Keegan rules out overhaul of squad

Jimbo

Keegan rules out overhaul

Newcastle boss happy with foundations

By Rob Parrish Last updated: 30th May 2008

International Friendlies

After a difficult start following his return to St James' Park in January, the Magpies eventually improved to finish the campaign in 12th place.

And while champions Manchester United more than doubled Newcastle's points tally for the season, Keegan believes that the foundations are already in place for a much-improved display in 2008/09.

Quality

He told the Evening Chronicle: "We've already got some quality players and we hope to add to that.

"It's hard to predict. I can say better when it is the start of the season when I have all the squad together.

"If you ask me then I can look round and say this is what we are going to go with."

Keegan admitted changing the training regime for the Magpies was his main priority when he took over in the wake of Sam Allardyce's departure.

Formula

He added: "I've enjoyed it. We've changed a few things at Newcastle.

"When you come into a club, everybody has different ideas, and that's no criticism of what had gone on before.

"Our main aim was to try to make players here enjoy coming to the training ground, and by doing that make sure they do the right kind of work.

"If you can get that right it's a pretty good formula."

Bad news for you lot IMO. Keegans motivation can only take you so far. You need two quality 11s to compete these days.

Ashley's influence?

Bad news for you lot IMO. Keegans motivation can only take you so far. You need two quality 11s to compete these days.

Ashley's influence?

Nah not bad news at all

You dont need 22 decent players IMO. We do need some new players thats right but a complete new squad?

Ashley's influence?

complete rubbish

Edited by Andrew

Ashley's influence?

complete rubbish

Yep. Utter tosh.

Ashley's influence?

complete rubbish

It's not for the top 4 tho, I'd say about 5 or 6 for the rest and if this is true above, then I expect another poor season tbh

Thing is, he's right, we dont need an overhaul. We a couple of players to slot straight into the first team and a couple to add competition for places / strength in depth. We have a small squad as it is, which makes more amazing the fact we have such a high wage bill. Makes you understand why Ashley wants to put a wage structure in place (if true). As for two complete 11's. aye thats rubbish really. While you can understand that thought, you dont need it. Depends how you do on injuries and the quality of your youth.

You need good cover it's true, we lack strength in depth and have for several seasons now. With our squad being paper thin we really do need some new faces in to bulk us out, I can't shake the feeling though that Ashley's not backing Kev as much as we'd like him to. We're not a club in financial trouble, we have a wealthy owner, while I'm enjoying the transfer thing being low-key for a change it doesn't help keep the momentum going that arrived when Keegan returned. I don't expect instant success, contrary to the popular belief of crap journos and muppets I think the majority of Toon fans feel the same way - it would be nice though to think that we have some good, new players to look forward to rather than every time we're linked with someone that person ends up at Spurs, or worse at a mid-table team not even in Europe. Currently we don't have the pull we're used to but hopefully if Ashley backs Kev we can have a good enough season this year that our pull will be back to normal for next summer. Ashley needs to be making more of a public show of support for Keegan though imo.

You know Keegan had us 5th over the last 8 games. Which included Chelsea, Everton Portsmouth and West Ham.

No need whatsoever to spend big.

If we sell anyone, I'd replace them. Maybe replace a couple of those that left at the end of the season.

Ashley's influence?

Is this a unsubtle inference? Are you suggesting that Keegan's brings motivation alone? He's shown already, in his second stint, that he's quite capable with the old tactical management too.

And we don't need two first 11's, if Man have won the title without two 11's, why can't we? :nufc:

What the article is trying to infer isn't really backed up by the KK quotes.

KK is still just saying what he said a month ago ie we need a few new players. He isn't saying anything about foundations and he has never either said we need to buy 8 players.

Nothing article really.

Ashley's influence?

TBH id rather we didnt spend any money than waste 11mil on shite like dos santos

Ashley's influence?

TBH id rather we didnt spend any money than waste 11mil on shite like dos santos

You're right. All the money the club are saving can be distributed back amongst the fans :nufc:

Face it lads, Utd, Chelsea, Pool all have massive squads filled with quality. The reson L'@rse flagged so bad was they couldnt cope with all those comps with such a thin squad.

I know it is not fair but it is true.

Ashley's influence?

You're right. All the money the club are saving can be distributed back amongst the fans :nufc:

Face it lads, Utd, Chelsea, Pool all have massive squads filled with quality. The reson L'@rse flagged so bad was they couldnt cope with all those comps with such a thin squad.

But the game is to build in a clever way to close the gap and not panick buy or overtretch on the way which can set you back to square one.

If Roman walks away from Chelsea they will soon come back to earth.

Liv and Man Utd have huge debts, if either have one bad season with inj or loss of form to key players and miss the CL they will be in serious trouble, especially Liverpool who are already financially fully extended.

Ashley's influence?

But the game is to build in a clever way to close the gap and not panick buy or overtretch on the way which can set you back to square one.

Liv and Man Utd have huge debts, if either have one bad season with inj or loss of form to key players and miss the CL they will be in serious trouble, especially Liverpool who are already financially fully extended.

Totally agree but 40mil should get you six good players if spent wisely. That would be a start that shows some intent.

Ashley's influence?

Totally agree but 40mil should get you six good players if spent wisely. That would be a start that shows some intent.

I think we will spend about 30m net. :scratchchin:

Ashley's influence?

For Champions League certainly, for the UEFA to a lesser degree, but we don't have that to worry about next season.

We just need what we've desperately needed for 3 pissing seasons now, a quality creative midfielder (or 2), and this season certainly an injection of pace or two to the squad. As well as some better LB&RB back up and probably someone in a Viduka-esq mould.

3-4 quality players of the right type would do wonders for the current squad, but getting them will be the trick, not to mention we'd still somewhat lack in depth.

We're not ready to worry about getting back where Robson had us, or Keegan for that matter, we just need to worry about competing for 5th-7th this coming season.

Ashley's influence?

fuck off scrotum no mates. let's see the point diff next season because you murdered us in the league this season :nufc:

Ashley's influence?

fuck off scrotum no mates. let's see the point diff next season because you murdered us in the league this season :up:

ha ha ha.

It doesn't matter what Keegan wants, it's what Ashley and Wise want. Unfortunately, the craic I've heard, Keegan will get what he's given.

Well I hope that's not true (and I can't see Keegan standing for it myself), but if it is then. :up:

I think it's fine to sensibly restructure the club, but only in a way that allows to challenge for Europe and 5th, otherwise there's not much point at all.