Expectations For Next Season?

David Kelly

I know this is very early since we've not signed anyone yet and preseason is still a while off, but that's sort of the reason I want to do this now.

Personally I'm very nervous about the way the club is heading at the moment and more and more I think Ashley has either settled for mid table mediocrity or is deluded about what it take to move this club to a position where we can compete for a place in Europe and above.

The cost cutting while being prudent in this age of wages spiralling out of control, seems to be going through in a way that seems can only have the result in pissing off some of our players looking for new deals and puuting off potential signings. Altough the names that are being put forward as potenial signings would probably be pretty happy with the lower wages that we seem to want to offer since they are so mediocre (Gardener, Larsson, Guthery, Kapo, Dawson etc) that we probably can match their other options of relegation fodder or championship teams. I know we all (well apart from Leazes) wanted a change from the fat man's policy of big money high profile signings that didn't live up to their billing but the bargain basement route we seem to be wanting to follow can be no better.

I realise that I haven't got any proof of this at all and in fact the only bit of incomming transfer business that has been confirmed by anyone at the club was the attempt to sign modric (a move that in terms of ambition and available funds seemed to show quite the opposite of much of what I am saying here) but I just have a feeling that with all of the story's coming out about clashe's between Keegan and the board, wage slashing and looking at crap players that there is as many problems with our current owner as there was with the last and at the moment I'm looking forward to next season no more than I was before Roeder was sacked at the end of the season before last. The optimism that Keegans arival brought me has all but evaporated and I'm now getting seriously concerned that not only have we fell from where we we under Robson (ie in or at least challenging the top four) but also falling well back from the likes of Cinteh, Spurs, Villa, Everton, Portsmouth and Blackburn (although their choice of manage will determine this) so that we will be competing with the likes of the smoggies and the makems next year either just above of even in the relegation battle rather than progressing.

Am I being overly pessimistic or do others share my lack of faith in our new regime?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An average season finishing 7th-10th with no realistic push for Europe.

Exciting times indeed.

I would be reasonably pleased with that but with our current squad and the players we're being linked with I think that's unlikely. I fear a far worse league position with the money other clubs seem to be looking to spend.

I reckon Keegan can work on a decent budget but Ashley can't expect much from a modest one.

Keegan was always at his best as a spender...

We could have had Modric btw but Ashley wouldn't pay the money. That's why KK was furious. Apparently.

Well that seems like a clear indication of what level Ashley seems to be aiming at then. Makes you wonder what his aspirations for the club actually are.

We could have had Modric btw but Ashley wouldn't pay the money. That's why KK was furious. Apparently.

More reasons to be worried if true. I really can't figure Ashely out. He spends all this money on buying us and getting rid of the debt but then doesn't seem to want to spend on the team and move to team on. I can't work out what he wants to get out of it all.

More reasons to be worried if true. I really can't figure Ashely out. He spends all this money on buying us and getting rid of the debt but then doesn't seem to want to spend on the team and move to team on. I can't work out what he wants to get out of it all.

As much as I don't want to believe it it does point towards one thing...

Well that seems like a clear indication of what level Ashley seems to be aiming at then. Makes you wonder what his aspirations for the club actually are.

Aye, Makes you wonder why the fuck he bought the club in the first place. Hopefully it's just because he thought that particular player was over-priced and it isn't a wider indication of what's to come.

The fee or the wages? Wonder what Mort was on about like.

The fee, I think.

Aye, Makes you wonder why the fuck he bought the club in the first place. Hopefully it's just because he thought that particular player was over-priced and it isn't a wider indication of what's to come.

Well if he did think he was overpriced then you have to wonder was it actually his opinion or is he taking advice from others in/outside the club. When it comes to first team purchases then Keegan should be the one deciding how that budget is spent.

Well if he did think he was overpriced then you have to wonder was it actually his opinion or is he taking advice from others in/outside the club. When it comes to first team purchases then Keegan should be the one deciding how that budget is spent.

Aye, it should be.

The fee, I think.

Better that way around, I suppose. As others say though, if Keegan wanted him then should the owner be deciding on his value?

There have been a number of seemingly crackpot theories about the actual deal itself (different ways of paying the fee, ownership, selling-on rights etc), I actually wonder if those had anything to do with it.

The fee, I think.

Better that way around, I suppose. As others say though, if Keegan wanted him then should the owner be deciding on his value?

There have been a number of seemingly crackpot theories about the actual deal itself (different ways of paying the fee, ownership, selling-on rights etc), I actually wonder if those had anything to do with it.

I don't know the details but Keegan was very pissed off, it wasn't just the papers shit-stirring on this occasion. Modric was actually training up here.

Perhaps we were going on false promises about the deal and when Spurs came in Ashley got cold feet - maybe the price suddenly went up by an unacceptable amount.

I'd hope if Keegan was that pissed off and the club plan to keep him (happy), they'll be more inclined to back him next time. Lesson learnt, hopefully.