Keegan & Co head for France as Newcastle look to bring in striker Gomis

Jimbo

29/03/2008 - RANGERS are on the trail of £8 million-rated St Etienne striker Befetimbi Gomis.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/39528/Walter-wants-Gomis

What;'s happened in 6 weeks to double his value?

Bit like the Boumsong situation only this way we cut out the middle man.

A million more than Modric for someone almost exactly the same age, who's played 3/4 as many club games and no internationals compared to 24 games and starting to run the show for Croatia.

We're being mugged, but if we're going to bring anyone in maybe we have to accept that. I just wonder how he'd fit into the team. Who's place is he taking?

I imagine it's a little harder to get into the French side Nicos.

My point is he hasn't been tested against the best. He scored one against Lyon, but otherwise it's the likes of Metz, Lens and Toulouse where he's got his goals, French 1st division relegation bait. Ameobi is our all time second highest scorer in Europe off similar opposition.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/FRA/teams/StEtienne.html

You can only score against the teams you play, so he might cut it against Man U, Chelsea and that. But £17.5M+ still seems high to me for someone with his (lack of) experience.

It's how the market is now man.

Right, I think we should hold out for £20M for Ameobi then. :icon_lol:

If England International and European cup winner Peter Crouch is going for £6M cheaper the market is fucked up.

where's he going?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29/03/2008 - RANGERS are on the trail of £8 million-rated St Etienne striker Befetimbi Gomis.

A million more than Modric for someone almost exactly the same age, who's played 3/4 as many club games and no internationals compared to 24 games and starting to run the show for Croatia.

We're being mugged, but if we're going to bring anyone in maybe we have to accept that. I just wonder how he'd fit into the team. Who's place is he taking?

My point is he hasn't been tested against the best. He scored one against Lyon, but otherwise it's the likes of Metz, Lens and Toulouse where he's got his goals, French 1st division relegation bait. Ameobi is our all time second highest scorer in Europe off similar opposition.

You can only score against the teams you play, so he might cut it against Man U, Chelsea and that. But £17.5M+ still seems high to me for someone with his (lack of) experience.

If England International and European cup winner Peter Crouch is going for £6M cheaper the market is fucked up.

where's he going?

Dunno, but he's transfer listed.

If England International and European cup winner finalist Peter Crouch is going for £6M cheaper the market is fucked up.

The difference to my mind is that Crouch won't improve much more, but Gomis at 22/23 is still developing and seems to have all the raw materials (more than Crouch) to be a top echelon player. He reminds me a little of Ian Wright. We did get a fair whack for Chopra ( a reserve player).

In this context is why I always say that Martins should have a 20m price tag.

If England International and European cup winner finalist Peter Crouch is going for £6M cheaper the market is fucked up.

The difference to my mind is that Crouch won't improve much more, but Gomis at 22/23 is still developing and seems to have all the raw materials (more than Crouch) to be a top echelon player. He reminds me a little of Ian Wright. We did get a fair whack for Chopra ( a reserve player).

I'll bow to your knowledge of the bloke, I've only seen the 4 or 5 goals replayed 15 times each in this thread though.

He could go the other (luque) way. You've got to take risks, but I'd say you should minimise it by paying less for potential than is currently available for proven quality. I'd be perfectly happy with top 4 cast offs for the next couple of years.

I'll bow to your knowledge of the bloke, I've only seen the 4 or 5 goals replayed 15 times each in this thread though.

He could go the other (luque) way. You've got to take risks, but I'd say you should minimise it by paying less for potential than is currently available for proven quality. I'd be perfectly happy with top 4 cast offs for the next couple of years.

Ben Afra and Benzema are really special but it seems they are already spoken for or the prices are astronomical. Look at Adebayor for instance he looked utter poop in those first few games he played for Arsenal, but he's come on leaps and bounds this year as well as looking bigger and faster.

Of course I agree with you in the sense that if Anelka was offered for say £12m I'd rather take that deal. If you're asking if Gomis is worth 17.5 I'd say no. But with these kinds of players you might pay 5m over the odds, but you might get 10m+ back 5 years later.

I'm a bit more relaxed this year knowing that we have a team now running the rule over our targets.

It must be Vetere that rates as I'm sure KK had never heard of him.

My concern is that you should always try to bleed potential into a well gelled team that's playing with some form, when you put the weight of £17M of expectation onto a young lad (or lads) and expect him to lift a team that's battled relegation it's really unfair.

I suppose it's the question of whether or not the clubs policy of buying youth and potential is right for us at the moment. Arsenal could do it from a high position looking down where youngsters are inspired and educated by the proven quality around them. Hoping a few under 21 internationals can inspire other more experienced internationals has it bass ackwards for me.

Edited by Happy Face

My concern is that you should always try to bleed potential into a well gelled team that's playing with some form, when you put the weight of £17M of expectation onto a young lad (or lads) and expect him to lift a team that's battled relegation it's really unfair.

I suppose it's the question of whether or not the clubs policy of buying youth and potential is right for us at the moment. Arsenal could do it from a high position looking down where youngsters are inspired and educated by the proven quality around them. Hoping a few under 21 internationals can inspire other more experienced internationals has it bass ackwards for me.

Fair points.

Also we really need to keep some cash back for a couple of good midfielders. :D

Just watching The Forbidden Kingdom btw. Good laugh so far. :icon_lol:

Edited by Park Life

The other lad they were supposedly watching at the St Etienne vs P.S.G match was Amara Diané

he's just scored for psg and all

(He apparently came out and said he'd love to play for us as well)

his ratio isn't great either...

he's a midfielder though

The other lad they were supposedly watching at the St Etienne vs P.S.G match was Amara Diané

he's just scored for psg and all

(He apparently came out and said he'd love to play for us as well)

his ratio isn't great either...

he's a midfielder though

Naw he's a striker/foward, think he's one of the support types who play off a frontman or something

not a proper attacking midfielder and not an out and out striker if ya know what i mean

He was being called a box to box midfielder in the reports linking him to us

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Patrokles

Watching the French national team only serves as a reminder that we colonized entirely the wrong parts of the world in terms of future football success.