He's off again...

TheMoog

From SSN:

Steven Taylor admits that he is concerned by the lack of progress in his contract talks with Newcastle.

The defender's current deal is set to expire at the end of next season and as yet he has been unable to agree an extension.

As a Geordie, Taylor's commitment to the Magpies' cause cannot be questioned and the centre-half hopes that he will not be put in a situation where he is forced to walk away from his beloved St James' Park.

Desperate

"I'm desperate to stay, especially with Kevin Keegan now in charge," the England U21 skipper told the Daily Star.

"But I hate the fact that I've got 13 months left on my contract. Every day that's passing, I'm wondering if it's a day nearer to me leaving.

"Believe me, that's the last thing I want.

"Everyone knows that I'm desperate to commit myself to this club but the deal has got to be right."

Taylor endured an up-and-down season last year, falling out of favour under Sam Allardyce before returning to the fold once Keegan returned to Tyneside in January.

He admits that he experienced a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the 2007/08 campaign, but is already looking forward to establishing himself from the start once the new season gets under way in August.

Devastating

"When you're playing for the club you love it means so much and it's devastating when you're not even in the squad," he said.

"All sorts of things go through your mind.

"Thankfully things have picked up and there's real light at the end of the tunnel with Kevin Keegan as manager here again.

"He's the most honest guy I've ever come across in the game. He wears his heart on his sleeve all the time.

"But above all he commands the respect of everyone because of what he's done in the game and the dressing room is 100 per cent behind him.

"All the players can't wait for the new season because we believe the future is really bright at Newcastle.

"And it goes without saying that I want to be a big part of it."

Is that not what he said last time? Either Sky's lazy journos are bored or Taylor's acting like a cracked record. In all fairness I can understand Taylor wanting it sorted but this really isn't the way to go about getting a decent contract offer.

Would rather tie him up on a new deal than spend daft money on the likes of dunne - he is easily as good as him (though i don't reckon taylor is a superstar or anything) Dunne got raped and humiliated by Torres - no better than what we have got

What?

Would rather tie him up on a new deal than spend daft money on the likes of dunne - he is easily as good as him (though i don't reckon taylor is a superstar or anything) Dunne got raped and humiliated by Torres - no better than what we have got

Pretty much all of this

:up:

What?

Pretty much all of this

What that Dunne is no better than Taylor? well i must be thinking of a different player to the one that got pissed on by fernando torres and is generally viewed as a solid, if somewhat clumsy, central defender with a good attitude (man city fans obviously love him cos he is there man) , so which category does taylor not fall into? - by the way i am no great fan of taylor - but beleive if you can't improve on him why fork 4-5 mill on the same quality

What?

Pretty much all of this

What that Dunne is no better than Taylor? well i must be thinking of a different player to the one that got pissed on by fernando torres and is generally viewed as a solid, if somewhat clumsy, central defender with a good attitude (man city fans obviously love him cos he is there man) , so which category does taylor not fall into? - by the way i am no great fan of taylor - but beleive if you can't improve on him why fork 4-5 mill on the same quality

Dunne is the best defender outside the top 4 barring Lescott. One bad game does not make him a bad defender.

What?

Pretty much all of this

Dunne is the best defender outside the top 4 barring Lescott. One bad game does not make him a bad defender.

Its all about opinions and i will leave mine there - but we will see who he goes to and how he performs

Guest alex

What's Taylor done to suggest he's easily as good as Dunne? The only time he's looked ok in about 2 seasons is the brief spell of form (when the rest of the team was playing well) in the last few games of the season. He could turn out to be as good as Dunne (I doubt it though) but he's nowhere near that yet.

Not quite sure where this opinion that Dunne is class came from like? Hes consistently average. Last year it was Ben Haim who was the world beater, then it was Abdoulaye Faye. I agree Taylor is on a par with any of them

As a Geordie, Taylor's commitment to the Magpies' cause cannot be questioned and the centre-half hopes that he will not be put in a situation where he is forced to walk away from his beloved St James' Park.

I'd question it like.

If he wants to hold the club top ransom then he needs to deal with the consequences if they call his bluff. If we start paying a lad who's not even an international forty or fifty thousand what are we going to have to pay to bring in proven quality?

I'd question it like.

If he wants to hold the club top ransom then he needs to deal with the consequences if they call his bluff. If we start paying a lad who's not even an international forty or fifty thousand what are we going to have to pay to bring in proven quality?

Agreed. I get the feeling he's getting a bit out of hand.

You cant blame the lad. When inferior players are being paid twice as much id want a slice of the action too

Which inferior players?

He's still on his first pro terms contract, I'm sure the deal offered is a vast improvement (despite him not showing any on the pitch). I wonder if any other club would be interested in paying him what he's asking for, no-one has shown any interest whatsoever as far as I remember.

Edited by Happy Face

Have to admit that I thought the thread was going to be about Zog.

As for Taylor, surely he and his representatives realise that the money they want is no longer being paid by NUFC under the new owner?

Dunne? I haven't seen enough of him tbh but whenever I have I've never thought of him as owt special. Looks like he's going to Spurs or Pompey though so he wont get a chance to prove me wrong, by the looks of it.

Hel disappear into obscurity. Hes another Dean Richards man, one half decent season and his agents hawking him about for as much money as he can get

Hasn't he been their player of the year 2 seasons running?

Hel disappear into obscurity. Hes another Dean Richards man, one half decent season and his agents hawking him about for as much money as he can get

Hasn't he been their player of the year 2 seasons running?

Four.

Taylor better than Dunne :up: Not even worth his pocket money, never mind 40K. I see nowt in him whatsoever; like said, the only time he's not looked like a total carthorse is when the rest of the team has been playing well and I'm sick of people chalking mistakes up to him being young and relatively inexperienced. 80 or so Premier League starts and he's still making basic errors? We need to get shot of him now considering we could probably get daft money for him.