Keegan & Co head for France as Newcastle look to bring in striker Gomis

Jimbo

A three-man delegation from Newcastle United watched St Etienne's highly-rated striker Bafetimbi Gomis in action on Saturday night.

Manager Kevin Keegan, along with assistant Terry McDermott and director of football Dennis Wise were flown into Paris in order to give the forward the once-over during PSG's relegation struggle against their UEFA Cup-chasing visitors.

Gomis is one of the hottest properties in European football and St Etienne are believed to have put a price of around 22m Euros on his head.

The trio were believed to have been whisked into Paris on owner Mike Ashley's private jet as the Toon begin to beef up their plans for next season's assault on the Barclays Premier League.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so that price tag is about £17.5 mil, kinda hurls the only 20m so spend this summer theory out of the window

heard a lot about his lad in relation to us, not sen him play but really highly rated by a lot of people, kind of typical african striker, big power and pace

from wiki "Sunderland were also interested however as soon as Gomis got wind of this he was quoted as saying "i would rather retire than go to that dump""

bit of creative editing going on there methinks but still :icon_lol:

How much for an uncapped 23 year old who scores one in four in a poor league?

:icon_lol:

he's 22, and has been called up a few times for france but not played

he is competing against some pretty fucking good players there though

his goal record is actually closer to 1 in 3 and drogba wasn't getting that at his age

his goal record is actually closer to 1 in 3 and drogba wasn't getting that at his age

This.

He'll be 23 by the time the new season starts.

:D

This.

:blush:

he's 22 now, both points are valid, doesn't actually make much difference

Edited by Andrew

Guest alex
Don't think I've ever seen him play in all honesty.

The new Drogba? Sign him!

Just the 3 goals? Got nowt on Luque.

:D

Oh noes cancel the deal!!! :icon_lol:

:blush:

Oh noes cancel the deal!!! :D

It's anyones guess how old these Senagalese players are tbh.

Few more goals...

The 14 super slo-mo replays are a bit excessive.

Edited by Happy Face

Guest alex

I do find it quite funny though that people point to Drogba's poor scoring record as a youngster so often as though it automatically suggests a young player with a similar record will replicate the rest of Drogba's career.

so that price tag is about £17.5 mil, kinda hurls the only 20m so spend this summer theory out of the window

heard a lot about his lad in relation to us, not sen him play but really highly rated by a lot of people, kind of typical african striker, big power and pace

from wiki "Sunderland were also interested however as soon as Gomis got wind of this he was quoted as saying "i would rather retire than go to that dump""

bit of creative editing going on there methinks but still :D

I think the fact we tried to sign Modric for about 16million had all ready thrown the 20m to spend this summer theory out the window. :icon_lol:

I do find it quite funny though that people point to Drogba's poor scoring record as a youngster so often as though it automatically suggests a young player with a similar record will replicate the rest of Drogba's career.

that's not quite what I meant when I pointed it out

I meant more that you shoudln't discount someone with the right attributes because they aren't prolific when they're young and I picked drogba in particular because they played in the same league and have simialr styles as well as being compared to one another

torres too btw, he was never known as being that much a goalscorer in spain but at liverpool he's been brilliant(obviously)

Edited by Andrew

He looks better than Droga tbh. :icon_lol::D

Guest alex

He looks better than Droga tbh. :D:blush:

Watch a lot of St. Etienne matches do we? Allez Les Verts anyway :icon_lol:

I meant more that you shoudln't discount someone with the right attributes because they aren't prolific when they're young and I picked drogba in particular because they played in the same league and have simialr styles as well as being compared to one another

torres too btw, he was never known as being that much a goalscorer in spain but at liverpool he's been brilliant(obviously)

Drogba did it in Europe too like. Didn't his performances for Marseille against the likes of us effectively have everyone chasing him?

I don't recall this guy dragging St Ettiene to any trophy's.

Benefit of the doubt like, he looks strong with a hell of a shot on him in some of them videos, so I wouldn't mind him coming. I'll not get too excited just yet though.

Edited by Happy Face

Guest alex

Sorry Andrew, that looked like a direct dig at you but it wasn't meant to be. I've just seen people use that Drogba argument a lot, mainly on N-O tbf.

Drogba did it in Europe too like. Didn't his performances for Marseille against the likes of us effectively have everyone chasing him?

I don't recall this guy dragging St Ettiene to any trophy's.

Benefit of the doubt like, he looks strong with a hell of a shot on him in some of them videos, so I wouldn't mind him coming. I'll not get too excited just yet though.

Yeh, after the modric thing I'm going to prevent myself getting excited until things are a done deal

's alright alex, don't lose any sleep over it :icon_lol:

Edited by Andrew