Fleet Street anti-Newcastle bile number 1399863

Jimbo

Joey Barton: Big mug with a Big Mac...

By Jasper Gerard

Last Updated: 1:22am BST 22/05/2008

One of the more disturbing aspects of the Joey Barton assault case is that he dines at McDonald's. A footballer could spend more on a watch than adoring fans might on a house, yet still these "athletes" consume food I wouldn't feed my spaniel.

Lee Bowyer was fined for affray at a McDonald's "restaurant" after getting into a fearsome row with a group of chairs. What do they put in those burgers?

advertisementTrue, Barton's Big Mac-fuelled savagery might have been excacerbated by high-energy drinks augmenting his fine dining experience - 10 pints and five bottled lagers - but it's a generation since Ray Wilkins, Ian Rush et al went to Italy and discovered a) the natives "speak foreign" and :) pasta.

While England regulars tend to monitor their diets now, many Premiership "stars" still commit GBH against bone-headed numpties: themselves.

. . .and who pays the jailbird's wages?

Another Barton concern: if Newcastle honour his £60,000 per week contract while he's slopping out, how much will the taxpayer contribute? Northern Rock, bailed out by the Exchequer, is to continue sponsoring his Newcastle team. One might stomach Michael Owen's bill at the bookies, but the effective nationalisation of Barton?

Still, there is a certain symmetry between Northern Rock and Newcastle: both hoped to take on the big four, and both over-extended. And just as the taxpayer might never again see a fair slice of the fortune it "invested" in Northern Rock, so Newcastle's sponsorship windfall has long since blown to the winds. In any other industry Barton would be sacked.

Yet Newcastle, it seems, can't afford the bullet. Still, all this huffing about Barton being unfit to wear the shirt is a bit rich. After all, Newcastle signed Lee Bowyer. Perhaps Toon, in turn, could sponsor a wing at Broadmoor.

so this guy is saying since northern rock sponsor us they pay all of our player wages etc etc

I was under the impression we just got a few mil a year for putting their name on our shirts

I was under the impresson Northern Rock had already paid up in full to help finance the Owen deal?

The money was spent before Ashley bought the club. I don't know on what, though - maybe pies ??

I was under the impresson Northern Rock had already paid up in full to help finance the Owen deal?

The money was spent before Ashley bought the club. I don't know on what, though - maybe pies ??

were still due abit of it in i think, which then go's straight out the door to real madrid for owen .