Toon winning Turan race

Guest Patrokles

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWCASTLE United are trying to move quickly in their efforts to land Galatasaray’s highly-rated midfielder Arda Turan and hope to tie up an £8m deal before the start of the European Championships next month.

Arda, 21, an attacking midfielder who can play wide on the left or in a more central role behind the strikers, is one of the hottest young talents in European football and will be a key figure in Turkey’s Euro 2008 campaign.

United manager Kevin Keegan is on the look-out for a creative midfielder with pace and, having missed out on Luka Modric when the Croatian playmaker decided to join Tottenham Hotspur last month because of their presence in next season’s Uefa Cup, Arda is seen as an ideal alternative. Both Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez have been to watch him play this year and Keegan has also given the green light to a deal following discussions last week.

Arda has been tracked by a host of European clubs, including Barcelona, Fiorentina, Villarreal and AC Milan, while Middlesbrough have also been linked with making a bid.

With so much interest, Galatasaray officials are keen to wait until after the

European Championships to sell their star player, who has won 16 senior caps and scored 14 goals in 72 Turkish top-flight appearances, in the hope that an impressive tournament will start a bidding war and push his price up.

However, the matter could be further complicated by Galatasaray’s long-standing desire to take Emre back to the club where he began his career and they could be persuaded to do business now if the former Inter Milan player goes in the opposite direction.

Keegan has repeatedly insisted he does not want to lose Emre and Newcastle hope that his presence on Tyneside will actually help persuade Arda to move to St James’s Park.

Galatasaray have been linked with a move for their former player every summer since he came to England, but no bid has ever materialised and, although Emre’s season was wrecked by a persistent calf problem, he is understood to be happy at Newcastle and with Keegan as his manager.

“I keep saying that he’s not unsettled,” said Keegan. “A lot of people say he has been, but I don’t see an unsettled player here. I see a player who is obviously very keen to play in the Euro 2008, which he will for Turkey. It will be good for Emre to get games.”

Galatasaray hope to raise at least £11m from Arda’s sale, but Newcastle have not agreed to that amount at this stage. That, though, could change if there is a chance they can complete the move before the end of the month.

The Turkish club have debts estimated at around £45m and know cashing in on their best young player is the best way to reduce that figure.

Should he become Keegan’s first signing of the summer in the next few days, Damien Duff is likely to have played his last game for the club.

The Republic of Ireland international insisted last week he is happy at Newcastle and keen to make up for two injury-ravaged seasons, but he is not part of Keegan’s first team plans and has attracted the interest of Portsmouth and former club Blackburn Rovers.

Meanwhile, former Newcastle right-back Stephen Carr is on the verge of moving to the Midlands with Birmingham City and Aston Villa both interested in signing him following his release by United last week.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...1314923,00.html

It is also claimed that the 16-times capped star has been tracked by a host of top clubs, including Barcelona, Fiorentina, Villarreal and AC Milan, while Middlesbrough have also been linked with making a bid.

:calmdown:

Well hopefully we can beat Boro to a signing anyway. :lol:

He's not good enough yet for Barca, they've got wonderkids coming out the arse.

Yet from todays Ronny

Yet again United are being linked with all sorts of players, the latest being Galatasaray’s midfielder Arda Turan.

But the Keegan camp insist they have no interest in the Turkish international.

In full

I've never heard of this guy, is he really worth £10m?

I must admit I'm a little underwhelmed at present, we've had no real statement of intent from the board and that hasn't been helped by the press stirring the shit. Since Kev returned I'd been on a high but I'm starting to wonder whether that was the plan by Ashley to calm the fans down while he didn't spend any money. It's alright saying we were after Woodgate in January or we were after Modric just recently but it's got us no where other than being poor relations to a half-baked bunch of turds like the Spuds - yes they have European footy but christ it doesn't half bite being second choice to a team like them.

I'd like to think that Ashley is aware that you need to spend money to win things and make money but the impression I'm getting right now is that we're just not in it. I know, I know it's only two weeks in to the silly season and there's a major international tournament between now and the beginning of next season but wouldn't it be nice to be getting some decent players in where possible before (1) the prices go through the roof and (2) other teams don't swamp the market for the bargains.

Something else, while it wouldn't bother me to see Smith or Duff leave us I'm a bit concerned that our squad is soooo thin. Losing any of the players would add to that problem, so unless we're bringing in quite a few new players for the main positions and for cover I don't see the logic in it. We need some squad players, we need some first team players and in particular we need a midfield playmaker.

I guess I'm just a bit anxious that the board aren't keeping the momentum going while the feelings are good.

I must admit I'm a little underwhelmed at present, we've had no real statement of intent from the board and that hasn't been helped by the press stirring the shit. Since Kev returned I'd been on a high but I'm starting to wonder whether that was the plan by Ashley to calm the fans down while he didn't spend any money. It's alright saying we were after Woodgate in January or we were after Modric just recently but it's got us no where other than being poor relations to a half-baked bunch of turds like the Spuds - yes they have European footy but christ it doesn't half bite being second choice to a team like them.

I'd like to think that Ashley is aware that you need to spend money to win things and make money but the impression I'm getting right now is that we're just not in it. I know, I know it's only two weeks in to the silly season and there's a major international tournament between now and the beginning of next season but wouldn't it be nice to be getting some decent players in where possible before (1) the prices go through the roof and (2) other teams don't swamp the market for the bargains.

