up no end. :D:lol:

not tight, but very debt free which is more than can be said for most of my ex uni mates!

reminds me actually, when i was in the states went for some grub with 3 southerners. i had a $6 burger and a free glass of water and put $12 for the final bill to cover the tip etc. the other 3 had  $6 burgers and 6 bottles of bud each. the final bill came to about $80 and they all had a go that i wouldnt put $20 in (for a $6 burger).

honest question was that me being tight or just not letting meself be taken for a ride.

40367[/snapback]

Good question. Normally in a situation like that where you're round a table and there's a few of you I would just put in a quarter (if there was 4 of you) regardless of if I'd had less. If one person wasn't drinking though and blatantly had less then I'd put more in to cover for that but I wouldn't necessarily expect others to do the same.

In other words, the onus was on them to cover for you rather than you to pay a quarter of the total, but seen as they wouldn't, if it was me, I just would have hoyed in a $20.

40383[/snapback]

Correct.

Which brings me to another annoying student habit - quarrelling on how to split a bill, or even worse, using calculators! BASTARDS!

40392[/snapback]

I used to know this lad and lass that were going out - they'd been seeing each other for years, and when the bill came they would immediately grab it, work out everyone's share to the penny, and pass pennies between the two of them to make sure they each paid their exact share even though they lived together. It used to wind me up no end. :D:lol:

40402[/snapback]

And they say romance is dead.

We have two accountants that usually come to our work do's who grab the bill and tell me to the exact penny how much I owe. Thing is, after downing a few bottles of wine, I'm grateful for the help.

40406[/snapback]

Without the calculator too I bet. In a sort of a Dustin Hoffman-esque 'rainman' way. Like Gemmill does.

40367[/snapback]

40383[/snapback]

Correct.

40392[/snapback]

40402[/snapback]

And they say romance is dead.

40405[/snapback]

One decimal point in the wrong place and it could be the end of the road for the loving couple.

I got to Northumbria, I'm in second year now, so I haven't noticed it as much this time around, but there was a bit of that 'fake crazy' acting at Freshers week last year. Having said that, most people seemed/seem reletively normal, although encounters with Newcastle Uni students would suggest that they're worse. I've met Student Gwant stereotypes that go there. Mind you, they're Ra's (as they are known as at Northumbria) - a lot of them are posh where as here, most people seem to be pretty normal and there's lots more who are local as well.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

Looking back, I think i was probably 'fake crazy' in Fresher's Week, but then it's all a myth peddled by those in charge of colleges or halls (the sort of person who over time at Uni you come to despise). They whip everyone up into a frenzy and not knowing any better at that age, everyone follows. It's annoying as hell for everyone else, but I don't mind. It's when they've been to uni for two years and still haven't done any growing up, that's when it gets annoying.

I went on a Fresher's Week bar crawl in my final (4th) year and hated every minute of it (except for all the ladies of course). I'm going back down at the end of next week to see some mates and I dread to see what the antics are like now I'm officially a workperson for the first time ever.

I'm officially a workperson for the first time ever.

40489[/snapback]

One less sponger, It's a start. You'll be using soap before you know it

40495[/snapback]

One student sterotype I never fitted into!

I agree with the sentiments of this thread. I'm a student and I can't stand most of em.

40504[/snapback]

It's the politically-correct idealists who get on my tits.

"You can't say that, someoneorother may take offence"

We had this one girl who had a campaign to stop 'slave auctions' (charity events where people auction themselves off as skivvies for the night) and rename them 'helper auctions'. She succeeded. Still, she was easy to wind up.

The whole idea of Uni is surely to get some kind of grip of reality yet some emerge even further away than ever.

I agree with the sentiments of this thread. I'm a student and I can't stand most of em.

40504[/snapback]

We had this one girl who had a campaign to stop 'slave auctions' (charity events where people auction themselves off as skivvies for the night) and rename them 'helper auctions'. She succeeded. Still, she was easy to wind up.

The whole idea of Uni is surely to get some kind of grip of reality yet some emerge even further away than ever.

40506[/snapback]

I knew a student "wimmin" once who insisted history should be called personstory. It had never ocurred to me that history was a sexist word before. :D

40504[/snapback]

40506[/snapback]

I knew a student "wimmin" once who insisted history should be called personstory. It had never ocurred to me that history was a sexist word before. :D

40508[/snapback]

Sounds like the sort of person you just to want to poke in the fucking eye.

"Well I think it should be called personsto...ARGH! What was that for?"

:lol:

I'm considering whether to go to uni.

A few years of pissing about then you come out with about 20k of debt.

Is it really worth it?

40510[/snapback]

If you do a real degree that actually means something then yes, if you're doing some bollocks degree then no as when you graduate you with one of them you can't get a job as alot of folk i know have just found out.

And as for students there are as many twats in them as there are in any other demographic. You don't really notice the normal students just the annoying as hell twats who think they are being clever.

Is it really worth it?

40510[/snapback]

You need to have your mind firmly made up before you go into your second year of your course at college. You get UCAS rammed down your throat and even if you are slightly thinking about uni you'll be made to fill in the form. Before you know it you are being interviewed and accepted on condition you get the grades. When you get to that point you're almost guaranteed to be going. Even if you don't get the grades you'll find yourself looking to clearing to get into any course. Colleges/sixth forms need to offer more options instead of ramming the University option down peoples throats.

Is it really worth it?

40510[/snapback]

If you do a real degree that actually means something then yes, if you're doing some bollocks degree then no as when you graduate you with one of them you can't get a job as alot of folk i know have just found out.

And as for students there are as many twats in them as there are in any other demographic. You don't really notice the normal students just the annoying as hell twats who think they are being clever.

40511[/snapback]

Agree, can't say i've had any problem with students before i was one, while i was one or now that i'm not one again. And the worst you'll get with students is somebody annoying, the worst in other elements of society like charvs doesn't bare thinking about!

40511[/snapback]

I think that's bollocks personally. To lots of students being a student is taken as an excuse to actively behave like a twat for 3 years. So by definition you're going to come across more twats.

40511[/snapback]

I think that's bollocks personally. To lots of students being a student is taken as an excuse to actively behave like a twat for 3 years. So by definition you're going to come across more twats.

40516[/snapback]

I don't think it is bollocks. I've spent 4 years at Newcastle uni where the ones people are going on about tend to be and i never found it to be the case and i also went on nights out to both unis when i wasn't there but had friends who were.

40511[/snapback]

40516[/snapback]

I don't think it is bollocks. I've spent 4 years at Newcastle uni where the ones people are going on about tend to be and i never found it to be the case and i also went on nights out to both unis when i wasn't there but had friends who were.

40518[/snapback]

Agree with you Papa. In the vast majority of cases, the worst case scenario of a student is being irritating or annoying. In general they are not violent or criminally minded though (other than stealing a few cones), so they don't bother me really.

40511[/snapback]

40516[/snapback]

40518[/snapback]

Well I spent 3 years at Newcastle and all I can say is that if you went through 4 years and managed to avoid all the twats, you're very lucky because they were pretty much wall to wall when I was there.

40511[/snapback]

40516[/snapback]

40518[/snapback]

Agree with you Papa. In the vast majority of cases, the worst case scenario of a student is being irritating or annoying. In general they are not violent or criminally minded though (other than stealing a few cones), so they don't bother me really.

40519[/snapback]

wellington3083b.jpg

Your handiwork? :D