Uh oh

Snake

Keegan ''I think Everton were good today''

The Daily Mail :

Ashley will sack Keegan to buy Everton

Keegan walks out on Newcastle

Keegan to buy Everton

Keegan to surf a magical prawn sandwhich through the realms of space and time while zapping lasers at David Bowie eating a pringle-sandwich -biscuit-cake...

That might be a good thing not a bad thing.

True but my money would be on a bad thing

I'm not so sure.

Keegan/Newcastle has a right to be mighty pissed off with the way the press report on the club. If he's just cutting off press access to his players I wouldn't blame him.

The Daily Mail :

Keegan to buy Everton

Keegan to surf a magical prawn sandwhich through the realms of space and time while zapping lasers at David Bowie eating a pringle-sandwich -biscuit-cake...

That would be one hell of a trip.

The Daily Mail :

Keegan to buy Everton

That would be one hell of a trip.

:D

He's a football man...

bowiesapceza6.jpg

I'm not so sure.

Keegan/Newcastle has a right to be mighty pissed off with the way the press report on the club. If he's just cutting off press access to his players I wouldn't blame him.

They all should have been gagged years ago. Notice Nicky Butt never seems to speak to them.

I'm not so sure.

You might be right actually. That's the only reason I can think for him doing it though. Weird.

Of course it just gives them more ammunition for this week if that IS the case.

By the way, I spotted a rare breed today, a Newspaper article that's spot on....

FIRST, the good news. I can’t see Kevin Keegan volunteering to quit Newcastle United a second time (third if you count his ‘copter ride into retirement).

The bad news is I’m not sure he will stay on through desire rather than necessity.

Worse still, I fear Mike Ashley doesn’t really know – and therefore doesn’t really care about – the trouble to be caused by making a martyr of KK, whether by paying him to quit or otherwise.

Not by a long chalk.

Yes, those who are tipping King Kev to walk uninvited into the sunset after walking out of Goodison Park today might want to ask themselves a simple question:

Can he afford to?

His financial, if not now his day to day, commitment to his Soccer Circus – a cool £2.37 million two years ago, accounts have suggested – makes me wonder.

And I wish I was any more certain that talk of Keegan’s unease with the status quo at St James’s Park was just as dubious.

It pains me to say it, but he stopped looking like a manager being told “whatever you want” long before being summoned to see Ashley on Friday.

Pains me, if only because I’m loath to legitimise certain London hacks who continue to make Magpie mischief from afar.

Mischief? What other description suits people who damn Keegan if he does and if he doesn’t, and treat Newcastle the same way.

It’s only a month or two since those journalists were dismissing KK, the club and its fans as stargazing dreamers united only by an inflated opinion of their place in football’s firmament.

Yet the moment they finally listen to him tell it like it is — ie that the Premier League’s Big Four is a closed shop — he is accused of negativity and Newcastle of being a club at civil war.

If it is, Ashley should be having a word with himself, not with his manager.

After all, it’s Ashley who insisted on a new backroom set-up which, with Keegan forced to talk about “ours” and “their” transfer wish-lists, invites the notion of internal rifts

And it’s not even as if last week was the first time Keegan has talked of the Champions League (see the Sunday Sun, April 20) or superstar players (Sunday Sun, March 20!) being out of reach.

It seems selective hearing, as it is in my profession, may be one of Ashley’s stocks in trade.

So it’s a truly sorry pass if Newcastle’s absentee landlord is as prepared as anyone in what was once Fleet Street to crucify the Messiah for telling home truths.

But Ashley will be sorrier still if he expected KK to grovel to him on Friday.

Never mind summoning him to his office like some naughty schoolboy, it’s the United owner who may need teaching a thing or two.

First off that, no matter the modest statistics of his recent reign, Kev remains king on Tyneside.

Other journalists claimed that Ashley went into Friday’s pow wow ready to warn Keegan against trying to resign.

But, for the reasons already mentioned, that was never going to happen.

For those same reasons, my money would have been on KK to be the one issuing an ultimatum . . .

Back me or sack me.

For it seems to me that much of the rest of Keegan’s recent patter — too subtle to be remarked upon by our friends in the south — has been aimed at consolidating a position of power.

Seems to me that the manager who made a fine art out of playing brinkmanship with the Newcastle board during his last coming — Mr “Not Like It Said In The Brochure” — has been discreetly drawing up battle lines.

