Owen loving life under KK

smoggeordie

NEWCASTLE United skipper Michael Owen has hailed the "massive" impact of gaffer Kevin Keegan and believes that the Geordie Messiah has been a "fantastic" appointment for the Magpies.

One of KK's first tasks upon his return to the club in January was to hand his former England striker the black and white armband, a decision which certainly reaped its reward as Owen fired nine goals from just 16 league games.

Indeed, it was another of Keegan's key decisions involving his captain which also sparked United's stunning upturn in fortunes and all but buried any threat of demotion to the second tier of English football.

For, with Newcastle without a league win in more than three months, the Toon boss shelved the conventional 4-4-2 approach in favour of a more attacking 4-3-3 system with Owen deployed as a deep-lying striker.

What followed was a run of seven games without defeat and a return of 15 points as teams struggled to live with the Magpies' very own brand of stylish, free-flowing football.

So, when asked by Newcastle World TV this week about the impact of the man the Geordies call King Kev, it was little surprise Owen could not wait to wax lyrical about his gaffer.

"He's had a massive impact," enthused the Toon No.10.

"It was never going to happen straight away, not only did we have some tough games, but a lot of the lads were low on confidence.

"When you lose a manager the only reason you lose them is because results have not been good.

"The confidence wasn't high, but if you ever could ask for a man to pick players up and get the best out of them then it's Kevin Keegan, and I think there's more improvement to come in that respect.

"We all enjoy training and playing alongside each other and he has brought a real feel-good factor into the club.

"Everyone is enjoying coming in to training every day and when you do that you do it better.

"He knows his stuff and he can see a player, he can see if something needs tweaking or changing and tactically he's very good.

"It's been a fantastic appointment for us and we've all really enjoyed his time so far."

It's the year after that we should be worried about.

Precisely... despite all the press carry on, I doubt anyone will be approaching him this summer when they can get him on a pre-contract for nowt in January...

We need to get our fingers out though - if he goes, then we're not showing the ambition the club keeps saying it has...

This is a Newcastle World interview? What do people actually expect him to say????!!!!1111

NW: How's KK, Mickhael ?

MO: Aww he's shite man. Everything's just a joke man. Wanker. I, and all the other players hate him.

This is a Newcastle World interview? What do people actually expect him to say????!!!!1111

MO: Aww he's shite man. Everything's just a joke man. Wanker. I, and all the other players hate him.

He didn't have to say owt. The last 2 years he's said fuck all in the close season and took a lot of stick for doing so as people (me included) saw that as inviting speculation.

Fair do's to him for saying he sees a future for himself here.

Edited by Happy Face

He didn't have to say owt. The last 2 years he's said fuck all in the close season and took a lot of stick for doing so as people (me included) saw that as inviting speculation.

Apologies. I missed the bit where he says he sees a future for himself here. :icon_lol:

Apologies. I missed the bit where he says he sees a future for himself here. :icon_lol:

Michael Owen has given a strong indication that he plans to stay at Newcastle after revealing he cannot wait for the start of next season.

The England star's future has been the subject of conjecture for some time with the striker having just over a year to run on his current contract.

Newcastle are keen to hold talks with Owen about a contract extension as they look to tie him down to a long-term deal.

The former Liverpool man has boosted Newcastle's hopes of getting him to sign a new deal by saying he is excited about next season.

Exciting times

"In a way we want this season to continue because we're on a great run," Owen told the club's official website.

"But if we can take these performances and the confidence we've got about us and add one or two top players then it's going to be exciting times.

"It's the oldest cliché in the book, but we really are all in it together. It's nice to play some good football, to get some confidence and it's nice to get the fans' backing.

"And it's nice to climb up the table. I couldn't have imagined saying a few weeks or months ago there really is a buzz and anticipation for next season."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3469367,00.html

:D

Edited by Happy Face

Apologies. I missed the bit where he says he sees a future for himself here. :blush:

Michael Owen has given a strong indication that he plans to stay at Newcastle after revealing he cannot wait for the start of next season.

The England star's future has been the subject of conjecture for some time with the striker having just over a year to run on his current contract.

Newcastle are keen to hold talks with Owen about a contract extension as they look to tie him down to a long-term deal.

The former Liverpool man has boosted Newcastle's hopes of getting him to sign a new deal by saying he is excited about next season.

Exciting times

"In a way we want this season to continue because we're on a great run," Owen told the club's official website.

"But if we can take these performances and the confidence we've got about us and add one or two top players then it's going to be exciting times.

"It's the oldest cliché in the book, but we really are all in it together. It's nice to play some good football, to get some confidence and it's nice to get the fans' backing.

"And it's nice to climb up the table. I couldn't have imagined saying a few weeks or months ago there really is a buzz and anticipation for next season."

:)

So he's defo off then. :icon_lol::D

Apologies. I missed the bit where he says he sees a future for himself here. :)

Exciting times

:D

So he's defo off then. :D:blush:

Snakehips. :icon_lol:

It's the year after that we should be worried about.

Precisely... despite all the press carry on, I doubt anyone will be approaching him this summer when they can get him on a pre-contract for nowt in January...

We need to get our fingers out though - if he goes, then we're not showing the ambition the club keeps saying it has...

WUM