£10m bid for Bafetimbi Gomis?

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United have slapped in a £10m bid for St Etienne striker Bafetimbi Gomis – despite the French ace signing a new contract just last week.

The Magpies have made their move after fearing the price for the 22-year-old could rocket up if he shines at Euro 2008.

However, the bid is likely to lie on the table until Gomis returns from Switzerland and Austria.

And, ominously for United, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is now showing a keen interest in the striker amid fears that leading scorer Emmanuel Adebayor may quit The Emirates Stadium.

The Gazette revealed on March 8 that Gomis had emerged as a top United target after director of football Dennis Wise, vice president Tony Jimenez and technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere twice travelled to France to run the rule over him.

Kevin Keegan himself has also seen the player in action, and was obviously impressed enough to make a move for him.

It's not the first time United have made a move for a French striker before a big competition, with Kenny Dalglish gambling £3.5m on Auxerre striker Stephane Guivarc'h prior to the 1998 World Cup.

But despite France lifting the trophy, Guivarc'h was probably their weakest link, and Dalglish's successor Ruud Gullit was quick to sell him to Rangers at a loss after just four appearances in a black and white strip.

Gomis may have to settle for a place on the bench tonight when France get their Euro 2008 campaign off against Romania in Zurich tonight.

Having been a surprise addition to the French squad ahead of the experienced David Trezeguet after he scored twice on his full international debut against Ecuador last month, Gomis is still way down the pecking order for Les Blues.

Thierry Henry, Nicolas Anelka and young Lyon hotshot Karim Benzema are ahead of him in the queue for a striking spot, and he may find his opportunities limited.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Magpies have made their move after fearing the price for the 22-year-old could rocket up if he shines at Euro 2008.

No shit !

Where's this article from?

Admittedly only seen him in highlight shows and such, but he does look like the type of player we should be after to play up front alongside Martins and Owen. Be exciting if we could get him signed.

I thought the asking price was much higher than £10m though, looks like our plan is to low-ball the piss out of everyone (like we seem to have done with Turan) until someone accepts?

No shit !

Yet in the same article it says that he is unlikely to get any playing time. :icon_lol:

If thats true I expect to see the back of Owen or Martins

Surely he'll be bought to play the Viduka role though?

Unless we plan to change to a straight 4-4-2 again for next year, which would be disappointing quite frankly. Aside from the fact that our wingers aren't up to much at all, I just think the system is limited in today's game.

Seriously, how shit is the journalism from the Chronicle and its sister papers? The same story, nearly word for word, just with some extra waffle about Guifarce gets also printed under Comical Alan's name.

NEWCASTLE United have slapped in a £10m bid for St Etienne’s 22-year-old striker Bafetimbi Gomis. And the bid, revealed by a source within St James’s Park, will lie on the table while Gomis is in Switzerland and Austria with the French squad for the European Championships.

But ominously for United Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is now showing a keen interest in Gomis, with worries at The Emirates Stadium that leading scorer Emmanuel Adebayor will join Mathieu Flamini by walking out of the door.

Gomis recently signed an extension to his contract with St Etienne but is still widely expected to leave after Euro 2008, having expressed a preference for a move to Serie A.

The Chronicle revealed on March 8 that Gomis had emerged as a top United target after director of football Dennis Wise, vice-president Tony Jimenez and technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere had twice travelled to France to run the rule over him.

Since then, manager Kevin Keegan and his right hand man Terry McDermott have also had a look at the striker who was born in France of Senegalese descent.

Gomis was a surprise addition to the French squad for the Euro finals ahead of the experienced David Trezeguet, and he scored twice on his full international debut in a warm-up match with Ecuador at the end of last month.

United fans will be hoping to have a look at him on TV tonight when France open their campaign against Romania in Zurich.

But with Nicolas Anelka talking about forming a new strike partnership for France with Thierry Henry, the best Gomis seems to be able to hope for is a place on the bench.