Barbs have quietly been dropped. Land-mines subtly laid.

His latest comments regarding the lingering uncertainty over Michael Owen’s future — “that’s why I said eight weeks ago we should tie him up” — being a case in point.

And all done while armour-plated with the unbending support of his subjects.

He could have walked to the capital on Friday and not encountered a single United fan who disagrees with him — on the top four, on the “boring” Premier League, on Owen, on anything — en route.

In taking on Keegan, Newcastle’s top brass — replica shirt-wearers or not — would take on the Geordie Nation.

Replace Keegan with Dennis Wise, and it would surely be a case of “taxi for Ashley”.

And whatever the outcome of a civil war, what odds that it would leave Newcastle United better equipped to bridge the gap on the Premier League elite, mention of which caused such an unholy, unnecessary fuss last week.

Of course it just gives them more ammunition for this week if that IS the case.

By the way, I spotted a rare breed today, a Newspaper article that's spot on....

FIRST, the good news. I can’t see Kevin Keegan volunteering to quit Newcastle United a second time (third if you count his ‘copter ride into retirement).

The bad news is I’m not sure he will stay on through desire rather than necessity.

Worse still, I fear Mike Ashley doesn’t really know – and therefore doesn’t really care about – the trouble to be caused by making a martyr of KK, whether by paying him to quit or otherwise.

Not by a long chalk.

Yes, those who are tipping King Kev to walk uninvited into the sunset after walking out of Goodison Park today might want to ask themselves a simple question:

Can he afford to?

His financial, if not now his day to day, commitment to his Soccer Circus – a cool £2.37 million two years ago, accounts have suggested – makes me wonder.

And I wish I was any more certain that talk of Keegan’s unease with the status quo at St James’s Park was just as dubious.

It pains me to say it, but he stopped looking like a manager being told “whatever you want” long before being summoned to see Ashley on Friday.

Pains me, if only because I’m loath to legitimise certain London hacks who continue to make Magpie mischief from afar.

Mischief? What other description suits people who damn Keegan if he does and if he doesn’t, and treat Newcastle the same way.

It’s only a month or two since those journalists were dismissing KK, the club and its fans as stargazing dreamers united only by an inflated opinion of their place in football’s firmament.

Yet the moment they finally listen to him tell it like it is — ie that the Premier League’s Big Four is a closed shop — he is accused of negativity and Newcastle of being a club at civil war.

If it is, Ashley should be having a word with himself, not with his manager.

After all, it’s Ashley who insisted on a new backroom set-up which, with Keegan forced to talk about “ours” and “their” transfer wish-lists, invites the notion of internal rifts

And it’s not even as if last week was the first time Keegan has talked of the Champions League (see the Sunday Sun, April 20) or superstar players (Sunday Sun, March 20!) being out of reach.

It seems selective hearing, as it is in my profession, may be one of Ashley’s stocks in trade.

So it’s a truly sorry pass if Newcastle’s absentee landlord is as prepared as anyone in what was once Fleet Street to crucify the Messiah for telling home truths.

But Ashley will be sorrier still if he expected KK to grovel to him on Friday.

Never mind summoning him to his office like some naughty schoolboy, it’s the United owner who may need teaching a thing or two.

First off that, no matter the modest statistics of his recent reign, Kev remains king on Tyneside.

Other journalists claimed that Ashley went into Friday’s pow wow ready to warn Keegan against trying to resign.

But, for the reasons already mentioned, that was never going to happen.

For those same reasons, my money would have been on KK to be the one issuing an ultimatum . . .

Back me or sack me.

For it seems to me that much of the rest of Keegan’s recent patter — too subtle to be remarked upon by our friends in the south — has been aimed at consolidating a position of power.

Seems to me that the manager who made a fine art out of playing brinkmanship with the Newcastle board during his last coming — Mr “Not Like It Said In The Brochure” — has been discreetly drawing up battle lines.

Barbs have quietly been dropped. Land-mines subtly laid.

His latest comments regarding the lingering uncertainty over Michael Owen’s future — “that’s why I said eight weeks ago we should tie him up” — being a case in point.

And all done while armour-plated with the unbending support of his subjects.

He could have walked to the capital on Friday and not encountered a single United fan who disagrees with him — on the top four, on the “boring” Premier League, on Owen, on anything — en route.

