What is the crappiest city you've visited in England?

Torres

Bradford is a complete dive. I've never had the misfortune of going to places like Birmingham or Leicester thankfully, but if I had, they'd doubtless be up there. I also think Nottingham is shit from what I've seen, though some people seem to reckon it's alright, for some reason.

Bristol and Sheffield are also candidates; I feel the former should be donated to Wales.

I take it you're not a big city person? I used to live in Bristol and think it's a great place. It's got bad areas, but is probably the "nicest" of the country's biggest cities. However if you don't live in a nice area there you still may like it for the city centre, nightlife, entertainment etc. Same with Nottingham where my sister has just finished university - seems to love it even though it's got a very bad (and probably exaggerated) reputation.

I don't think you'll find many places that are consistently nice in the UK. In my view, a lot of it is about your emotional attatchment to the place.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
Bradford is a complete dive. I've never had the misfortune of going to places like Birmingham or Leicester thankfully, but if I had, they'd doubtless be up there. I also think Nottingham is shit from what I've seen, though some people seem to reckon it's alright, for some reason.

Bristol and Sheffield are also candidates; I feel the former should be donated to Wales.

I take it you're not a big city person? I used to live in Bristol and think it's a great place. It's got bad areas, but is probably the "nicest" of the country's biggest cities. However if you don't live in a nice area there you still may like it for the city centre, nightlife, entertainment etc. Same with Nottingham where my sister has just finished university - seems to love it even though it's got a very bad (and probably exaggerated) reputation.

I don't think you'll find many places that are consistently nice in the UK. In my view, a lot of it is about your emotional attatchment to the place.

The toon pisses on it. Taking London out of the equation, Edinburgh is the only city which is nicer than Newcastle, but it has more stuck up boring cunts.

A shithole no one has mentioned is Leicester, a city of 300,000 where the mainline station is smaller than South Gosforth metro interchange, added to the fact that 61% of the population isnt white, and its one big council estate, renders it for me a fuckin shithole. The whole Midlands is a disgrace to this nation, boring people, ugly women, fat cunts, shithole areas, wank football teams, total shit accents, you have to feel for these people growing up with no identity, it couldve been me or you if we had been born there.

I go to uni in Bristol and with any city it's got some crap areas but generall speaking the only bad thing about the place is the accent. Has some quality areas there.

Got to say I thought Leeds was going to be the worst place, but as with many things. It's experience, I lived there for years and now I've grown real affection for the place. Sure it's got some shitty shitty areas, but there are parts of Leeds that I just don't tire of.

I live in London so I must be something of a big city person. I can only go by when I've been to Bristol for football - admittedly there are far worse places but I've never been too impressed by it and the accent is horrific. Also, Bristol City's fans in particular are right boring cunts. With Nottingham the same goes. The reason I pinpointed them were because the title of the thread stipulated cities in England, I could go on forever naming towns etc I've been which are shocking.

I go to uni in Bristol and with any city it's got some crap areas but generall speaking the only bad thing about the place is the accent. Has some quality areas there.

And the fact there are too many students concentrated in the area.

The toon pisses on it. Taking London out of the equation, Edinburgh is the only city which is nicer than Newcastle, but it has more stuck up boring cunts.

A shithole no one has mentioned is Leicester, a city of 300,000 where the mainline station is smaller than South Gosforth metro interchange, added to the fact that 61% of the population isnt white, and its one big council estate, renders it for me a fuckin shithole. The whole Midlands is a disgrace to this nation, boring people, ugly women, fat cunts, shithole areas, wank football teams, total shit accents, you have to feel for these people growing up with no identity, it couldve been me or you if we had been born there.

That sums up the midlands. Also, 100% of the people I have ever met from the area are utter boring and dense cunts, and I'm sure most will have had similar experiences.

It's interesting what Stevie says about having no identity..I think it's one of the things Boro suffers from and the reason they desperatly cling to the 'Tyne-Tees' derby shite. They don't fit into the proper North East, and they don't fit into Yorkshire. It's not like it's even a place you have to drive through either.

I live in London so I must be something of a big city person. I can only go by when I've been to Bristol for football - admittedly there are far worse places but I've never been too impressed by it and the accent is horrific. Also, Bristol City's fans in particular are right boring cunts. With Nottingham the same goes. The reason I pinpointed them were because the title of the thread stipulated cities in England, I could go on forever naming towns etc I've been which are shocking.

Fair enough. Too many of those towns to name really. I don't think there's many places in this country I've been to I might like to live in tbh, and there's very little of this country I've visited.

Guest Stevie

Fair enough. Too many of those towns to name really. I don't think there's many places in this country I've been to I might like to live in tbh, and there's very little of this country I've visited.