Something else, while it wouldn't bother me to see Smith or Duff leave us I'm a bit concerned that our squad is soooo thin. Losing any of the players would add to that problem, so unless we're bringing in quite a few new players for the main positions and for cover I don't see the logic in it. We need some squad players, we need some first team players and in particular we need a midfield playmaker.

I guess I'm just a bit anxious that the board aren't keeping the momentum going while the feelings are good.

I'm sure we're trying to sign players, it's just that it isn't as easy as it used to be. :)

I think that probably are reading far too much into the situation. The season has just finished. Transfer dealings are just starting at the moment and we already were (unsuccessfully) involved in one attempt to sign on of the biggest prospects of football in Modric.

I think it is a case of wait and see what is about to happen during the summer. If there has been no action until August then is the time to start to worry, but definitely not now.

I also don't see any need of making a public statement of intention. The best statement of intention will be when we are finally successful in signing a good player. But I don't think a statement saying that there is the amount of xy million pound available necessary. It probably would only be counterproductive as then clubs from Europe know they can try to hold us to ransom. All that matters is that Keegan etc. know that enough money is available, which I think does now since the meeting in London the other week.

I think that probably are reading far too much into the situation. The season has just finished. Transfer dealings are just starting at the moment and we already were (unsuccessfully) involved in one attempt to sign on of the biggest prospects of football in Modric.

I think it is a case of wait and see what is about to happen during the summer. If there has been no action until August then is the time to start to worry, but definitely not now.

I also don't see any need of making a public statement of intention. The best statement of intention will be when we are finally successful in signing a good player. But I don't think a statement saying that there is the amount of xy million pound available necessary. It probably would only be counterproductive as then clubs from Europe know they can try to hold us to ransom. All that matters is that Keegan etc. know that enough money is available, which I think does now since the meeting in London the other week.

Aye, you're probably right, I must admit I'd be the first to moan if the club came out with figures on how much we have to spend as it'd end up with us being held to ransom like you said. Just a bit nervous I guess, seems strange not having the media circus reporting on every rumour going where we're involved :)

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...1314923,00.html

It is also claimed that the 16-times capped star has been tracked by a host of top clubs, including Barcelona, Fiorentina, Villarreal and AC Milan, while Middlesbrough have also been linked with making a bid.

:)

Why the fuck do we insist on reporting stuff like this on the official website? Talk about counting our chickens.... :)

Guest Patrokles

Interview with the Gala president apparently says that if Turan wanted to go, they'd let him, but that no offers have been made, and the English newspapers are doing their usual constant baseless speculation.

GALATASARAY president Adnan Polat has told Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan he can sign Arda Turan tomorrow if he tables a formal bid of around £13m.

Polat has held a number of preliminary discussions with senior Newcastle representatives as he attempts to tackle his club's debts of more than £45m.

The Turkish chief has admitted he is unable to hold on to Turan, a creative left-footed midfielder who is one of Galatasaray's leading lights.

advertisement

The 21-year-old is almost certain to leave Istanbul this summer, and Newcastle are hoping to complete a deal before Polat joins up with the Turkey squad ahead of this summer's European Championships.

However, the Magpies are yet to table a formal bid and Galatasaray officials are growing increasingly frustrated with their reluctance to raise their valuation of around £8.5m.

That still leaves them £4.5m short of Galatasaray's asking price, and Polat is adamant if Newcastle want to beat off competition from a number of leading German clubs, they will have to table an increased offer.

"We have not received an official offer," said Polat.

"But if Newcastle were to make an offer like this (16m Euros), I would let Arda go."

Newcastle's pursuit of Turan gathered momentum over the weekend, but Keegan's hopes of signing another of the club's leading transfer targets, Manchester City centre-half Richard Dunne, look like being scuppered by his own board's insistence that he pursues younger players.

And with the Magpies' interest in Dunne beginning to wane, Sunderland are ready to step in for the highly-rated defender.

Keegan identified Dunne as a possible summer signing but the Magpies manager also knows that Dunne's age falls outside of the bracket currently being explored by executive director (football) Dennis Wise and vicepresident (player recruitment) Tony Jimenez.

Wise and Jimenez, who appear to have de facto control of Newcastle's recruitment policy, are committed to signing younger players with a higher sellon value, and were represented at Stuttgart's 2-2 draw with Armenia Bielefeld this weekend in order to monitor 22-yearold striker Mario Gomez.

While Dunne is hardly a veteran, he will be 29 in September and the Magpies hierarchy are understood to be reluctant to hand long-term contracts to players of that age.

Keegan will attempt to push Dunne's cause but it seems unlikely that the former Everton trainee will be moving to St James' Park in the current transfer window.

He is equally unlikely to still be a Manchester City player come September, and Sunderland have emerged as surprise suitors as they look to bolster a defence that conceded 59 goals.

Guest Patrokles

If 13 million is true, and we were willing to offer 16 million or so for Modric, let's get this tied up quickly, please.

If 13 million is true, and we were willing to offer 16 million or so for Modric, let's get this tied up quickly, please.

That's not exactly how it works, you can't offer £13m for this guy simply because we offered £16m for Modric, obviously the club will value each player differently.

Guest Patrokles

That's not exactly how it works, you can't offer £13m for this guy simply because we offered £16m for Modric, obviously the club will value each player differently.

No shit, sherlock. :) Worth noting that 13 and 16 are different numbers, too.

The point is that he appears to be who we've targeted after losing out on Modric, and seems to have similar quality, is even younger, etc. Therefore, what with the two being much of a muchness, and having already proven the money is there, it's not unreasonable to pay a similar amount.

(now who's being patronising, btw? Hypocrite.)

Edited by Patrokles