In taking on Keegan, Newcastle’s top brass — replica shirt-wearers or not — would take on the Geordie Nation.

Replace Keegan with Dennis Wise, and it would surely be a case of “taxi for Ashley”.

And whatever the outcome of a civil war, what odds that it would leave Newcastle United better equipped to bridge the gap on the Premier League elite, mention of which caused such an unholy, unnecessary fuss last week.

I could hardly understand a word of that! :D

The Daily Mail :

Keegan to buy Everton

Your menat to be keeping quiet about that. :icon_lol:

Keegan confirms he's staying :D

Where :icon_lol:

On the interview on the BBC match report.

"It was a good meeting. It was one that we needed to have, and I'm not gonna elaborate on that."

He says something along those lines.

Edited by Gemmill

"It was a good meeting. It was one that we needed to have, and I'm not gonna elaborate on that."

Good, good

The planning for next season starts now!

Come on Kev, you can do it!

First and foremost I still think the majority of guff reported on last week by the press was exagerated beyond what was needed - however, IF even the slightest scrap were true about Mike Ashley then in my eyes he might as well pack his pags and fuck off right now. Keegan is the Messiah on Tyneside for a very good reason, that reason is no different now than it was all those years ago. I must admit after watching that BBC post-match interview today I really don't like the sound of that meeting or the fact that Kev said it was 'needed', makes me think Ashley's sticking his oar in too much and hampering things more than helping. I hope, for the sake of the club and all of us that there really isn't a power struggle between Kev and Ashley because Kev will win everytime for me - if Ashley wants success he needs to button it, stay in the background and be the silent financial backing for us otherwise it will ruin everything... and the Toon hasn't had anywhere near as much possible momentum to do great things as it has right now.

Currently, I'm very nervous about our future.

First and foremost I still think the majority of guff reported on last week by the press was exagerated beyond what was needed - however, IF even the slightest scrap were true about Mike Ashley then in my eyes he might as well pack his pags and fuck off right now. Keegan is the Messiah on Tyneside for a very good reason, that reason is no different now than it was all those years ago. I must admit after watching that BBC post-match interview today I really don't like the sound of that meeting or the fact that Kev said it was 'needed', makes me think Ashley's sticking his oar in too much and hampering things more than helping. I hope, for the sake of the club and all of us that there really isn't a power struggle between Kev and Ashley because Kev will win everytime for me - if Ashley wants success he needs to button it, stay in the background and be the silent financial backing for us otherwise it will ruin everything... and the Toon hasn't had anywhere near as much possible momentum to do great things as it has right now.

Currently, I'm very nervous about our future.

thats pretty much how I see it, although Keegan would not win, as Ashley holds the power.

If he sacked him, it would be a serious mistake by him, he would need to pull one hell of a rabbit out of the hat to get away with it.

I do think there is a power struggle here, I think that Ashley would have been quite annoyed with Keegans comments, with justification, but if Ashley attempted to lay the law down to Keegan then Keegan would retaliate with a simple "back me or sack me" knowing he has all of us on his side.

They may have reached a compromise for the moment, but the situation now will be that Ashley knows he can't sack Keegan, and Keegan knows he can't threaten to resign because Ashley would be quite happy to accept it.

From our point of view, the situation is that economic prudency may be imposed on Keegan - although not as much as a week ago - and Ashley simply doesn't understand enough about football to realise what he's doing nor does he understand that he is preventing Keegan from giving us all the club we want. Because Keegan can do it, and a replacement may not.

If this is correct, then it will rear its ugly head again.

he also said something along the lines of "while I'm disappointed we have to carry on and move forward"

A probable compromise of sorts has been reached here, but knowing Keegans thirst for success as we do, to me it just provides more possible proof that their ambition isn't what Keegan was hoping for.

he also said something along the lines of "while I'm disappointed we have to carry on and move forward"

A probable compromise of sorts has been reached here, but knowing Keegans thirst for success as we do, to me it just provides more possible proof that their ambition isn't what Keegan was hoping for.

Where was that? :icon_lol:

I watched the whole BBC interview and can't remember hearing the word 'disappointed'. Unless it was about the match, which would be irrelevant.

Just checked again and he said 'I've told the players - and it might disappoint them (grins) - but I'm still here and I'm gonna be here, and I want to help take this club back up the table...'

Bit of selective hearing there methinks.