It’s not the first time United have made a move for a French striker before a big competition.

For just before the 1998 World Cup finals in France, Kenny Dalglish took a gamble by splashing out £3.5m for Auxerre striker Stephane Guivarc’h.

The United boss expected Guivarc’h’s value to soar, with France favourites to lift the trophy in their own country.

They duly obliged, but Guivarc’h was probably their weakest link and Dalglish’s successor Ruud Gullit was quick to sell him to Rangers at a loss to United.

A good percentage of Premier League managers will be watching games in Austria and Switzerland in the next couple of weeks – but Keegan will not be one of them.

But United will still be well represented to watch the best players in Europe do their stuff.

Edited by Isegrim

he's like a stronger martins imo , got that control that can drive you mad , looks amazing or shocking depending on the colour of his socks .

nice to see we are making moves .

reports in holland were after van der vaart , think id cream if we pulled that one off .

reports in holland were after van der vaart , think id cream if we pulled that one off .

Would be an excellent signing, but I can't see it happening. Said in an interview today that he is interested in a move, but only to a European top club.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/em20...-der-vaart.html

(last sentence.)

yup, cant see it happening , but how many top clubs are going to have cash and space left for all these major players moving on this summer , dont think we have had a summer like it where as many big players look tobe changing clubs , hopefully the likes of VdV and diego dont have as many options by the time the big clubs are done .

may aswell stick a bid in for kompany from mighty mouses old club aswell i reckon ! and hope they still have pics of kev up around the stadium :icon_lol:

No shit !

Surely the newly signed contact will do likewise...? :icon_lol:

Sounding similar to the "we're watching Dirk Kuyt.... what do you mean he's signed for Liverpool?" episode... :P

Would be an excellent signing, but I can't see it happening. Said in an interview today that he is interested in a move, but only to a European top club.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/em20...-der-vaart.html

(last sentence.)

is there anyway it can be translated to english?

Ok, just the important part.

SPOX: After you were flirting with a move in the past, you can now put yourself in the shop window and show you ability at the European Championship.

Van der Vaart: Absolutly. The Euro is my chance, although I like to point out that I have been playing on a high level for a couple of years now. Now everybody knows what I can do and what I can't. But such a tournament is important. When I see that nearly all of my team mates at the national team are playing for European top clubs then I'd like to do the next step as well.

SPOX: What country do you prefer.

Van der Vaart: Although I have said that I fancy Spain, but I don't want to rule something out. It should only be a top club, and I must have a good feeling when I sign.

Ok, just the important part.

SPOX: After you were flirting with a move in the past, you can now put yourself in the shop window and show you ability at the European Championship.

Van der Vaart: Absolutly. The Euro is my chance, although I like to point out that I have been playing on a high level for a couple of years now. Now everybody knows what I can do and what I can't. But such a tournament is important. When I see that nearly all of my team mates at the national team are playing for European top clubs then I'd like to do the next step as well.

SPOX: What country do you prefer.

Van der Vaart: Although I have said that I fancy Spain, but I don't want to rule something out. It should only be a top club, and I must have a good feeling when I sign.

Oh rite thanks mate, so no chance really

did nowt, can't judge him though, entire French team were gash. Awful tactics, awful spirit, awful attitude.

Jesus france were bad.

Why isn't Diarra playing if Vieira's injured? at least he can pass the ball forward and make something happen, a bit of urgency, 2 DMCs vs romania?! wtf

Nasri should have started instead of Malouda and done a pires from the left. oh well, hope the next game is better.

Gomis was average when he came on, caught in possession once and he should have been pressing far more with fresh legs, lazy bastard. Would like to have seen him start with Benzema but oh well.

The dutch and italian's must be licking their lips after that display from the french. even our midfield trio had more creativity than france. as some have said, a bit unfair to judge gomis when the service to the striker's was horrendous today. zidane could still get into this team!