Barton - To ban or not to ban?

TheMoog

I found this an interesting read, while I don't condone Barton's actions I think I agree with the writer in principle.

The Newcastle midfielder is no angel but he still has a long way to go before the FA should consider booting him out of the sport. He hasn't committed offences against football.

'We don't want role models, we want players - cold and rugged'

Don’t drum Joey Barton out of football. We don't want role models, we want players - cold and rugged - some of the best players make the most snooze-worthy interviewees in the world, and a game that has all the wild men removed would be tepid and grey.

The Daily Mail's hyperventilating readership would have you believe that Barton and his lascivious footballing colleagues are taking apart English society one brick at a time. Yes, he isn't particularly charismatic or likeable – yes, he has been sentenced to six months in jail. But I smell the essential hypocrisy that led Duncan Ferguson to spend six weeks in Barlinnie Prison for head butting a player but let Zinedine Zidane mope off into the World Cup horizon after essentially doing the same.

Image is everything these days, Robbie Savage isn't a habitual red-card gatherer, Thomas Gravesen isn't a tough tackling midfielder, but what people think is often more important than the truth.

Barton has a list of offences as long as his arm, but a ban wouldn't be right; sprinter Dwain Chambers - a proven drug cheat for taking steroids in a sport that is totally centred around raw speed - has still managed to worm his way back into the sport, and has even fought to have his Olympic ban overturned.

How can Barton be banned for off-field antics - things that are outside the world of football? Admittedly, the FA doesn't condone the things he has done, and he - like all players - will be punished for fouls and on-field assaults. But Barton's footballing misdemeanours don't represent a piercing of the basic principles of the game, like insider betting (Tony Kay) or taking drugs (Billy Kenny) or even assaulting a fan INSIDE a stadium (Eric Cantona).

I'm afraid that the powers that be don't really have a leg to stand on with Barton. A ban from the sport would be incredibly harsh given what other players have done like the ankle-tagged Jermaine Pennant, and Lee Hughes – jailed for death by dangerous driving. Even if Newcastle do eventually let Barton go, market forces will take him to another club.

I have no doubt that Barton will learn his lesson. I just hope he learns it whilst he is young enough to still play and it doesn’t take until he is retired to see what possibilities he is frittering away.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he'd just been an average Chav (rather than a rich footballing Chav in the public eye), he'd probably not even have got a custodial sentence for what he did (sob sorry about growing up, remorse, remorse etc. etc.).

And that goes before saying that twating mouthy scallies should probably BE community service in the first place.

Guest alex
If he'd just been an average Chav (rather than a rich footballing Chav in the public eye), he'd probably not even have got a custodial sentence for what he did (sob sorry about growing up, remorse, remorse etc. etc.).

And that goes before saying that twating mouthy scallies should probably BE community service in the first place.

I think his sentence was pretty standard under the circumstances.

Edited by alex

He was given the maximum possible for the charges, that ain't standard.

Guest alex

Because of the circumstances - i.e. the nature of the attack, already being on bail, it all being caught on CCTV etc.

Because of the circumstances - i.e. the nature of the attack, already being on bail, it all being caught on CCTV etc.

And being Joey Barton. Like I said an average anonymous chav in identical circumstances would have almost certainly have got less.

Guest alex

And being Joey Barton. Like I said an average anonymous chav in identical circumstances would have almost certainly have got less.

Was it the maximum sentence btw? I didn't think it was. Anyway it's hypothetical, but I disagree with your assessment that he was treated differently.

Was it the maximum sentence btw? I didn't think it was. Anyway it's hypothetical, but I disagree with your assessment that he was treated differently.

Yup, well the judge said it was anyway. He basically was made an "example" of because of who he was not what he did, and simply didn't have the same hand of cards to play because of who he was. Not that I actually disagree with what he got, just that someone else could have got much less.

Guest alex

Yup, well the judge said it was anyway. He basically was made an "example" of because of who he was not what he did, and simply didn't have the same hand of cards to play because of who he was. Not that I actually disagree with what he got, just that someone else could have got much less.

Have you got any quotes to back that up Fop? I honestly don't remember that being reported. 6 months seems a little light for the maximum sentence for assault and affray.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

Edited by alex

Have you got any quotes to back that up Fop? I honestly don't remember that being reported. 6 months seems a little light for the maximum sentence for assault and affray.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

No idea (and I'm not spending all day looking for it - especially as it may well have been on TV on in a paper :nufc: ), but just go look up the sentencing structure, it seems to be 6 months maximum for his charge.

Guest alex

It's 5 years for assault though. Which he admitted to. Was he not found guilty of that then? I thought he was.

It's 5 years for assault though. Which he admitted to. Was he not found guilty of that then? I thought he was.

That's with a not-guilty plea though, summarily with a guilty plea it is 6 months.

I really suggest you look this up yourself if you're DETERMINED to try and prove me wrong. :nufc:

Guest alex

That's with a not-guilty plea though, summarily with a guilty plea it is 6 months.

I really suggest you look this up yourself if you're DETERMINED to try and prove me wrong. :nufc:

I don't know. You could well be right in all honesty. It seems a bit strange that the maximum sentence can be reduced by four and a half years by pleading guilty though. We need someone who knows what they're on about to clarify it really.

I really suggest you look this up yourself if you're DETERMINED to try and prove me wrong. :scratchchin:

I don't know. You could well be right in all honesty. It seems a bit strange that the maximum sentence can be reduced by four and a half years by pleading guilty though. We need someone who knows what they're on about to clarify it really.

Seems to be a recurring problem round here. :nufc:

Well it says it in the statutes, but with the law who knows, although it certainly ties in with what I said.

Guest alex

I really suggest you look this up yourself if you're DETERMINED to try and prove me wrong. :scratchchin:

Seems to be a recurring problem round here. :nufc:

:D

Punching a 16 year old! He has problems. Should be banned for at least a season.

:nufc:

If you are serious: :scratchchin:

If you are on the wind up: :D

Punching a 16 year old! He has problems. Should be banned for at least a season.

I could quite easily punch a lot of teenagers who frequent the transport system, go to the cinema and walk the streets. I wonder how I haven't already. Indeed, after meeting a tramp called 2J on Saturday I came close to it when travelling on the metro home.

:nufc:

If you are serious: :scratchchin:

If you are on the wind up: :D

Again the sort of 16 year old that is at McD's at 5:30am probably needs at least a few good beatings.

What about Jamie Carragher who - on the pitch - threw a coin that hit and Arsenal fan in the head that could have put his eye out.

How long should they have banned him for?

Both Scousers too :nufc:

On 28th February 2008, Carragher was arrested and cautioned for assault outside a school near his home in Crosby. Liverpool F.C. refused to comment.

How long for that then? Not exactly setting a good example...

What about Jamie Carragher who - on the pitch - threw a coin that hit and Arsenal fan in the head that could have put his eye out.

On 28th February 2008, Carragher was arrested and cautioned for assault outside a school near his home in Crosby. Liverpool F.C. refused to comment.

It might be an idea to poison the water supply for Merseyside.

The white cider supply would probably be more beneficial.

The white cider supply would probably be more beneficial.

Aye.

No reply from Torres either :scratchchin: