Sunday rags

JawD

Manchester United will make a record-breaking offer for Lyon's French striker Karim Benzema in a deal that could top £30m. (The People)

Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb will join Barcelona this week in a £12m deal. (Sunday Mirror)

Newcastle and Manchester City are battling it out for Deportivo La Coruna's £10m-rated defender Fabricio Coloccini. (The People)

Arsene Wenger is ready to raid Hamburg for midfielder Piotr Trochowski to replace the departed Matthieu Flamini. (The People)

Newcastle want to hijack Portsmouth's bid to sign Liverpool's Peter Crouch and will offer £8m for the England striker. (The People)

Juande Ramos is planning a summer clearout at Tottenham with Paul Robinson, Darren Bent, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Gilberto, Younnes Kaboul, Adel Taarbet and Jamie O'Hara all set to be axed by the Spaniard. (Sunday Mirror)

Spurs are confident of signing 16-year-old Crystal Palace midfielder John Bostock, with the fee likely to be decided by a tribunal. (The Sunday Times)

Samuel Eto'o is believed to have asked Tottenham for an annual salary of £7.8m, three times more than any other player at White Hart Lane. (The Observer)

The north London club will turn to Argentina striker Diego Milito if Dimitar Berbatov leaves the club. (The People)

Spurs are also hoping to hijack Liverpool's bid for Blackburn winger David Bentley and are prepared to offer £7m plus Aaron Lennon and Hossam Ghaly. (The People)

Sampdoria's £4m-rated Argentine defender Hugo Campagnaro is wanted by both Tottenham and Aston Villa. (The People)

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is considering a move for Palermo midfielder Mark Bresciano. (The Sunday Times)

Martin O'Neill has made a £7m bid for Newcastle's James Milner and is also keen to bring Greek right-back Giorkas Seitaridis to Aston Villa. (The People)

Djbrill Cisse could return to the Premier League after being left out of France's Euro 2008 squad. Newcastle, Blackburn and West Ham are in the running. (Sunday Express)

Hull want Portsmouth's David Nugent who is available for around £3m. (The People)

Rangers are lining up a bid for West Brom midfielder Jonathan Greening. (The People)

Newcastle are ready to snap-up highly-rated Carlisle goalkeeper Kieran Westwood and is also looking at the club's teenage striker Gary Madine. (The People)

Michael Mifsud looks set to leave Coventry with Sunderland, Rangers and Birmingham all interested in the £2m-rated striker. (The People)

West Ham defender Anton Ferdinand is set for a £6m move across London to join Tottenham. (Various)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is lining up a £3m swoop for Crystal Palace starlet Sean Scannell. (Sunday Mirror)

Queens Park Rangers are targeting an ambitious move for Aston Villa striker Marlon Harewood and want to pair him with West Ham's Bobby Zamora. (Sunday Mirror)

QPR are also planning to complete a Premier League hat-trick with the signing of Spurs defender Anthony Gardner. (Sunday Mirror)

Championship new boys Swansea City have been told they must splash out £235,000 to sign 30-year-old Granada striker Gorka Pintado. (News of the World)

OTHER GOSSIP

Arsene Wenger will leave Arsenal when his contract expires in 2011 to become president of French side Paris St Germain. (Sunday Telegraph)

Newcastle's players fear Kevin Keegan could quit St James' Park after being told he must trim about £10m off the club's wage bill to fund new players. (Sunday Mirror)

Manchester City have made the first move to persuade Mark Hughes to quit Blackburn, offering the Welshman £3m-a-year to move to Eastlands. (Mail on Sunday)

However, Brazil legend Zico has emerged as a strong favourite to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson in Manchester. (News of the World)

AND FINALLY

Liverpool are officially the best team in Europe. The Anfield club top the official Uefa rankings that are based on European performances over the last five years. AC Milan are a point behind in second, Chelsea make into third while European champions Manchester United only make it to seventh. (Sunday Express)

Department store Selfridges is launching a crystal-studded football table to celebrate Manchester United's double winning season. Just 20 of the bespoke tables, that each boast 150,000 red and black crystals, will be available and will set you back a mere £70,000. (Sunday Mirror)

I must admit if paper reports are to be believed (that's a BIG if though) I can understand Kev feeling pissed off with being messed about by the board. Yes we probably could do with trimming the wage bill but Kev could also do with some backing.

On a side note I'd snap Crouch up given half a chance, I want to see the crazy robot dance!

I must admit if paper reports are to be believed (that's a BIG if though) I can understand Kev feeling pissed off with being messed about by the board. Yes we probably could do with trimming the wage bill but Kev could also do with some backing.

On a side note I'd snap Crouch up given half a chance, I want to see the crazy robot dance!

The thing the worries me is that trying to financially restructure and progress is a bit like trying to loss body fat and put on muscle mass at the same time.

It is hard to do both at the same time.

Keegan would have every right to be annoyed if he came here under the pretence of "money's no object (never true, of couse, but never the less) we want success", and now is finding himself trying to progress whilst in a financial straight jacket (even if that is going to be a good thing long term).

Manchester United will make a record-breaking offer for Lyon's French striker Karim Benzema in a deal that could top £30m. (The People)

Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb will join Barcelona this week in a £12m deal. (Sunday Mirror)

Newcastle and Manchester City are battling it out for Deportivo La Coruna's £10m-rated defender Fabricio Coloccini. (The People)

Arsene Wenger is ready to raid Hamburg for midfielder Piotr Trochowski to replace the departed Matthieu Flamini. (The People)

Newcastle want to hijack Portsmouth's bid to sign Liverpool's Peter Crouch and will offer £8m for the England striker. (The People)

Juande Ramos is planning a summer clearout at Tottenham with Paul Robinson, Darren Bent, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Gilberto, Younnes Kaboul, Adel Taarbet and Jamie O'Hara all set to be axed by the Spaniard. (Sunday Mirror)

Spurs are confident of signing 16-year-old Crystal Palace midfielder John Bostock, with the fee likely to be decided by a tribunal. (The Sunday Times)

Samuel Eto'o is believed to have asked Tottenham for an annual salary of £7.8m, three times more than any other player at White Hart Lane. (The Observer)

The north London club will turn to Argentina striker Diego Milito if Dimitar Berbatov leaves the club. (The People)

Spurs are also hoping to hijack Liverpool's bid for Blackburn winger David Bentley and are prepared to offer £7m plus Aaron Lennon and Hossam Ghaly. (The People)

Sampdoria's £4m-rated Argentine defender Hugo Campagnaro is wanted by both Tottenham and Aston Villa. (The People)

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is considering a move for Palermo midfielder Mark Bresciano. (The Sunday Times)

Martin O'Neill has made a £7m bid for Newcastle's James Milner and is also keen to bring Greek right-back Giorkas Seitaridis to Aston Villa. (The People)

Djbrill Cisse could return to the Premier League after being left out of France's Euro 2008 squad. Newcastle, Blackburn and West Ham are in the running. (Sunday Express)

Hull want Portsmouth's David Nugent who is available for around £3m. (The People)

Rangers are lining up a bid for West Brom midfielder Jonathan Greening. (The People)

Newcastle are ready to snap-up highly-rated Carlisle goalkeeper Kieran Westwood and is also looking at the club's teenage striker Gary Madine. (The People)

Michael Mifsud looks set to leave Coventry with Sunderland, Rangers and Birmingham all interested in the £2m-rated striker. (The People)

West Ham defender Anton Ferdinand is set for a £6m move across London to join Tottenham. (Various)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is lining up a £3m swoop for Crystal Palace starlet Sean Scannell. (Sunday Mirror)

Queens Park Rangers are targeting an ambitious move for Aston Villa striker Marlon Harewood and want to pair him with West Ham's Bobby Zamora. (Sunday Mirror)

QPR are also planning to complete a Premier League hat-trick with the signing of Spurs defender Anthony Gardner. (Sunday Mirror)

Championship new boys Swansea City have been told they must splash out £235,000 to sign 30-year-old Granada striker Gorka Pintado. (News of the World)

OTHER GOSSIP

Arsene Wenger will leave Arsenal when his contract expires in 2011 to become president of French side Paris St Germain. (Sunday Telegraph)

Newcastle's players fear Kevin Keegan could quit St James' Park after being told he must trim about £10m off the club's wage bill to fund new players. (Sunday Mirror)

Manchester City have made the first move to persuade Mark Hughes to quit Blackburn, offering the Welshman £3m-a-year to move to Eastlands. (Mail on Sunday)

However, Brazil legend Zico has emerged as a strong favourite to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson in Manchester. (News of the World)

AND FINALLY

Liverpool are officially the best team in Europe. The Anfield club top the official Uefa rankings that are based on European performances over the last five years. AC Milan are a point behind in second, Chelsea make into third while European champions Manchester United only make it to seventh. (Sunday Express)

Department store Selfridges is launching a crystal-studded football table to celebrate Manchester United's double winning season. Just 20 of the bespoke tables, that each boast 150,000 red and black crystals, will be available and will set you back a mere £70,000. (Sunday Mirror)

:up:

The thing the worries me is that trying to financially restructure and progress is a bit like trying to loss body fat and put on muscle mass at the same time.

