KK issues hands off warning on Martins

Jusoda Kid

Seems to me Anal has a beef with Fat Sam, first Elano or Smith and now he was willing to sell Oba.

Keegan issues hands-off warning on Martins

May 14 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Oba Martins

KEVIN KEEGAN has issued a firm warning to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger over Obafemi Martins.

Wenger has been a big admirer of Martins since the Nigerian striker first burst on to the scene as a teenager with Inter Milan and all the talk in London is that he is ready to slap in a £15m bid to Newcastle United.

But, with a squad that is already paper-thin, instructions from his bosses to reduce the wage bill and uncertainty as to how much he has to spend in the close season, Keegan has made it clear that he wants to keep all his top men.

When I asked Keegan if he had received a bid for Martins he told me: “I haven’t, no, but I want to keep all my players and add to them if I can.

“Anyone that goes will be a bit of a blow, especially if something like that happens late on in the summer.

“However, Arsenal have definitely not approached me.”

Glenn Roeder paid £10m for Martins in the summer of 2006, but United managed to do a deal with Inter Milan that saw the transfer fee spread over five seasons. As a result they still owe £6m for him.

Roeder’s successor Sam Allardyce contacted Martins’ agent at the end of last July and told him United were prepared to unload the Nigerian international, but there were no takers at the time.

Martins was aware of this and, after at first playing second fiddle to Michael Owen, it is to his credit that he kept his head down and chipped in with 10 goals this season.

He still has three years left on his contract and, while there was talk that the clause that allowed him to leave if anyone bid £13m was going to be renegotiated, there has been no word from United that it actually was.

And, to their credit, United’s top brass of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez have been scouring Europe in case they lose Martins or Owen.

The Chronicle revealed on March 8 that the United pair had been in France having a look at St Etienne striker Bafetimbi Gomis in the goalless draw with Nice – a player dubbed the new Didier Drogba.

United were back on Saturday night, this time with Kevin Keegan and Terry McDermott, to have another look at the French Under-21 international, who is of Senegalese descent.

But, as in the case of the game with Nice, Gomis did not have one of his better nights and his comments that he would prefer Italy to the Premier League are not encouraging for the United hierarchy.

If we are to succeed in a team going forward, then Martins NEEDS to be apart of our plans. His dominating pace will be a key to us when he's constantly fit. He has a rocket of a shot and pulls them out from nowhere. Even half a chance and he'll take it. If we are to be a "European contender" club, then Martins needs to be in them plans.

Guest Patrokles
If we are to succeed in a team going forward, then Martins NEEDS to be apart of our plans. His dominating pace will be a key to us when he's constantly fit. He has a rocket of a shot and pulls them out from nowhere. Even half a chance and he'll take it. If we are to be a "European contender" club, then Martins needs to be in them plans.

Not entirely sure about that. It'd be nice to keep him, but he's wildly inconsistent.

Not entirely sure about that. It'd be nice to keep him, but he's wildly inconsistent.

Like your stories

Guest Patrokles

Like your stories

That doesn't work. Nice one.

Martins is a great player to have available, but we can't rely on him to be a consistent first-team performer, so we have to make sure we have other options if we need them.

He wouldn't be a huge loss, but he's one of the few players we have that wouldn't stand out at a top club.

Guest alex
Martins is a great player to have available, but we can't rely on him to be a consistent first-team performer, so we have to make sure we have other options if we need them.

He wouldn't be a huge loss, but he's one of the few players we have that wouldn't stand out at a top club.

Do you mean wouldn't look out of place? Either way, I'm not sure I agree.

Maybe Owen aside.................but what other players do you have that would stand out at a top club?

I don`t think Martins would.

Maybe Owen aside.................but what other players do you have that would stand out at a top club?

I could imagine Martins doing well in a good side tbf, I remember when he was leaving Inter to join here, they all thought he was great and were gutted he was leaving.

I could imagine Martins doing well in a good side tbf, I remember when he was leaving Inter to join here, they all thought he was great and were gutted he was leaving.

Perhaps, I think he all potential but is a tad inconsistent. How many goals this season?

Guest alex

Perhaps, I think he all potential but is a tad inconsistent. How many goals this season?

He's very inconsistent. He did miss a fair whack of the season at the ACN and was played out wide a lot by Allardyce in his defence though.

More league goals that Dirk Kuyt anyway. :cuppa:

Naughty. Someone less nice than myself might also have mentioned that Chelsea are poised to offer a mega-bucks deal to get Torres!

Naughty. Someone less nice than myself might also have mentioned that Chelsea are poised to offer a mega-bucks deal to get Torres!

and that, because of the liverpool boards own idiocy, they may not have a choice whether to accept or not

and that, because of the liverpool boards own idiocy, they may not have a choice whether to accept or not

Oh do tell. :victory:

Oh do tell. :victory:

well, as far as I know at least, they got a loan to actually buy him which due to the ownership power stuggles isn't being paid