1st signing OFFICIAL!

Park Life

The BBC give the general consensus and quotes a reprint...

Magpies sign Argentine Gutierrez

Jonas Gutierrez

Gutierrez made his Argentina debut in February 2007

Newcastle have signed Argentina winger Jonas Gutierrez from Real Mallorca on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Gutierrez, 24, played in his country's 0-0 World Cup qualifier draw in Brazil last month and is Magpies manager Kevin Keegan's first major summer recruit.

"Jonas is a wonderful signing for us," said Keegan. "A lot of other clubs have been interested in him. He'll be a terrific addition to the squad.

"He's an exciting player and I'm sure our fans will enjoy watching him."

Gutierrez, who has been nicknamed 'Spiderman' because of the webbed mask he puts on for flamboyant goal celebrations, had previously been linked with a £10m move to Portsmouth.

606: DEBATE

Jonas is worth around £10 million apparently...

Joey Sparton

"I cannot tell you how excited I am to be joining Newcastle United," he said.

"The Premier League is a great place to play and I cannot wait to meet my new team-mates and prove myself to the Newcastle United fans."

The player began his career with Velez Sarsfield in Argentina and won the league title with them in 2005 before heading for Spain where he scored five goals in 96 appearances for Real Mallorca.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has actually made my day and I'm very happy we have done it under everybody's noses!

Funny the 'close friend of Ashley' and all those ''toon insiders' missed that one...

This has actually made my day and I'm very happy we have done it under everybody's noses!

Me too, despite the fact I've no idea whether the lad is any good or not.

Thats just the thing that makes the reactions and comments funny though, If we had signed a player from the premiership who we knew about (E.g Lennon) then im sure a lot would be picking up on the negative sides of his game. Im sure there would be quite a few cautious posts however because no one even knows how the guy plays, everyone is full of blind optimism

Superb.

Thats just the thing that makes the reactions and comments funny though, If we had signed a player from the premiership who we knew about (E.g Lennon) then im sure a lot would be picking up on the negative sides of his game. Im sure there would be quite a few cautious posts however because no one even knows how the guy plays, everyone is full of blind optimism

Superb.

well it's just such a far cry from the shepherd days where everything was dangled in front of us with constant news reports and insider info etc etc

and this undisclosed fee thing is new for us too

Superb.

well it's just such a far cry from the shepherd days where everything was dangled in front of us with constant news reports and insider info etc etc

And you've got to love the Spiderman mask, Luque/Boumsong/etc./etc. would have all at least had some entertainment value with superhero mask antics.

Well maybe anyway. :rolleyes:

Not sure but I think you had to disclose the fee when we were a plc.

well fair enough but still it's come at the right time then with fees looking like skyrocketing again this summer the ability to keep what we're paying quiet will do us a lot of favours i think

real mallorca aint to happy about it , something about wanting 15mill euros compo , up on their website .

but isnt it a case that they can sue the player to get that money but Newcastle arent legally obliged in any way?

real mallorca aint to happy about it , something about wanting 15mill euros compo , up on their website .

but isnt it a case that they can sue the player to get that money but Newcastle arent legally obliged in any way?

Didn't that Webster ruling say they're only entitled to one year of his salary?

I reckon by the end of the week/early next week there will be another signing and they will have their photos with the shirt together :rolleyes:

Well he started against Brazil in the world cup qualifier so he must be considered one of the 4 best midfielders in argentina right now.

Not bad when you consider they have messi, riquelme, aimar, veron, mascherano, d'allessandro, cambiaso, maxi rodriquez

Superb.

of course, lets hope he's better than Nobby and zoggy. Which is all that matters really.

Superb.

of course, lets hope he's better than Nobby and zoggy. Which is all that matters really.

Nobby?

Edited by Andrew

I reckon it'll be 2 days before some people start complaining that he hasn't done a damn thing since we signed him. No assists, no Goals, what a waste of time.

i am excited about this signing... the lad has talent, has pace, and a long stride... :rolleyes: i hope jimbo is right about the release of more names...

in the mallorca and argentina matches i have seen him play in he has always been in a bright spot in the match...