11 Derby

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
IMO there is very little differance from Everton to us.

If KK had been here all season we still wouldn't have got that many points imo. They're better all over the pitch than us.

Table says different though, doesn't it??

Torres won't like this one bit - shows that Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are away on their own and it definitely is a top 3 rather than a top 4. If you're going to include Liverpool in the bracket, then surely Everton are in with a shout and claim it is a top 5?

Highlights how close we actually were to the other end of the table - Spurs as well for that matter. Reading are far too close to us.

Torres won't like this one bit - shows that Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are away on their own and it definitely is a top 3 rather than a top 4. If you're going to include Liverpool in the bracket, then surely Everton are in with a shout and claim it is a top 5?

Highlights how close we actually were to the other end of the table - Spurs as well for that matter. Reading are far too close to us.

If KK had been here all season you could conservatively add 12 points to our tally.

Guest alex

Optimistically anyway. I think we'd have done better against the likes of Derby for definite but, iirc, KK's taken about 1 point off the top 10 sides.

Guest alex

It's funny how close Arsenal were in the end when you consider that dreadful run they had with about 10 games to go.

Chelsea and Arsenal are away on their own and it definitely is a top 3 rather than a top 4. If you're going to include Liverpool in the bracket, then surely Everton are in with a shout and claim it is a top 5?

But liverpool were closer to Arsenal than Everton were to them.

And in turn, Everton were further from Liverpool than Villa were from them.

I think that confirms it to be a top 4.

Followed by two distinct groups...

Everton, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Man City.

West Ham, Spurs, Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Sunderland, Bolton, Fulham.

It'll not be too difficult to jump from the last group into the middle, but near impossible for any team of either group to make it into the top.

Edited by Happy Face

If KK had been here all season you could conservatively add 12 points to our tally.

'What ifs' are pointless tbh. KK wasn't here all season and therefore that's what we've ended up with. Over the period of the past 9 months, Everton were 18 points better than us - that's not even open for debate.

If they're in the same position after the summer, remains to be seen. I'm hopeful the gap will reduce but then we've been saying that for the last 5 years.

Yup.

Chelsea and Arsenal are away on their own and it definitely is a top 3 rather than a top 4. If you're going to include Liverpool in the bracket, then surely Everton are in with a shout and claim it is a top 5?

West Ham, Spurs, Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Sunderland, Bolton, Fulham, Reading, Birmingham.

It'll not be too difficult to jump from the last group into the middle, but near impossible for any team of either group to make it into the top.

True....

I'd still stick the top 3 out on their own though - they were the only 3 who could realistically win the league. Liverpool are in a bit of a limbo state IMO. Not quite at the top but far enough away from the chasing pack.

West Ham, Spurs, Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Sunderland, Bolton, Fulham, Reading, Birmingham.

True....

I'd still stick the top 3 out on their own though - they were the only 3 who could realistically win the league. Liverpool are in a bit of a limbo state IMO. Not quite at the top but far enough away from the chasing pack.

Unless Arsenal spend they are not getting back to where they were 5 years ago.

True....

Exactly, Mike Ashley: take note.

True....

Not necessarily. What if Man Utd are beset by injury problems? What if Chelsea sell players and don't replace them well? What if Wenger unearths more youthful talent for pittance?

Historically they've not spent massive amounts and the only really successful expensive aquisition I can think of was Henry. I wouldn't under-estimate them at any cost.

Guest alex

True....

Not necessarily. What if Man Utd are beset by injury problems? What if Chelsea sell players and don't replace them well? What if Wenger unearths more youthful talent for pittance?

Historically they've not spent massive amounts and the only really successful expensive aquisition I can think of was Henry. I wouldn't under-estimate them at any cost.

Wiltord and Reyes suggest he's better off not spending a lot.

True....

Off the top of my head

Wiltord ? £12m ? Eduardo £8m ? Franny Jeffers £10m ?

True....

Off the top of my head

Wiltord ? £12m ? Eduardo £8m ? Franny Jeffers £10m ?

And which one of them was a success?

I didn't make it clear but I was aligning their spends to their success at that time. None of these contributed to the success they had. I agree he has splashed the cash in the past but Henry aside, none of it resulted in the results on the pitch.

Forgot about Jeffers. SBR was in for him too at the time. We got Bellamy instead. Lucky or what?

Aye luckily he turned us down and we got Bellamy, same with Robert and Zenden as well iirc.

Although Wenger has huge respect in the transfer market, he has bought some unmitigated shite:

Luis Boa Morte, Richard Wright, Stefan Malz, Christopher Wreh, Jeremie Aliadiere, Davor Suker, Gilles Grimandi, Remi Garde, Kaba Diawara, Junichi Inamoto, Igor Stepanovs, Nelson Vivas, Oleg Luzhny, David Grondin, Pascal Cygan.