One place I've never spent much time is Kent, going by old boundaries I have as South East London was Kent, and that's where my sister lives but actual Kent I haven't. Passed through Dover plenty times mind, but one of my good work mates is born and bred in Swanley, which is actual Kent, and he says most of Kent is a wank hole, Maidstone, Dartford, Gillingham although he says the best thing about them is there's not as many foreign cunts as a lot of other places.

One place I've never spent much time is Kent, going by old boundaries I have as South East London was Kent, and that's where my sister lives but actual Kent I haven't. Passed through Dover plenty times mind, but one of my good work mates is born and bred in Swanley, which is actual Kent, and he says most of Kent is a wank hole, Maidstone, Dartford, Gillingham although he says the best thing about them is there's not as many foreign cunts as a lot of other places.

Am I right in assuming you've noticed where it says I'm from? :D

Your mate is right sadly. There are some nice towns (Canterbury where I live of course, Sevenoaks, Whitstable, Tunbridge Wells...) however even then they aren't particularly exciting places to live in. Most of the towns are pretty dreary. Dover is a dump and it has quite a few immigrants actually so I'm told. Margate is just another tacky old seaside resort that has declined and is pretty horrid now. Most of the Medway area is very dull and Sheerness-on-sea has to be the worst of a bad bunch. There's other places that aren't much better but I don't want to bore you. Didn't think Maidstone's meant to be that bad but then again I've never been there iirc.

That said, while it's certainly not as posh/rich as some would have you believe, I still like living in Kent and the Canterbury area in particular, but I guess that's normal.

Edited by TheInspiration

This is a bit of a negative thread, most places have their good and bad areas.

I love where I live and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but for nice places to look at I like York, Edinburgh (ok not English), Chester and quite a few others.

For a good piss up most cities have the bars, clubs and entertainment to have a good time. Glasgow is one of my favourites, but if we can't include Scottish cities then the best time I've had outside of my own city has to be Manchester.

I do find Preston depressing but I think that's because every time I drive through it's raining.

This is a bit of a negative thread, most places have their good and bad areas.

I love where I live and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but for nice places to look at I like York, Edinburgh (ok not English), Chester and quite a few others.

For a good piss up most cities have the bars, clubs and entertainment to have a good time. Glasgow is one of my favourites, but if we can't include Scottish cities then the best time I've had outside of my own city has to be Manchester.

I do find Preston depressing but I think that's because every time I drive through it's raining.

York is nice enough to visit. I lived there for a couple of years though, and the locals are backwards weirdos.

oh definitely got some rough as bugger locals, but more and more it's trading on it's student-ness, it's also reported to be one the countries centres for finance and for law. The centre itself has gone through some genuine redevelopment. I'd seriously recommend it as a place to live and as Tom says, it's a very very good night out.

Headingly is one of the best student areas I've ever been.

I think so long as you are City Center for Leeds you're doing ok.

Plus The Cockpit is awesome for live music. :icon_lol:

Definitely, is where i live and as city centre's go it has everything you need. Headingley, Chapel Allerton, Horsforth, Roundhay all canny suburbs n all for a few drinks/meal etc. I always liken it to Newcastle but it has more/better shops/restaurants etc but Newcastle is more aethestically pleasing and a far superior night out

oh definitely got some rough as bugger locals, but more and more it's trading on it's student-ness, it's also reported to be one the countries centres for finance and for law. The centre itself has gone through some genuine redevelopment. I'd seriously recommend it as a place to live and as Tom says, it's a very very good night out.

Headingly is one of the best student areas I've ever been.

I think so long as you are City Center for Leeds you're doing ok.

Plus The Cockpit is awesome for live music. :icon_lol:

Definitely, is where i live and as city centre's go it has everything you need. Headingley, Chapel Allerton, Horsforth, Roundhay all canny suburbs n all for a few drinks/meal etc. I always liken it to Newcastle but it has more/better shops/restaurants etc but Newcastle is more aethestically pleasing and a far superior night out

I quite like Leeds as well actually. My sister-in-law lived in Kirkstall so I use to go down quite a lot.

• 2 months later...

I've only been in Birmingham a week and while the city centre isn't too bad, I have to say I have never been in a city with more scrounging pikey bastards. Every time I walk up the street there's some tramp looking money or a fag or giving me some sob story and looking to 'borrow' the taxi fare home, it's getting to the point where it's a hassle to actually walk the streets.

Not sure if I've posted in this thread before or not, but I have to say Birmingham. Im sure there are nice parts, but the bits I've seen are grim. We race at Birmingham wheels sometimes, even had our race tyres slashed there whilst the car was on the trailor being driven along! ;)