£10m bid for Bafetimbi Gomis?

Scottish Mag

The Times

Window watch: Newcastle chase £10m forward Bafétimbi Gomis

James Ducker, George Caulkin

Decent bets

Newcastle United have stepped up their pursuit of Bafétimbi Gomis by lodging a £10 million offer for the St-Etienne and France forward, who is also interesting Arsenal and Bolton Wanderers.

Gomis signed a new four-year contract with the French club only last week, stating that his “priority was always to remain at St-Etienne”, but Newcastle’s offer will remain on the table throughout the course of the European Championship finals this month.

The 22-year-old has been likened to a younger Didier Drogba and was a surprise inclusion in France squad for Euro 2008, ahead of Djibril Cissé and David Trezeguet, the respective Marseilles and Juventus strikers.

Gomis has been a long-term target for Newcastle and has been watched by Kevin Keegan, although Arsenal could yet scupper any hopes that the Tyneside club have of signing him.

Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, is an admirer of the player and could make a move if Emmanuel Adebayor leaves the Emirates Stadium this summer.

Bolton have also checked on Gomis but are reluctant to get dragged into a bidding war.

Ipswich Town have agreed a £3.5 million fee with Newcastle for Shola Ameobi but may face competition from Norwich City for the forward, who recently rejected an opportunity to join Stoke City.

Newcastle, however, are driving a harder bargain for James Milner. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, rates the winger highly, but is reluctant to meet Newcastle’s £7 million-plus valuation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh I'd rather we signed a player based on having him scouted before a major international tournament than how he played in it. They are a terrible gauge of a player. Kazim Richards looked class the other night for Turkey and he was wank in the premiership and emember even Gary Breen looked like a top player one year and he was shite even by makem standards.

Looks like Adebayor is off to Milan.

Obafemi to Arsenal then?

Not good enough for Arsenal.

"cuntwatch"

Two posts now in quick succession.

Banter: minimal

Crack: n/a

Please try harder. :)

Obafemi to Arsenal then?

"cuntwatch"

I really don`t think he is. Watched him closely last season and thought he wasn`t bad, but nothing special.

I really don`t think he is. Watched him closely last season and thought he wasn`t bad, but nothing special.

Obsessed with us, tbs tbs

Wouldn`t go that far tbh. :)

Mildly obsessed tbh <_<

Mildly obsessed tbh <_<

Fun obsessed would even be stretching it tbh :wub:

Mildly obsessed tbh <_<

For someone also obsessed with punctuation (see other thread), didn't do so well there did ya?

Mildly obsessed tbh <_<

For someone also obsessed with punctuation (see other thread), didn't do so well there did ya?

I`m not obsessed with punctuation. Btw, 'ya' is incorrect.

Its slang. But in the other thread and I quote:

Perhaps, but I can punctuate my sentences.

That makes you a stupid tit.

Ok then, so does that just make you a stupid tit?

No.

No.

:)

Obafemi to Arsenal then?

"cuntwatch"

Made Reina look a bit of a tit the season before last though didn't he?

Also that ball he hit against the crossbar at Anfield in March was phenominal. Should have been there Torres, it was something to see <_<

Torres, who do you rate out of our player's? I think Oba would do well at arsenal, only him and rosicky would be willing to shoot from outside the area, something that i know every arsenal fan i've spoken to frustrates them deeply.

Obafemi to Arsenal then?

"cuntwatch"

Please try harder. :lol:

Made Reina look a bit of a tit the season before last though didn't he?

Also that ball he hit against the crossbar at Anfield in March was phenominal. Should have been there Torres, it was something to see ;)

torres is actually right for once. martins isnt good enough for arsenal and i dont know how any of you idiots think he is