Mort To Go?

Tooj

Chris Mort's future at Newcastle United is in doubt.

The Daily Mail says Newcastle will be hit by more boardroom upheaval during the summer with the expected resignation of chairman Mort.

He has alerted owner Mike Ashley that he wants to return full-time to his former employees, top London law firm Freshfields.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it quite clear from the beginning that Mort was the man to oversee the changes after the takeover and would later go back to his old position?

I don't know when this will be, but seeing this coming from the Daily Lie then Mort will probably be here for another while...

Also, Freshfields are Morts employees? :)

I was under the impression that Mort's appointment was only temporary anyway, The Daily Mail however, will of course use any opportunity to write a headline about 'Boardroom War' or 'Mort Storms Out!'. Fucking shitbags.

This is the tabloids man, they have short memories and love rewriting history. He was always just here to oversee the takeover and to steady the ship. Daily Mail in shit stirring shocker.

Guest alex
The Daily Mail man. It may be true but have they gotten anything right since Ashley bought the club?

This one is true.

Again it might be but I love the way you allude to having some sort of inside info when I can't think of one reliable piece of ITK info you've actually supplied :) Anyway, as others have pointed out, he was never meant to be long-term, yet you know the spin put on it will be 'boardroom strife' etc.

The Daily Mail man. It may be true but have they gotten anything right since Ashley bought the club?

This one is true.

Again it might be but I love the way you allude to having some sort of inside info when I can't think of one reliable piece of ITK info you've actually supplied :) Anyway, as others have pointed out, he was never meant to be long-term, yet you know the spin put on it will be 'boardroom strife' etc.

Ask Chez or forward the pm I sent him (on N.O.) on the 11th of May reg Mort. Will that do?

Whey man even if it is true, it's not a major matter. Chris Mort is a Lawyer by profession. If he wants to go back to doing that full time that's fair enough. Can't see the day to day running of the club being in any great danger. Mort isn't up here all week anyway, there's a whole team of them.

Guest alex

This one is true.

Ask Chez or forward the pm I sent him (on N.O.) on the 11th of May reg Mort. Will that do?

Keeping me out the loop are we? Card marked.

This one is true.

Keeping me out the loop are we? Card marked.

You're normally ahead of me though. :)

Chris Mort seems to be doing a decent job and I'd like him to stay, if there is anything behind this story at all...

He's been under immense pressure, but ultimately he's a lawyer and wants to get back to that. I'd rather he stayed on one more year.

As much as this story is probably bollocks, I always had the gut feeling that Mort wouldn't be round for the long haul, he's over seen the main transitions of the takeover which was probably his remit from the very beginning.

Chris Mort seems to be doing a decent job and I'd like him to stay, if there is anything behind this story at all...

I feel the complete opposite. I reckon the job requires an inside knowledge of how the football world works tbh. I had hoped that the initial rumours of David Dein coming on board were true - however, they proved not.

Guest alex

I feel the complete opposite. I reckon the job requires an inside knowledge of how the football world works tbh. I had hoped that the initial rumours of David Dein coming on board were true - however, they proved not.

I agree there. By his own admission he knows very little about the game and even less about being a club chairman.

The guy was brought in to oversee the transition from old board to new one, he's done his job, been paid, "thankyou very much fat fella, I'm off back to my old job"

we knew it was going to happen and he's standing aside now the season is over.......its a nothing story

I agree there. By his own admission he knows very little about the game and even less about being a club chairman.

What knowledge of the game is actually required for a chairman?

I think a knowledge of the industry would obviously be an advantage but it's not that much different from any other sporting club. One area in which a 'football' person would be a bonus is regarding contacts in the game, however, with Wise, Jiminez and the other fella on the board I don't think that that is as much of an issue with us.

Edited by ewerk

Guest alex

I would say it can't do any harm, can it? It's a bit different to any other type of company.

I think a knowledge of the industry would obviously be an advantage but it's not that much different from any other sporting club. One area in which a 'football' person would be a bonus is regarding contacts in the game, however, with Wise, Jiminez and the other fella on the board I don't think that that is as much of an issue with us.

The lass on reception reckons Freddy Shepherd has been in asking for an application form.

[/iTK]