Mini-tornado brings chaos to city - Beeb

Hughesie

More than 50 ambulances are at the scene of a mini-tornado in Birmingham that left at least 12 people injured.

The sudden storm damaged buildings, uprooted trees and trapped people in their homes. The Met Office estimates the wind speed may have reached 130mph.

One man is believed to have been badly injured during the storm. Casualties were later taken to hospital.

One sq km of damage was caused in Kings Heath, with "hundreds" of properties affected, council officials said.

The Met Office explained tornadoes were especially rare in built-up areas and that this was the worst seen for years.

Caroline Ward, from the Jon Carrie Nursery in Moseley, said the tornado ripped out fences and toys were whipped into the air.

"Luckily we got the children all inside but they were very frightened," she told BBC News.

Julia Banner, who works in a care home in Moseley, said: "All of a sudden it got dark, the front door blew open and all the notices blew off the notice board.

"The kitchen window was open and all the crockery smashed to the floor.

"It all happened in just a couple of minutes. There is a tree through a car and trees on houses - it looks like something from a film set."

A Met Office spokesperson said: "From the reports we have heard we would estimate that this is a tornado with a rating of T3-T4, that would mean it had wind speeds of between 93-114 mph for T3 and 114-130 for T4.

"A typical description would be that motorcars were lifted and destroyed, roofs removed from buildings and weak buildings destroyed.

"We have an average of 33 reports of tornadoes in the UK each year but these are especially rare in built-up areas and there has not been one of this strength in many years.

"City centres are not the natural habitat of a tornado; the tall buildings would normally stop their formation."

You can send any footage or pictures you may have to 07921 648 159 or to yourpics@bbc.co.uk

Source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4725279.stm

had one in my street in CLS last year. woke up at 6.30am with the house shaking and looked outside and it just looked like really nasty storm. got up went outside and half of the tiles were gone off our roof. was in the local paper and everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the comment was meant for hughesie. :angry:

3933[/snapback]

I'm baffled...................... :icon_lol::P:blush::rolleyes:<_<

anyway I don't approve of hunting dumb animals