Newcastle set to win race for Spear

Scottish Mag

Argyle's centre of excellence striker Aaron Spear could be set to sign for Premier League club Newcastle United.

The talented teenager is thought to have travelled to Tyneside last week for talks with Newcastle officials.

One other unnamed Premier League club have also expressed their interest in Spear, who played for the Devon Schools' under-15s last season.

Should Spear be lured away from Argyle, they would be entitled to compensation.

That would either be by agreeing a fee with the club concerned, or through an independent tribunal.

Argyle chief executive Michael Dunford told Herald Sport: "Newcastle, and one other Premier League club, have expressed an interest in Aaron Spear.

"He has been given permission to speak to them.

"We would like to keep him but the lad appears adamant that he wants to talk to the Premier League clubs, which I can understand."

Dunford added: "We are waiting to hear from Newcastle whether they have decided to sign him."

Spear was set to play for Argyle's reserves in an away game against Forest Green Rovers in April.

But, shortly before the game, it was realised he was not old enough to play in the Pontin's Holidays Combination match.

Spear, who was born in Plymouth and is a student at Coombe Dean School in Plymstock, spent two days training with Scotland's under-15 squad in March.

He is eligible because he has a Scottish grandmother.

Newcastle snapped up one former Argyle centre of excellence player earlier this year.

Plymouth-born defender Ben Tozer put pen to paper on a four-and-a-half year contract with the Magpies when he moved from League One club Swindon Town in January

His transfer fee could rise to up to £1 million.

Tozer, 18, had only been at Swindon since the previous summer after not being offered a professional contract by Argyle at the end of the 2006/07 season.

The defender has not played for Newcastle at first team level yet, but was on the substitutes' bench for their season-ending 3-1 defeat at Everton on May 11.

Should Spear sign for Newcastle or the other interested Premier League club, regulations would not allow him to play for them until January 1, 2009.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how fast will this story dissa spear?

Spear chucker mother fucker

Spear me the truth

I can't believe it's not javelin

christ my job is boring the spears out of me.

SPEAR HUNTED

Posted on: Mon 09 Jun 2008

ARGYLE youngster Aaron Spear is in talks with two Premiership clubs.

The talented Plymouth teenager, who is on schoolboy forms with the Pilgrims, has been the subject of recent attention from Newcastle United, as well as another, unnamed, top-flight team.

If Spear, 15, decides to join one of the clubs, Argyle will be entitled to payment when they take over his registration.

Argyle chief executive Michael Dunford said: "We don't want Aaron to leave us, but he is determined to speak to these Premiership teams.

"We have, therefore, reluctantly, given him permission to talk to them."

Spear recently returned from a visit with a joint Under-15 and Under-14 Argyle team that played against the Latvian and Belarus international teams in Riga.

He scored one of the Pilgrims' two goals on the trip, in 3-2 defat by Belarus, after Argyle had been beaten 3-0 by Latvia in the opener.

Other team is meant to be Arsenal but I think those stories are based on the fact they tried to sign him in January.

So Arsenal scour the world, and we look at Scotland. :hump:

Plymouth is in Scotland? :icon_lol:

Only when I don't read the thread properly. :P

Well there is there is a first time for everything :P

So Arsenal scour the world, and we look at Scotland. :hump:

Plymouth is in Scotland? :icon_lol:

Only when I don't read the thread properly. :P

Well there is there is a first time for everything :P

True. :hump:

Hope he's not one of these young signings who looks promising but then disaspears completely off the scene in a few years.

Spear today, gone tomorrow?