Alex - do you have to pay if you type more than a dozen words ? :huh:

42627[/snapback]

Yes :lol:

42720[/snapback]

I wish Leazes Mag was limited by such considerations aswell the fucking

42932[/snapback]

yes ?

If you don't to read them, don't.

Shame, but I don't recall reading any of your posts .......

42941[/snapback]

He's just on the wind up man, take no notice.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has took an unusual turn.

42114[/snapback]

Alex - do you have to pay if you type more than a dozen words ? :D

42627[/snapback]

Yes :lol:

42720[/snapback]

I wish Leazes Mag was limited by such considerations aswell the fucking

42932[/snapback]

yes ?

If you don't to read them, don't.

Shame, but I don't recall reading any of your posts .......

42941[/snapback]

:nufc:

(A skit on the '12 word' gag earlier. Count my words) :huh:

Just a joke marra! Nee offence.

;)

(A skit on the '12 word' gag earlier. Count my words)  ;)

42950[/snapback]

whoossh yerself.....whats the 12 word gag all about anyway ?

;)

(A skit on the '12 word' gag earlier. Count my words)  ;)

42950[/snapback]

whoossh yerself.....whats the 12 word gag all about anyway ?

43101[/snapback]

What Phil K said mate, a few posts back (to Alex).

Aye, guilty of losing the plot but nowt else really. Although Brian Johnson tells a good story about how Jackie Milburn asked him to meet the board as they were interested in him investing in the club. He said the board, especially McKeag (who I don't think was chairman at the time) were aloof and totally out of touch and he told them to stuff their money.

We were on a Highway to Hell at that point.

41362[/snapback]

I think Brian Johnson said he was basically offered the world's most expensive season ticket.

41364[/snapback]

It was Bon Scott not Brian Johnson who sang Highway to Hell. ;);)

If I could chip into the "Daily Mail" debate.....

I think the problem stems from consumerism.

That too has grown over the past few decades and it places huge importance on possessions as barometer of status.

The fact that "celebrities" are placed in high esteem when they often have no discernable talent is because they can buy the stuff that many people aspire to own.

It takes quite a bit to lose that mentality, even among some very sound people that I know. There seems to be a "shame" in having a too small a house or too old a car that is so subtley ingrained that we don't notice it.

No kid at school wants to have the naff football boots and although I'm sure the problem has always been there, I think it's far worse and goes beyond school age nowadays.

If you ever watch ITV on a saturday night, you will see hours of programs where people win money and consumer goods. The ad breaks reinforce the message. I know I'll probably get accused of being a yoghurt knitter, but it's not the case.

I see nothing wrong in having nice stuff, but it's the rate of turnover in replacing it all that seems so excessive.

Consumerism today is on crack, it needs to ease back a bit, back to say booze.

"f you ever watch ITV on a saturday night, you will see hours of programs where people win money and consumer goods."

As opposed to eh 50's and 60's???

Hughie Green, Michael miles, Bruce forsyth ........ all made their names on "quiz" sshows that dolloped out loads of consumer goods......................

"Have they been tried ?

Much as I hate the Daily Mail, this mentality doesn't wash. We have been dealing with the shit-brained turds that vandalise and act aggressively to anyone who even looks at them and most often you don't even need to do THAT - even knives are common now. These creatures have been dealt with in the politically correct manner by people who sneer at the "Daily Mail type solutions" for the past TWENTY YEARS, and the situation is FAR FAR FAR worse that it was when I was a kid in the seventies, BECAUSE of that PC viewpoint being allowed to dominate - if it worked we'd be seeing evidence by now - all we are seeing as how much worse it is and getting worse daily. Maybe actually giving the "Daily Mail type solutions" a try might work - but it would mean the end of cushy little numbers for the PC brigade (parasites each and every one). The incompetents responsible for the "My rights - I can do anything I want and you can't touch me" mentality amongst the kids.

I wasn't aware you were one of those PC types, Rob"

I think I posted a couple of months ago a rough calculation of how many prisons we'd have to build and how much it would cost to "bang them all up" - it wasn't pretty - and who is goingto pay for it?

Also you have to ask yourselves why the british send more people to prison for longer than anywhere esle in Yurop but we have a higher crime

rate

Then there are definitions - lets start by sending anyone d-i-c of a motor down for 30 days - no option - and having road blocks where they breathalise you even in the morning rush hour (as in Norway). ....................... - how many mates would YOU have left???

How long before we hear the cry from the Daily Wail about " Police State"? As soon as their editor gets caught would be my guess

Edited by Rob W

"f you ever watch ITV on a saturday night, you will see hours of programs where people win money and consumer goods."

As opposed to eh 50's and 60's???

Hughie Green, Michael miles, Bruce forsyth ........ all made their names on "quiz" sshows that dolloped out loads of consumer goods......................

43497[/snapback]

So consumerism is at the same level as in the 50s and 60s?

The levels of prizes haven't changed at all?

It's my opinion that consumerism is the one piece of the jigsaw that too often gets overlooked in this debate.