Keegan would have every right to be annoyed if he came here under the pretence of "money's no object (never true, of couse, but never the less) we want success", and now is finding himself trying to progress whilst in a financial straight jacket (even if that is going to be a good thing long term).

Maybe (i don't know like cos i am not an insider) the whole managment structure has looked at it and have decided that its not so much wage structure as paying over the odds for complete wastes of space like emre - it galls me (and its not even my money) so it must gall ashley that so much money goes on these wankers who only play one game in five and even when they do manage to turn up look at best moderately interested - i am positive that you could recruit a player for a fraction of the cost of emre that could have played more games and even if slightly less gifted than emre could have made more of an impact.

Well this has been the whole problem over the last decade. Paying over the odds for average players and putting them on over the top wages meaning they have no desire to leave and are happy to sit and rake it in. No surprise we were 5th highest wage payers in 06/07 and yet performed poorly in the league. While I think a wage ceiling can be prohibitive if you want to attract the top players, we aint in that position anyway. I certainly think we need to restructure and get some kind of thing in place while building. No more bringing in average players on top wages.

Well this has been the whole problem over the last decade. Paying over the odds for average players and putting them on over the top wages meaning they have no desire to leave and are happy to sit and rake it in. No surprise we were 5th highest wage payers in 06/07 and yet performed poorly in the league. While I think a wage ceiling can be prohibitive if you want to attract the top players, we aint in that position anyway. I certainly think we need to restructure and get some kind of thing in place while building. No more bringing in average players on top wages.

Aye for the last ten years there have been too many players whose ambition was to sign for us knowing full well that they would acheive millionaire status and be able to take their foot off the pedal comfortable in the knowledge that non-acheivment was tolerated

Aye for the last ten years there have been too many players whose ambition was to sign for us knowing full well that they would acheive millionaire status and be able to take their foot off the pedal comfortable in the knowledge that non-acheivment was tolerated

While that is completely true, I think it`ll take a few seasons to stop the rot and a lot of patience from KK and his team. The whole mentality has to change and that will mean sacrifice. The rot is quite deep but not unassailable.

Edited by Torres

While that is completely true, I think it`ll take a few seasons to stop the rot and a lot of patience from KK and his team. The whole mentality has to change and that will mean sacrifice. The rot is quite deep but not unassailable.

And your point is?

If I simplified it any more even a non-native speaker could make it out. :up:

If this discussion had anything to do with you then i would attempt to assemble a reply - as it is though i haven't even got the will to verbally abuse you so why not just pop off and have a chat with your scouse chums

Weren't we "The Best Team in Europe" a few years back when we went so many games unbeaten in the UEFA Cup?

Probably the best uefa cup team in Europe. :lol:

Keegan doesn't have to do anything with the wages. I thought the managers didn't have much to do with that these days?

It affects the contract negotiations of every player he wants so I would say he has.

If I simplified it any more even a non-native speaker could make it out. :lol:

If this discussion had anything to do with you then i would attempt to assemble a reply - as it is though i haven't even got the will to verbally abuse you so why not just pop off and have a chat with your scouse chums

Guest alex

If any of it's true, that is. All the papers have done is write unsubstatiated stuff about us since Shepherd left and they stopped getting their regular quoto of stories straight from the horse's mouth. How many times has Keegan been on the brink, Ashley on the verge of selling, etc.?

I'd much rather see how this summer pans out rather than listening to the rags. We've got one newspaper saying we're going to spend x amount on a player and another saying we've got to restructure.

Weren't we "The Best Team in Europe" a few years back when we went so many games unbeaten in the UEFA Cup?

:lol:

We were, aye. I think we were top for 12/18 months because of the shite we were hammering in the UEFA Cup :up:

Edited by Ketsbaia

If any of it's true, that is. All the papers have done is write unsubstatiated stuff about us since Shepherd left and they stopped getting their regular quoto of stories straight from the horse's mouth. How many times has Keegan been on the brink, Ashley on the verge of selling, etc.?

Nail on head.

There aren't really and ifs and buts here imo. KK is on record iirc twice saying he hadn't spoken to MA about the transfer budget. He's made vague statements about "....sure MA will back him" etc...Which isn't really the same thing.

£7mil for Milner and £8mil for Emre :up:

I bought Cisse for newcastle on PES yesterday and hes ace!!! He might be canny if he gets a starting place. Cant help but think if we sign another striker though that Martins will be on his way

Guest alex

Owen's been played in the 'hole' instead of as an out and out striker of late, Viduka's crocked for up to 6 months, Smith's shit and possibly away, ditto Shola. So even if we sign a striker (or two) I'd hope Martins stays. And I'm not his biggest fan either.