Lock them up?

Happy Face

Lock them up?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The British hospital where a couple who travelled to India for IVF treatment reportedly dumped their newborn twins when they found out they were girls confirmed today that twins were born “healthy and well” at the hospital.

The Sun reported that the mother, 59, and father, 72, travelled to India for fertility treatment that would not have been allowed in Britain because of their age.

The parents, who were born in India but are British citizens living in Birmingham, reportedly told doctors they did not want the “wrong sex” babies immediately after the children were born by Caesarean section in Wolverhampton’s New Cross Hospital a fortnight ago.

The newspaper said that the husband then asked medics how long it would be before his wife was fit enough to fly back to India for more IVF treatment in the hope of getting a boy to continue the family name.

Today a spokeswoman for New Cross Hospital said: “We can confirm a pair of twins were born at New Cross Hospital. They were healthy and well. They were born here because the maternity (facility) where the parents were living was busy, so a few days later they were transferred to a Birmingham hospital, where the parents were living.”

It was reported that the twins have not been visited a single time while in hospital.

A spokesman for Birmingham Council’s social services department said that he could not confirm any details, while a spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said she was not aware of any police involvement in the case.

Countries such as India are known to display a cultural preference for sons. An investigation by the BBC Asian Network last year showed that between 1990 and 2005 almost 1,500 fewer girls were born to Indian mothers in England and Wales than would have been expected for that group.

John Paul Maytum, spokesman for the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), which licenses and monitors IVF clinics, said that treatment in the UK was regulated to ensure babies’ welfare.

He said: “Under UK law, before anybody is given treatment, there’s a requirement that the doctor must take account of the welfare of any children born. You’re making sure that the children will go into a safe and loving environment. If the doctor has any doubts about that then they shouldn’t give treatment - that’s part of the British system.”

He added that sex selection of embryos for social reasons was illegal in the UK, and surveys showed that 80 per cent of people were opposed to the practice.

IVF treatment on the NHS is subject to guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice), which recommend a mother judged eligible should be offered up to three cycles of IVF if she is between 23 and 39 years old at the time of treatment.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4025532.ece

:nufc:

Guest alex

Heard about this on the radio. Why they're even having IVF treatment at their age is beyond me. They want shot to fucking shit for this though.

Edited by alex

There are at least two things about India for which in an idea world they would be completely ostracised from the international community - the caste system and this bias towards male children which results in countless murders and suffering.

When Apartheid was the big cause in the 80s I read an article which showed that the Caste system was worse but of course it was denounced as racist.

Well it's basically market forces.

In a lot of those countries with this ridiculous sex bias (or indeed "communities" within countries without it), if they were allowed to choose there'd be two main benefits:

1. the population would plummet - a great thing for the world.

2. very quickly a female childs "worth" would rocket - a great thing too, for women in those situations at least.

Guest alex
There are at least two things about India for which in an idea world they would be completely ostracised from the international community - the caste system and this bias towards male children which results in countless murders and suffering.

When Apartheid was the big cause in the 80s I read an article which showed that the Caste system was worse but of course it was denounced as racist.

Aye, a very good point there. That's 'cultural' though, so it's deemed as ok.

The caste system is always quietly ignored when the West is flogging itself over slavery and such.

It's ironic because the caste system is arguably one of the biggest injustices the world has ever seen (at least since the Feudal system anyway - which in many ways it basically is), and even though it's technically illegal it's still quite happily trundling along today. :nufc:

It's illegal for doctors to disclose the sex of an unborn baby in India. They don't do it in Bradford either.

It was reported that the twins have not been visited a single time while in hospital.

How very sad. :nufc:

It's illegal for doctors to disclose the sex of an unborn baby in India. They don't do it in Bradford either.

How very sad. :scratchchin:

How the fuck would you know like? Have you worked as a doctor in India? :nufc:

Luke is the new Fop/Rob W

Edited by manc-mag

Knowing 2 couples quite closely who've been trying IVF for years without success and who, IMO would make fantastic parents, this story completely and utterly disgusts me...

Fine let them return to India for more treatment - but do it as part of a deportation order. If you want to do things the Indian way, then surely that's the place for them to live?

That a fucking disgrace. Damn sad at the same time. The amount of couples who would love to be in their fortunate position. Poor kids.

How very sad. :D

How the fuck would you know like? Have you worked as a doctor in India? :scratchchin:

Yes, I have. :nufc:

How very sad. :rolleyes:

How the fuck would you know like? Have you worked as a doctor in India? :scratchchin:

NHS fast track. :D

How very sad. :D

What he mans is he done a stint in the General.

That a fucking disgrace. Damn sad at the same time. The amount of couples who would love to be in their fortunate position. Poor kids.

Actually putting some positive spin on it, the kids have probably had a lucky escape. Desperately sad that they've entered this world though without anyone seeming to love them.

Parents are fucking animals.

NHS fast track. :D

NHS glasses.

Actually putting some positive spin on it, the kids have probably had a lucky escape. Desperately sad that they've entered this world though without anyone seeming to love them.

Parents are fucking animals.

Would have only ended up in a suitcase on the hard shoulder somewhere - fact

Guest alex

How the fuck would you know like? Have you worked as a doctor in India? :D

What he mans is he done a stint in the General.

:scratchchin:

I would have to lump the IPL in with that. India has poverty on a scale unimaginable in Britain and yet the wealth it has thrown at Cricketers is obscene.

Guest alex

I would have to lump the IPL in with that. India has poverty on a scale unimaginable in Britain and yet the wealth it has thrown at Cricketers is obscene.

Jesus Christ. I don't think you're joking either.

Heard about this on the radio. Why they're even having IVF treatment at their age is beyond me. They want shot to fucking shit for this though.

Agreed.

I'll gladly do it personally with a blunt instrument.