When Rob was talking about automatic washing machines were completely luxury items. Even in the 80s if you see the repeats of Bullseye you'll see audience "Oohs" at hostess trollies and food processors so I think he has a point.

Having said that I can see where you're coming from as well - Thatcher taught people to want material goods above all else as you did mention.

When Rob was talking about automatic washing machines were completely luxury items. Even in the 80s if you see the repeats of Bullseye you'll see audience "Oohs" at hostess trollies and food processors so I think he has a point.

Having said that I can see where you're coming from as well - Thatcher taught people to want material goods above all else as you did mention.

43540[/snapback]

I don't think that does prove Rob's point to be fair.

The fact is people had less in the 60s and 70s. It's escalating to the point now where kids EXPECT to have a phone and trainers and stuff which many families can't afford. The result? Kids getting mugged for their phones on a daily basis.

Why do these kids want phones?

Because David Beckham et al are in their faces 24 hours a day looking cool with their new mobiles.

I'm not naieve enough to think that anything is likely to change in the near future, but I'm pretty certain that if you create demand for something, then you have to face the fact that many who can't afford it, will find other ways of getting it.

Not in the least surprised by Robs response to be honest.

Compare his venom towards McKeag with the lacklustre attitude towards things which don't directly impact him....

i'm all right Jack

I agree totally with PhilK's post BTW, the PC correct, softly softly try to understand them has failed completely.

So lets go for the "Daily Mail" whip their arses off and teach them a lesson ...

Question for Rob and the other appeasers. If you were out of order, what would make you change your ways, love understanding and a free holiday to make you appreciate the civilised way of doing things, or a good swift hard kick in the knackers.

Compare his venom towards McKeag with the lacklustre attitude towards things which don't directly impact him....

i'm all right Jack

I agree totally with PhilK's post BTW, the PC correct, softly softly try to understand them has failed completely.

So lets go for the "Daily Mail" whip their arses off and teach them a lesson ...

Question for Rob and the other appeasers. If you were out of order, what would make you change your ways, love understanding and a free holiday to make you appreciate the civilised way of doing things, or a good swift hard kick in the knackers.

43599[/snapback]

"Lacklustre attitude" - Aaaah I see - it means I'm not in favour of hanging children for stealing, whipping people through the streets, hanging in public, islamic punishments and all other things that have been tried and don't work

Unfortunately (as seen at the Labour Party Conference) laws don't necessarily just get the people YOU want to hit but a lot of others as well..................

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent .... Leazes......

i'm all right Jack

43599[/snapback]

"Lacklustre attitude" - Aaaah I see - it means I'm not in favour of hanging children for stealing, whipping people through the streets, hanging in public, islamic punishments and all other things that have been tried and don't work

Unfortunately (as seen at the Labour Party Conference) laws don't necessarily just get the people YOU want to hit but a lot of others as well..................

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent .... Leazes......

43609[/snapback]

A last resort but effective I suspect for those who have been given every opportunity to show respect for others in accordance with the pc correct brigades

bleatings

A last resort but effective I suspect for those who have been given every opportunity to show respect for others in accordance with the pc correct brigades

bleatings

43615[/snapback]

Some sort of IT Standards Bureau?

This may not sit easily with the "nail'em uppers" but I'm sure that studies of "unconventional" punishments like the classic mechanics courses for joyriders etc actually caused less re-offenders.

Maybe the problem is the the Daily Mail solution has been used too much and the PC one not enough.

This may not sit easily with the "nail'em uppers" but I'm sure that studies of "unconventional" punishments like the classic mechanics courses for joyriders etc actually caused less re-offenders.

Maybe the problem is the the Daily Mail solution has been used too much and the PC one not enough.

43660[/snapback]

The major problem is that when we see the crime alot of us react angrily and want revenge. The law should not be about revenge, it should prioritise prevention and then cure. I think too many Daily Mail readers would be more appalled at the thought of those young offenders benefitting from their crime than they would be concerned about the crime itself.

43660[/snapback]

The major problem is that when we see the crime alot of us react angrily and want revenge. The law should not be about revenge, it should prioritise prevention and then cure. I think too many Daily Mail readers would be more appalled at the thought of those young offenders benefitting from their crime than they would be concerned about the crime itself.

43673[/snapback]

If the result of a crime is that a waste of space has their life sorted out to the point where they aren't a waste anymore, which lets face it kneejerk punishments short of death won't do, then to me the crime is lessened.

I am a good old fashioned bleeding heart namby pamby lily livered liberal, but I have never understood how treating people badly is meant to make them behave better. I can understand why people people get swept away with Daily Mail bloodlust, but personally I just dont think it does any good.

43696[/snapback]

Sensible post alert!

i'm all right Jack

43599[/snapback]

totally agree, im pretty left wing on most things but when it comes to crime and punishment zero tolerance is the way to go. just look at NYC over the last ten years as a proven example. look at sunderland to see exactly where the softly softly approach has gone wrong.