Tuesday's Gossip

ohhh_yeah

Cristiano Ronaldo is ready to say he is leaving Manchester United after Euro 2008, according to "a close friend". (Daily Mirror)

Manchester City are negotiating with Ronaldinho's sponsors, Nike, over signing the Brazilian. (Daily Express)

Frank Lampard is at the centre of a "tug-of-war" between former manager Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan and incoming Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari. (The Sun)

Liverpool's John Arne Riise is expected to complete a £5m move to Roma this week. (Daily Mail)

Sunderland are ready to smash their transfer record with a £10m swoop for Celtic's Aiden McGeady. (The Sun)

Wigan are close to signing Croatia striker Ivan Klasnic on a free transfer from Werder Bremen. (Daily Mirror)

Aston Villa have made the first move to sign Blackburn's want-away midfielder David Bentley. (Daily Express)

Tottenham are hoping to offload right-back Pascal Chimbonda to Aston Villa and defender Younes Kaboul to Portsmouth. (Daily Mirror)

Hull are planning to hijack centre-back Anthony Gardner's move from Tottenham to Stoke. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal want Spain and Valencia's Raul Albiol, who can play at centre-back or in defensive midfield. (Daily Express)

Aston Villa are set to buy misfit Chelsea midfielder Steve Sidwell for £5m. (Daily Mail)

Oliver Kapo could be on his way out of Birmingham City, with Wigan and Newcastle both interested in signing the midfielder. (The Times)

Manchester City's Swedish goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson is wanted by Spanish side Atletico Madrid. (Daily Mirror)

Portsmouth will make an opening bid of £10m for Liverpool striker Peter Crouch this week. (The Independent)

Middlesbrough and Newcastle want to sign Fulham striker Steven Davis, who would prefer to make his loan period at Rangers permanent. (The Times)

Sunderland are monitoring striker Carlton Cole's position at Premier League rivals West Ham. (The Times)

Newcastle have told Liverpool and Aston Villa they want £9m for winger James Milner. (Daily Mirror)

West Brom will bid £4m for Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi after his talks with Stoke stalled. (Daily Mirror)

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson is furious with Manchester United's fixture list for 2008/09 as his side face away trips after all six Champions League group games. (The Sun)

Uefa will have to spend £157,000 to replace the turf at St Jakob-Park in Basle following last Wednesday's torrential downpour during the Switzerland-Turkey match. (Daily Star)

Whats the rumour about Milner coming to Liverpool

Liverpool close in on James Milner signing

By Telegraph staff

Last Updated: 10:23am BST 17/06/2008

James Milner's switch to Liverpool has moved a step closer with Newcastle interested in a player-plus-cash deal for the England Under-21 midfielder.

Newcastle are reluctant to sell the 22-year-old this summer but are keen on an exchange deal worth £7m plus Danny Guthrie.

Guthrie, who spent last season on loan at Bolton, is thought to have confided in friends that he expects to join Newcastle which has increased speculation that Milner is Anfield bound.

Even though Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan has been away on holiday, assistant coach Terry McDermott has said the former England coach has been working hard to bring new additions to St James' Park this summer.

Keegan will return from the United States this week where he is expected to step up his search ahead of their season opener against Manchester United on Aug 16.

"Even though Kevin's been away, make no mistake, he's been on his phone trying his best to bring new players to this club," McDermott said.

"Now we’ll be coming back in this week and we're looking forward to the start of pre-season. Both myself and Kevin are great believers in a hard pre-season so that the lads are flying when it all kicks off."

While Milner's proposed move to Liverpool gathers pace, John Arne Riise is edging closer to a move to Roma.

Liverpool coach Rafa Benitez has said the club would not prevent Riise departing for the right price. It is thought a £5m deal between the two clubs will be reached by the end of the week.

Earlier this month, Roma coach Luciano Spalletti said Riise has the qualities the Italian club are looking for and the defender has now stressed his desire to undertake the new challenge in Serie A.

"That was nice what was said by the coach (Spalletti), but this is only something I have heard from media reports.

"I have only one year of my contract left, so the price is lower than a year ago – 50 million Norwegian Kroner (approximately £5million) seems a little high for me.

"I need to play and need to be in a team where I can become better, because I know I can become better.

"When you change club, you get a kick-start and a set of new challenges."