Leaving Toon was hard - Ramage

Besty

Peter Ramage has said leaving Newcastle United was one of the most difficult decisions he has ever had to make.

The 24-year-old has agreed a three-year contract with QPR in the hope of getting regular first-team football.

The defender told BBC Radio Newcastle: "It was probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

"I wasn't going to get guaranteed football at Newcastle which was tough to take but in the same breath I understand that."

The defender revealed he did not have to leave the club: "[Kevin Keegan] never took the offer of a contract off the table, he said until I sign somewhere else the offer was there.

"If worst came to worst, I always had Newcastle to fall back on, which I really appreciate."

Ramage played only a few minutes in his last game for the Magpies but he was truly grateful for Keegan's gesture.

"I can't thank him enough, he is a legend up in these parts and all I've ever wanted to do was to play for Kevin Keegan when I was growing up.

"It was a bit emotional on Sunday, leaving and saying goodbye to everyone."

The 24-year-old started his career at Newcastle in 1996 and admits the switch to the capital will be a little daunting.

"The decision to move down there was a difficult one because all I've ever known is the streets of Tyneside.

"It's a big old world down there but it's something I'm looking forward to.

"It's a fresh start, a fresh environment and hopefully I can settle down quite quickly."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Ramage has said leaving Newcastle United was one of the most difficult decisions he has ever had to make.

The 24-year-old has agreed a three-year contract with QPR in the hope of getting regular first-team football.

The defender told BBC Radio Newcastle: "It was probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

"I wasn't going to get guaranteed football at Newcastle which was tough to take but in the same breath I understand that."

The defender revealed he did not have to leave the club: "[Kevin Keegan] never took the offer of a contract off the table, he said until I sign somewhere else the offer was there.

"If worst came to worst, I always had Newcastle to fall back on, which I really appreciate."

Ramage played only a few minutes in his last game for the Magpies but he was truly grateful for Keegan's gesture.

"I can't thank him enough, he is a legend up in these parts and all I've ever wanted to do was to play for Kevin Keegan when I was growing up.

"It was a bit emotional on Sunday, leaving and saying goodbye to everyone."

The 24-year-old started his career at Newcastle in 1996 and admits the switch to the capital will be a little daunting.

"The decision to move down there was a difficult one because all I've ever known is the streets of Tyneside.

"It's a fresh start, a fresh environment and hopefully I can settle down quite quickly."

I got (and will get) stick for saying I like him more than Taylor. But when he got injured he was on just as many appearances and I think he's got a far better attitude if not natural ability.

Good luck to him.

:)

oliver%20dodger%20publicity%20pic.jpg

good luck to him, thought he was called on when we were weak at the back and looked more assured than some of his more experienced colleagues.

still not good enough for us and will do better at a club with lower ambitions.

• 8 years later...

Ramage and Shaun Wright-Phillips have a new teammate.

Drogba has announced he is to become the first owner/player after becoming part owner of US third tier franchise Phoenix Rising. They are one of twelve teams bidding for four new MLS franchises.

We get people try us out for a handful of posts and then don't seem to stick with it. In fairness, I think you need a commitment to the General Chat section to really get into the place (and in there, you're either cracking on with people you've known for years or arguing about politics and current events).

Is it a clique though? I think there's a core group of us who post but I don't think we'd be at all exclusionary of any newcomers. That said, I've noticed that since CT left, MF and even Gemmill are posting less.