Ipswich close in on Ameobi deal

Jimbo

My boss just came running in to the office declaring that Leeds are looking to take Ameobi on loan with the view to a permanent deal, it's big news for him as he's a Leeds fan :jesuswept:

Did he then jump out of the window?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boss just came running in to the office declaring that Leeds are looking to take Ameobi on loan with the view to a permanent deal, it's big news for him as he's a Leeds fan :jesuswept:

He's reluctant to move to a Championship side so I doubt the thought of League 1 football excites him too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Shola Ameobi angling for Newcastle exit

George Caulkin

Shola Ameobi has pleaded with Newcastle United not to price him out of a move away from St James' Park. Since turning down the opportunity this summer to join Stoke City, where he spent three months on loan last season, the 26-year-old striker has been linked with West Bromwich Albion, Norwich City and Ipswich Town.

Having agreed a deal in principle with Stoke, worth £3.5million, Newcastle are unwilling to lower their valuation. Such has been the club's traumatic injury situation, Kevin Keegan, the manager, has fielded Ameobi in pre-season fixtures against Hartlepool United, Doncaster Rovers and Hertha Berlin before he suffered a strained hamstring, but the former England Under-21 player is said to have no long-term future on Tyneside. Fitness permitting, Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Alan Smith and Andy Carroll are ahead of Ameobi in the pecking order, so the forward is seeking a fresh challenge. That, however, is reliant on the club lowering their demands.

“I hope it will not be the case that I get priced out of a move,” Ameobi, who returned to full training yesterday, said. “If the club don't want me, they know that I've been a faithful servant, so, in a perfect world, being allowed to leave for a reasonable price would happen. But in football you never know, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and working hard.

“The uncertainty isn't difficult to deal with. We have to be professional. If Newcastle decide they want to keep me, I'm not going to moan about it. I've been patient for a few years and it's been frustrating, but you have to be professional. I'm a footballer, I need to make sure my body's right and that I'm in the right frame of mind.”

As a supporter of the club since childhood, Ameobi has longed to make a lasting impression at Newcastle, but, having started over 95 league games over the past eight years, he recognises the need for more first-team opportunities.

“I've always said that I want to play football,” he said. “Newcastle were my team when I grew up and that's who I want to play for, but football comes first for me.

“If regular football doesn't happen, I'll have to go somewhere else. But I'm still hoping I can get a chance here. It's up to me to try and force my way into the team. I've done that in pre-season and it's been nice to be back in with the first team and with the lads.”

Shola Ameobi angling for Newcastle exit

George Caulkin

Shola Ameobi has pleaded with Newcastle United not to price him out of a move away from St James' Park. Since turning down the opportunity this summer to join Stoke City, where he spent three months on loan last season, the 26-year-old striker has been linked with West Bromwich Albion, Norwich City and Ipswich Town.

Having agreed a deal in principle with Stoke, worth £3.5million, Newcastle are unwilling to lower their valuation. Such has been the club's traumatic injury situation, Kevin Keegan, the manager, has fielded Ameobi in pre-season fixtures against Hartlepool United, Doncaster Rovers and Hertha Berlin before he suffered a strained hamstring, but the former England Under-21 player is said to have no long-term future on Tyneside. Fitness permitting, Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Alan Smith and Andy Carroll are ahead of Ameobi in the pecking order, so the forward is seeking a fresh challenge. That, however, is reliant on the club lowering their demands.

“I hope it will not be the case that I get priced out of a move,” Ameobi, who returned to full training yesterday, said. “If the club don't want me, they know that I've been a faithful servant, so, in a perfect world, being allowed to leave for a reasonable price would happen. But in football you never know, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and working hard.

“The uncertainty isn't difficult to deal with. We have to be professional. If Newcastle decide they want to keep me, I'm not going to moan about it. I've been patient for a few years and it's been frustrating, but you have to be professional. I'm a footballer, I need to make sure my body's right and that I'm in the right frame of mind.”

As a supporter of the club since childhood, Ameobi has longed to make a lasting impression at Newcastle, but, having started over 95 league games over the past eight years, he recognises the need for more first-team opportunities.

“I've always said that I want to play football,” he said. “Newcastle were my team when I grew up and that's who I want to play for, but football comes first for me.

“If regular football doesn't happen, I'll have to go somewhere else. But I'm still hoping I can get a chance here. It's up to me to try and force my way into the team. I've done that in pre-season and it's been nice to be back in with the first team and with the lads.”

Isn't he the bastard who got homesick when he went to Stoke thus ruining the deal?

This wanker never ceases to amaze me.

At best a relegation fodder team in the prem most likely a championship side(more his level) should be his expectation, £3m tho` :icon_lol: I would say £1.5m would be more like his valuation, that said I would prefere him up front instead of Smith, which speaks volumes for Smith really

Although not knowing the full ins & outs of the Stoke deal, if the opportunity came and he turned it around only to face facts 3 months later is pretty low for him. He needs to be peddled to every Championship club for no more than £2m. We had £500k off Stoke for the loan so £2.5m on a player of that calibre is pretty good business for us.

Although not knowing the full ins & outs of the Stoke deal, if the opportunity came and he turned it around only to face facts 3 months later is pretty low for him. He needs to be peddled to every Championship club for no more than £2m. We had £500k off Stoke for the loan so £2.5m on a player of that calibre is pretty good business for us.

If we don't get rid of him in this window we're only going to get a nominal value for him in January so we pay as well take a lowish offer and get him off the wage bill.

http://wwww.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/v...ws.php?id=13213

Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi is close to a move to the Blues having undergone a medical at Town yesterday, according to reports in the North-East.

Poor poor bastards. Not only will they have to put up with his lolloping hamfisted attempts at leading the line, they'll get his appalling patter in the local press too. Starting with how playing regular football will revive his England career....

Imagine his medical

Examiner "right Shola, jog for a bit so I can assess your running style"

Shola jogs

Examiner "now sprint for me"

30 seconds pass

Examiner "sprint please, in your own time"

Shola "I am sprinting"

Examiner "fuck ;) "

Imagine his medical

Examiner "right Shola, jog for a bit so I can assess your running style"

Shola jogs

Examiner "now sprint for me"