Big Brother 2008

Happy Face

Big Brother housemates will have to grow their own food this year, the show's producers have said.

The 16 contestants will have to cultivate their own potatoes and carrots and season their food with herbs from the garden.

This year's "green" Big Brother house will also feature a large recycling bin in the kitchen.

The ninth series of the show, which will run for 13 weeks, begins on Thursday night at 2100BST on Channel 4.

Pictures released by producers show that the house boasts a luxury bedroom as well as a dormitory-style room with short beds and scratchy blankets.

The luxury room features eight double beds complete with velvet cushions, a walk-in closet and burgundy and gold drapes.

The two bedrooms are intended to divide the contestants competing for the £100,000 prize.

'Zero tolerance'

Other changes announced include two staircases leading to the outside world.

And the diary room has been built under the stairs to cut off the housemates from the rest of the house.

The luxury bedroom features eight double beds

A "jail", in the form of a tiny claustrophobic area enclosed by metal bars in the garden, is also ready for use if any housemates need to be punished.

Show bosses have refused to confirm reports that the new series will feature a blind housemate.

Executive producer Phil Edgar-Jones said there was still great demand for the show.

"Certainly in the build up, there's much more excitement about it this year than last year," he said.

"Ratings are not my main concern while I'm making it."

Another executive producer, Sharon Powers, emphasised a zero tolerance policy towards housemates this year.

"We are sick and tired of housemates coming to the diary room asking to leave and talking to each other about nominations," she said.

"We're not going to tolerate rule breaking. If housemates break the rules, you have to spend the night in jail."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7435050.stm

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year's "green" Big Brother house will also feature a large recycling bin in the kitchen

:D

:nah: Mind you, I can still see all the mongs they get on the show being thoroughly baffled by the concept.

Guest alex
Britain must be the only country in the civilised world where Big Brother still has viewers.

I think less people are watching it. Seems to be less interest every year anyway. C4 obviously still make enough out of it though.

This year's "green" Big Brother house will also feature a large recycling bin in the kitchen

:icon_lol:

:nah: Mind you, I can still see all the mongs they get on the show being thoroughly baffled by the concept.

Aye, it'll be a close run thing between them understanding it........... and the sun burning out. :D

I used to work with a lass who was contemplating reading '1984' because she liked watching Big Brother.

One year one of the contestants had a hard time convincing the rest of the housemates the format was even based on a book.

:nah:

Guest alex
I used to work with a lass who was contemplating reading '1984' because she liked watching Big Brother.

One year one of the contestants had a hard time convincing the rest of the housemates the format was even based on a book.

I think flicking through 'Heat' was the first she'd heard about it. She'd never heard of George Orwell before.

I think flicking through 'Heat' was the first she'd heard about it. She'd never heard of George Orwell before.

I hope you encouraged her to read it with comments like "it's just like the TV show!". :D

Guest alex

I hope you encouraged her to read it with comments like "it's just like the TV show!". :D

She did ask if it was. I just laughed.

We had to include a book review section in our university newspaper, with suggestions put together by the PR class. One badly spelled presentation suggested we review 1984 and ask that daft dancer from up here who won it a few years back about the book. Aye right, as if he's fucking read Orwell :nah:

Edited by Ketsbaia

Guest alex
It Was a Bright Cold Day in April, and the Clocks Were Striking 13...

That's as far as the kid Skol's on about got too.

:D

To be fair that means he's been through a pretty hefty prefix :nah:

Guest alex

Wrong word mate :D

Wrong word mate :D

Britain must be the only country in the civilised world where Big Brother still has viewers.

I've never heard of any countries which have dropped the format yet.

The general (and media) interest in the show seems to be much higher in Britain than elsewhere in Europe, e.g. Germany or Italy.

I've never heard of any countries which have dropped the format yet.

The general (and media) interest in the show seems to be much higher in Britain than elsewhere in Europe, e.g. Germany or Italy.

I've only been to Germany once and it was all world cup hysteria so I can't say I know how much interest was shown in the past or presently.

This is the UK though...

overallgraph.gif

The last series BB8 had the worst final week viewing figures ever, having lost two thirds from the peak numbers of BB3 (under 4M from a peak of 6M).

Looking it up, Germany is different because it introduced a never-ending format that bored people a bit more than the set competition and did get cancelled apparently....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/mar/2...er.broadcasting

But figures had dropped from a 6Million peak to 2.3Million so almost two thirds had switched off before that even got started. The old format returned though and the current German series is on air now.

I think it's safe to say people are bored of it all over the world.