1st signing OFFICIAL!

Park Life

JONAS GUTIERREZ’S stunning start to life at Newcastle has earmarked him as Argentina’s brightest rising star.

Argentina coach Alfio Basile belatedly called Gutierrez, pictured, and United team-mate Fabricio Coloccini into his squad for next week’s World Cup qualifiers against Paraguay and Peru.

And Basile insists he had no choice but to pick a player whose right to play for his country is under legal threat from his former club Velez Sarsfield.

“I have called Gutierrez into the national team because he has begun the season in formidable form,” Basile told the Sunday Sun.

“There’s now no doubt that there should be a regular place for him in the squad.

We have lost Nicolas Burdisso to injury and Jonas is easily the best replacement.”

Basile added: “I am convinced Jonas will be a triumph at Newcastle. I have spoken to him and he is very excited about moving to the Premier League.

“I think that England is the best league for a player with his qualities.”

Velez still claim 50 per cent ownership of Gutierrez from when they sold him to Real Mallorca and have demanded he be banned from international action while they pursue him for compensation.

“There is controversy in FIFA, but Argentina needs Jonas,” insisted Basile. “I don’t get involved in problems between clubs and players.”

And on Coloccini, who has also settled quickly at St James’s Park, Basile said: “He is a sure thing for Argentina.

“He has improved a lot in the last few years, and moving to Newcastle is another jump in quality for the kid.

“I look forward to going to Newcastle this season to watch a match.”

I thought Burdisso was a Centre Half? :)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle have agreed a loan deal for Valencia's Uruguay international Ignacio Gonzalez, according to the Spanish club.

The midfielder only joined Los Che over the summer, but with Unai Emery's squad currently well stocked in that department he has been allowed to move on.

The South American is expected to sign a season-long deal on Tyneside, although he will not join up with his new team-mates until he returns from international duty.

Gonzalez is due to represent his country in 2010 World Cup qualifiers against Colombia and Ecuador on 6th and 10th September respectively.

Reports in Spain suggest the 26-year-old has already passed a medical at St James' Park, with the paperwork set to be pushed through before the transfer window closes on Monday.

"We have many players who can play in midfield and this is an excellent solution for both sides," Valencia vice-president Fernando Gomez told reporters after Saturday's game with Mallorca.

"We expect the formalities to be completed on Monday morning."

JONAS GUTIERREZ’S stunning start to life at Newcastle has earmarked him as Argentina’s brightest rising star.

Argentina coach Alfio Basile belatedly called Gutierrez, pictured, and United team-mate Fabricio Coloccini into his squad for next week’s World Cup qualifiers against Paraguay and Peru.

And Basile insists he had no choice but to pick a player whose right to play for his country is under legal threat from his former club Velez Sarsfield.

“I have called Gutierrez into the national team because he has begun the season in formidable form,” Basile told the Sunday Sun.

“There’s now no doubt that there should be a regular place for him in the squad.

“We have lost Nicolas Burdisso to injury and Jonas is easily the best replacement.”

Basile added: “I am convinced Jonas will be a triumph at Newcastle. I have spoken to him and he is very excited about moving to the Premier League.

“I think that England is the best league for a player with his qualities.”

Velez still claim 50 per cent ownership of Gutierrez from when they sold him to Real Mallorca and have demanded he be banned from international action while they pursue him for compensation.

“There is controversy in FIFA, but Argentina needs Jonas,” insisted Basile. “I don’t get involved in problems between clubs and players.”

And on Coloccini, who has also settled quickly at St James’s Park, Basile said: “He is a sure thing for Argentina.

“He has improved a lot in the last few years, and moving to Newcastle is another jump in quality for the kid.

“I look forward to going to Newcastle this season to watch a match.”

He's part owned by 50 cent? :)

skysports.

think they got it from the sunday sun who are saying.....

NEWCASTLE are hopeful of clinching a triple transfer swoop before tomorrow night’s deadline.

But are set to see Michael Owen snub their new contract offer and open up the prospect of a shock move elsewhere.

The Magpies have agreed to sign Uruguayan midfielder Ignacio “Nacho” Gonzalez from Valencia on a one-year loan deal.

Cameroon left-back Thimothee Atouba is hopeful of completing a move from Hamburg to Newcastle on Monday.

And United are in negotiations with Swiss club Young Boys of Berne over Guinean utility player Kamil Zayatte, who has impressed on trial on Tyneside.

Meanwhile, Chelsea winger Florent Malouda remains on the Magpies’ radar while the possibility remains of Real Madrid’s Robinho replacing him at Stamford Bridge.

But Newcastle are braced for bad news on Owen, who is ready to reject their offer of a one-year £80,000-a-week contract extension.

Owen is unwilling to take a £30,000-a-week pay cut as he enters the final year of his current deal and the prospect of being free to talk to any interested clubs from January.

But Manchester United and Tottenham, depending on the progress of Dimitar Berbatov’s proposed move to Old Trafford from White Hart Lane, and Everton may yet look to tempt Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to cash in on Owen now.

Losing his prize asset would be a hammer blow to manager Kevin Keegan following the controversial sale of James Milner to Aston Villa.

Yet an offer of £8 million or more would be tempting for Ashley, who knows Owen could leave for a fraction of that amount in the new year or for nothing next summer.

Gonzalez will not arrive on Tyneside for at least a week while he is on international duty with Uruguay.

The 26-year-old has only just signed for Valencia from Uruguayan club Danubio, but Valencia coach Unai Emery is willing to part with him because his squad is top-heavy with midfielders.

Tottenham old boy Atouba failed to show on Tyneside for a scheduled medical on Friday, but the Hamburg left-back’s agent, Sven Achnitz, said last night: “The deal is not dead.”

And Newcastle’s executive director Dennis Wise is trying to thrash out a deal with Young Boys of Berne for 23-year-old Zayatte, who can play at right-back, centre-half or as a defensive midfielder.

:: Newcastle have been drawn at home against Spurs in the third round of the Carling Cup which will be played week commencing September 22.