Joy Division

Tooj

Let's just say I'm "acquiring" this documentary from Rapidshare, and I was wondering if anyone had seen it?

joy784.jpg

A chronological history of the post-punk band, this documentary features live archive footage alongside interviews with the remaining band members and individuals involved in the Manchester music scene at the time.

From their first DIY punk rip-offs as the bands Stiff Kittens and Warsaw ("really dreadful, dreadful, dreadful, dreadful songs," according to guitarist Bernard Sumner), through to their early gigs in Greater Manchester, the film makes use of a formidable array of archive footage, for which director Gee and his chief researcher Ed Webb-Ingall deserve a great deal of credit.

http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/reviews.php?id=6980

After 24 Hour Party People, Control, Factory: Manchester from Joy Division to Happy Mondays and The Factory Records Saga I'm glad to see there's another Joy Division film to fill the gap in the market.

Amazing considering the amount of actual footage of them.

• 1 month later...

Someone has stolen his gravestone:

Ian Curtis memorial stone stolen

The gravestone of former Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis has been stolen from a Cheshire cemetery.

Curtis was 23 when he hanged himself in the kitchen of his Macclesfield home in May 1980, shortly before the band were due to go on tour in the US.

Cheshire Police said his memorial stone was taken from where he is buried in Macclesfield Cemetery.

Officers are appealing for anyone with information on its whereabouts to contact them.

Detectives said the stone, which has the inscription "Ian Curtis 18 - 5 - 80" and the words "Love Will Tear Us Apart" was taken sometime between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning.

A police spokesman said: "There is no CCTV in the area and there are no apparent leads as to who is responsible for the theft.

"This is a very unusual theft and I am confident that someone locally will have knowledge about who is responsible or where the memorial stone is at present."

Although the band reformed into New Order after Curtis's death in 1980, there has been an upsurge of interest in its work.

An acclaimed biopic about Curtis, called Control, was released in 2007 and a film documentary, called simply Joy Division, was released earlier this year.

Shocking behaviour. Who in their right mind would steal somebody's headstone??

Let's just say I'm "acquiring" this documentary from Rapidshare, and I was wondering if anyone had seen it?

joy784.jpg

A chronological history of the post-punk band, this documentary features live archive footage alongside interviews with the remaining band members and individuals involved in the Manchester music scene at the time.

From their first DIY punk rip-offs as the bands Stiff Kittens and Warsaw ("really dreadful, dreadful, dreadful, dreadful songs," according to guitarist Bernard Sumner), through to their early gigs in Greater Manchester, the film makes use of a formidable array of archive footage, for which director Gee and his chief researcher Ed Webb-Ingall deserve a great deal of credit.

what's this documentary like then? I recently watched 'control' and whilst I enjoyed it to an extent it certainly didnt seem very sympathetic to Ian ( not hugely surprising of course) and would be interested in watching this.

joy784.jpg

what's this documentary like then? I recently watched 'control' and whilst I enjoyed it to an extent it certainly didnt seem very sympathetic to Ian ( not hugely surprising of course) and would be interested in watching this.

I'm just about to watch it now actually, as I've been watching The Wire over the past few weeks so I will let you know.

Has anyone seen the film? (name escapes me) Saw it the other week thought it was superb.

Control?

Thats the one. Quality.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=471398

Bought the documentary the other day, hopefully it will even the score for Ian.

just been looking at the movies thread you linked to, shit is Bernie gay? seriously i missed that one, although thinking about it he pretty obviously is. Electronic ffs.

think i need to google this for more info!

Has anyone seen the film? (name escapes me) Saw it the other week thought it was superb.

Control?

Thats the one. Quality.

just been looking at the movies thread you linked to, shit is Bernie gay? seriously i missed that one, although thinking about it he pretty obviously is. Electronic ffs.

well apparently he's married so he cant be

B)

Control?

Thats the one. Quality.

Married to his second wife according to wikipedia.

Although things like playing their first gigs in NY as New Order at a high profile gay club haven't helped to dispel the rumours.

Unimportant tbh.

Electronic sounded gay as fuck what can one expect with Johnny Marr and Neil Tennant in the band?

Edited by sammynb

Control?

Thats the one. Quality.

well apparently he's married so he cant be

B)

Exactly, even Reggie Dwight had one of those. :blush:

Control?

Thats the one. Quality.

Although things like playing their first gigs in NY as New Order at a high profile gay club haven't helped to dispel the rumours.

Unimportant tbh.

Electronic sounded gay as fuck what can one expect with Johnny Marr and Neil Tennant in the band?

he's not as well is he?

(by the way i dont care if he is I just didnt realise and feel like I'm the last person to find out!)

Control?

Thats the one. Quality.

Unimportant tbh.

he's not as well is he?

(by the way i dont care if he is I just didnt realise and feel like I'm the last person to find out!)

What? Do you honestly believe The Smiths broke up over Johnny Marr eating a meat pie?

It's not a euphemism!

Guest alex

Electronic were canny good (1st album anyway) and Neil Tennant wasn't in Electronic, he only guested on 'Getting Away With It' and another tune iirc. Which was also good. That is all.

Edited by alex

Electronic were canny good (1st album anyway) and Neil Tennant wasn't in Electronic, he only guested on 'Getting Away With It' and another tune iirc. Which was also good. That is all.

But Alex you still live in a happy house and where 808 is a state of mind!

They co-wrote the majority of their output between 1989 and 1998, collaborating with Neil Tennant on three tracks in their early years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_%28band%29