Gavin Peacock walks from BBC to God

Happy Face

FORMER Newcastle United midfielder Gavin Peacock is heading to Canada to study for a career in the church.

The BBC pundit, who also played for Chelsea, will start his new life at the end of Euro 2008.

After finishing work at the tournament, the 40-year-old will emigrate with his wife and two children to Calgary, to begin a three-year Masters course in Divinity at Ambrose Seminary, a leading theological college.

Peacock will become a pastor, vicar or minister, depending on which denomination he chooses to follow.

Since last September, he has studied for a BA in Theology at Ridley Hall, a college in Cambridge that trains future ministers.

A Christian since the age of 19, he has preached at his Anglican church in Kent and this year he has combined his football broadcasting duties with presenting Songs of Praise.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/ExToon-...-for.4121979.jp

Fair Do's.

He already looks like the Cardinal out of Dogtanion.

cardrich.jpg4.jpg

Edited by Happy Face

FORMER Newcastle United midfielder Gavin Peacock is heading to Canada to study for a career in the church.

The BBC pundit, who also played for Chelsea, will start his new life at the end of Euro 2008.

After finishing work at the tournament, the 40-year-old will emigrate with his wife and two children to Calgary, to begin a three-year Masters course in Divinity at Ambrose Seminary, a leading theological college.

Peacock will become a pastor, vicar or minister, depending on which denomination he chooses to follow.

Since last September, he has studied for a BA in Theology at Ridley Hall, a college in Cambridge that trains future ministers.

A Christian since the age of 19, he has preached at his Anglican church in Kent and this year he has combined his football broadcasting duties with presenting Songs of Praise.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/ExToon-...-for.4121979.jp

Fair Do's.

He already looks like the Cardinal out of Dogtanion.

cardrich.jpg4.jpg

Good on him, not many footballers go on to become men of the cloth.

He's still Chelsea biased though.

Edited by Glasgow Mag

Guest alex
Some bells are ringing in me heed about this. Was it Peacock who didn't want to play on a Sunday, in his early career, due to the religious reasons ??

He's been religious for a long-time. Not sure if you're mixing him up with Jonathan Edwards though :blink:

Guest alex
Thought he was an alright pundit, certainly better than Crooks.

The second bit doesn't make the first bit true though. I thought he was alright as well but I like him anyway.

Some bells are ringing in me heed about this. Was it Peacock who didn't want to play on a Sunday, in his early career, due to the religious reasons ??

He's been religious for a long-time. Not sure if you're mixing him up with Jonathan Edwards though :blink:

No, I'm fairly sure it was Peacock. In the early days of football on a Sunday (whatever next !!!!111) someone (sure it was G.P.) reportedly said he wouldn't play on that day.

Not that it matters :razz:

He was usually called in by the BBC *spits* to do punditry on the lasses football. I could never tell if he actually liked what he was watching or just feeling totally let down like the rest of us.

(wonder if they will ever have changing room cam for the ladies football ?)

I remember when he decided to grow a beard one close season - first game of the season it looked like Socrates in a toon shirt :blink:

Class player for us in his time, got us out of the shit in KK's first 6 months in charge and then was inspirational for most of the promotion push. Although he appeared to be the fall guy when we brought in Andy Cole, I'm pretty sure that he'd have have played an important part in our first Premiership campaign had his kid not been born with problems.

The second bit doesn't make the first bit true though. I thought he was alright as well but I like him anyway.

Agreed, Steven Hawkins is a better pundit than Crooks.

I remember when he decided to grow a beard one close season - first game of the season it looked like Socrates in a toon shirt :blink:

Class player for us in his time, got us out of the shit in KK's first 6 months in charge and then was inspirational for most of the promotion push. Although he appeared to be the fall guy when we brought in Andy Cole, I'm pretty sure that he'd have have played an important part in our first Premiership campaign had his kid not been born with problems.

He was injured for a fair bit during the end of that season..plus the craic at the time was that his bairn was unwell and he wanted to move to London.

He was injured for a fair bit during the end of that season..plus the craic at the time was that his bairn was unwell and he wanted to move to London.

Yeah, Keegan (like the fans) was sad to have to let Peacock go for the family reasons mentioned and wanted to keep him, whereas he chose to let say David Kelly go. as we finished 3rd you can't knock what keegan did but i'd have liked to see Kelly in the squad, especially as Beardsley was injured for weeks at the start of the season!

And Peacock has been religious a long time, certainly was whilst here as a player and like Snakehips i'm trying to think if there was soemthing in the sunday thing, even though Jonathon Edwards is the one everyone knows who did that early in his career.

Aye I know - he asked for the transfer because his newborn had problems and wanted to be near to family...