system 32 that the fook!!

paddy

posting this from my laptop as the desktop is goosed!! i turn it on and it brings the windows start in safe mode option, now whichever option i take it scrolls through some crap about system32 then the windows flag comes on like its about to go to the password screen then it just restarts again and back to square 1

cheers

:calmdown:

Your system32 has become corrupt somehow, qucikest and easiest is reinstall windows marra

Dont just turn it off at the power next time :calmdown:

Edited by wykikitoon

oh sooper dooper, i cannot find my hooky xp disk!! is it worth putting another system on?

Your system32 has become corrupt somehow, qucikest and easiest is reinstall windows marra

Dont just turn it off at the power next time :lol:

Really? :calmdown:

You need to run a scandisk on your hard drive Paddy, which will fix it in a matter of minutes. Only problem is you can't get to a prompt to do so. What you need to do is use the Windows XP Recovery Console. To do this:

Got hold of any XP SP2 disk (borrow one if needs be), stick it in the your CD drive and get your computer to boot to it (your boot order should be CDROM first anyway, if not change it in the BIOS). You will see the following message:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

At the prompt type chkdsk /p and press Return. This does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.

Type Exit and press return and then reboot your PC. Fingers crossed it should boot through perfectly.

If for any reason it doesn't work, repeat the same process as above but instead type chkdsk /r at the prompt which locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

If this fails, THEN go for Wykikitoon's theory. Either way you need an XP disk.

Hope this helps.

I reckon I'll be here sooner or later. The screen just went black the other day and the message said something about the video card trying to recover. It then turned ITSELF on and off and started working again. Its asked if I wanted a normal windows startup etc...Which being lazy I always say yes to.

If I was you Parky I'd pull up a Command Prompt and do a chkdsk /p anyway and pre-empt any failures...

Can't do any harm tbh.

that your fave command atm Craig :lol:

No, I just know my job... ;)

Yes, mine is the quickest and easiest :icon_lol:

Get to fuck... :calmdown:

Does the repair utility ever really work for anything major?

I've tried it a couple of times when people have brought dying systems to me, but it's never really worked, or has only worked for long enough to easily get important files off and such (although a Linux livecd is usually easier). Having said that it might be more down to the state they were in in the first place.

I've tried it a couple of times when people have brought dying systems to me, but it's never really worked, or has only worked for long enough to easily get important files off and such (although a Linux livecd is usually easier). Having said that it might be more down to the state they were in in the first place.

See post 2 :calmdown:

Worked every time I've tried it and use it regularly at work. Like I said, it should be the first thing that's tried - if it doesn't work, THEN rebuild.

that your fave command atm Craig :lol:

No, I just know my job... ;)

Yes, mine is the quickest and easiest :icon_lol:

Get to fuck... :calmdown:

Buy a new laptop. Quicker and easier.

In fact, let's stop trying to fix problems altogether :woosh:

Worked every time I've tried it and use it regularly at work. Like I said, it should be the first thing that's tried - if it doesn't work, THEN rebuild.

Aye

It also helps if n00bs dont just turn their PC's off at the power rather than letting them shut down correctly :calmdown:

In fact, let's stop trying to fix problems altogether :crylaughin:

You don't work for Microsoft by any chance do you? I believe that's their new idea, roll out a new OS that has to be bought rather than patch or fix anything.

They are calling it Windows WTFDWTOTB or maybe just Win$$$'s :icon_lol:

• 2 weeks later...
oh sooper dooper, i cannot find my hooky xp disk!! is it worth putting another system on?

I'd seriously give PCLinuxOSa try it's very windows-like and the updating process is very simple, and it almost entirely uses GUI's for everything (like windows), as long are you're PC-savvy enough to burn an ISO and install XP from scratch is easy enough to install.