Favourite Books

catmag

Okies, well as there are so many people on here twittering on about how adults shouldn't read Harry Potter as it's a kids book etc, I thought I'd see what your fave books were when you were a kid.

I admit to being an incredibly nerdy bookworm as a child and whenever I was sent to clean my room I'd start with the bookcase. My mother would come upstairs an hour later to find me sat in the middle of the floor engrossed in a book. My absolute fave from being quite little was The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton, and I must have read pretty much every one of her books over the years and even bought a copy of it for old times sake last year sometime. I also loved Roald Dahl. My fave book ever remains Little Women by L.M. Alcott.

Howay then - chip in :razz:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okies, well as there are so many people on here twittering on about how adults shouldn't read Harry Potter as it's a kids book etc, I thought I'd see what your fave books were when you were a kid.

I admit to being an incredibly nerdy bookworm as a child and whenever I was sent to clean my room I'd start with the bookcase.  My mother would come upstairs an hour later to find me sat in the middle of the floor engrossed in a book. My absolute fave from being quite little was The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton, and I must have read pretty much every one of her books over the years and even bought a copy of it for old times sake last year sometime.  I also loved Roald Dahl.  My fave book ever remains Little Women by L.M. Alcott.

Howay then - chip in :blush:

3466[/snapback]

Oh i adored that book. I was a book-worm too, still am really. I grew up reading all Enid Blyton books, loved the famous five, (way better than secret seven)! I can remember getting my pocket money on a saturday, going into town and buying either a Mallory Towers or St Clares book :blush::razz:

One book really sticks in my mind, 'mystery of the burnt cottage' or something like that, i think that was Enid Blyton too. I also bought a famous five book for sentimental reasons the other day :angry: It contains four stories and as soon as i got it home, my sister nicked it and i havent had it back yet!!

I loved pippi longstocking and paddington bear books.

Later on i read Roald Dahl books and fell in love with The Hobbit, where my love for all Tolkien's work began.

Also loved Little Woman, the brontes books and Jane Austen, i've lost count how many times ive read Pride and Prejudice and sense and sensibility.

Absolutely anything by Roald Dahl, yeah... I started getting into Douglas Adams and stuff like that when I was very young, too, so I always associate it with my childhood even though I'm still a big fan of it now.

I loved the first three "Fudge" books and "Then Again Maybe I won't.." both by Judy Blume.

There were another set of books I liked, they were by Paula Dazinger and the main character was called Matthew Martin.

I used to like the Knightmare books, which were kinda geeky.

I can remember getting my pocket money on a saturday, going into town and buying either a Mallory Towers or St Clares book

Yep, I did that too :razz: I must have read all of the Sweet Valley High and Sweet Dreams books in my early teens too. I used to go to the library about twice a week to see if any more had been returned. :angry:

Anyway, the bookshelf so far, and the cupboard next to it is filled with nursey/medical books too...

12828206gq.jpg

First books that jumped into my mind when I read the start of your thread Cath were:

The Enchanted Wood

The Magic Faraway Tree

The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Also loved any Roald Dahl books, particularly:

Danny The Champion Of The World

George's Marvellous Medicine

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

Jimbo, why the fuck doesn't the Grattan catalogue suprise me? Bet your missus still has to get that despite the fact she never orders anything? :razz:

Thats a nice photo catmag, i spot a tatty teddy on there, i love those :angry:

Now, i cant get a book out of my head, family at Red Roofs or something?? was that Enid Blyton too?

My god, just how many books did that woman write? :razz:

Jimbo, why the fuck doesn't the Grattan catalogue suprise me? Bet your missus still has to get that despite the fact she never orders anything? :razz:

3485[/snapback]

and Next and Littlewoods and Kays, and Screw fix direct.

Thats a nice photo catmag, i spot a tatty teddy on there, i love those  :blush:

Now, i cant get a book out of my head, family at Red Roofs or something?? was that Enid Blyton too?

My god, just how many books did that woman write?  :razz:

3488[/snapback]

Twas her B)

I've just remembered Mr Galliano's Circus aswell :blush:

Quickly Googled and she apparently wrote over 700 books. :angry:

Did anyone have those Ladybird hardback books when they were very little. Stuff like Cinderella, The Elves and the Shoemaker, Smoke and Fluff, The Billy Goats Gruff etc......?

Thats a nice photo catmag, i spot a tatty teddy on there, i love those  :blush:

My god, just how many books did that woman write?  :razz:

3488[/snapback]

Twas her :(

I've just remembered Mr Galliano's Circus aswell B)

Quickly Googled and she apparently wrote over 700 books. :angry:

3498[/snapback]

blimey :blush:

Did anyone have those Ladybird hardback books when they were very little.  Stuff like Cinderella, The Elves and the Shoemaker, Smoke and Fluff, The Billy Goats Gruff etc......?

3503[/snapback]

Who didn't....! :razz:

First books that jumped into my mind when I read the start of your thread Cath were:

The Enchanted Wood

The Magic Faraway Tree

Jimbo, why the fuck doesn't the Grattan catalogue suprise me? Bet your missus still has to get that despite the fact she never orders anything? :angry:

3485[/snapback]

:razz: We actually are the same person.

Remember Moonface? :blush:

Topical Times Football Annual & Charlie Buchans Football Monthly Annual.

I had an Auntie used to buy me both for Christmas and I couldn't wait to unwrap them. I still have em all stuck in the loft, probably worth a few quid now.

Oh, and Parade :razz:

The Enchanted Wood

The Magic Faraway Tree

Jimbo, why the fuck doesn't the Grattan catalogue suprise me? Bet your missus still has to get that despite the fact she never orders anything? :blush:

3485[/snapback]

:angry: We actually are the same person.

Remember Moonface? :blush:

3526[/snapback]

Aye, and:

The Angry Pixie

Dame Washalot

Saucepan

Whatziname

What was the fucking fairy called?

And was I the only one who used to chuckle that the called one of the kids 'Fanny' :razz: