Seems there's no pleasing the majority either. Slate the club for the headlines "Toon to Buy rndom player for £15M" and it not coming off, slate the club if we are not linked. Slate the club for "trophy"signings that come to nothing (too many to mention) and then if we try and sign low key players to develop.

Personally, Id rather have controlled spending and guidelines (call it a ceiling) in place rather than paying ott for average players that we get stuck with.

I honestly dont understand how anyone could want us to go down the FS line again, signing names for huge amounts given the mess the club has been in.

We are not a big club and cannot attract big players unless they are past it. Some people really need to get that into their head.

I don't think anyone wants us to buy average players whether it be for huge amounts or not. We want to see quality arrive and despite us being well off the pace in terms of the league and even Europe we are still a pretty big name in world football and we should still be attract a good quality of player (which we seem to have in the lad from Mallorca). But I don't think anyone expects us to be able to beat off interest from Champions League teams for players.

In respect of this story, Aimar would represent something of a risk (he hasn't really been the same player who burst onto the European scene at Valencia a few years ago) but with a couple of other players already brought here from Spain it might mitigate some of the risk by helping him settle in. And I don't think he would be any more of a risk than the likes of Modric or Arshavin (who is only a year younger than Aimar and only just started to make any sort of name for himself outside his homeland) for a fraction of the price. And positionaly he is exactly the type of player we need.

One of the main barriers will be wages surely?

I can't imagine he would be on that good wages at Zaragoza or Benfica. I know we are looking to reduce the wages but considering what we do pay already I would have thought we could still offer better wages than a lot of clubs (most country's pay a fraction of what is paid in England and clubs such as Everton, Villa, Blackburn et al are renound for working on a much tighter budget than what we are supposed to be moving to).

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

used to be a top player, the fee would have to fit his age and the risk, but ultimately it just seems to be a cheaper version of Modric to me. Which suits the noises that have came out of this fucking board since they took over, as well as comments made by the 2 managers in the last year as well.

Absolute amd complete and utter bollocks. Any word from the board appears to have been directed towards young and up and coming players, nothing like Aimar. In fact I don't think that you could be further from the truth with your comments.

well, I think its spot on.

I bet that if the fat bastard was still here you would be calling a player like this a "trophy player"

Cheaper version of Modric, fact. The club have bought up and coming young players for years, what makes you think now anything will be different. You're one deluded seriously person mate.

used to be a top player, the fee would have to fit his age and the risk, but ultimately it just seems to be a cheaper version of Modric to me. Which suits the noises that have came out of this fucking board since they took over, as well as comments made by the 2 managers in the last year as well.

£10m bid for Woodgate,

£16m bid for Modric,

Decent chance of a big layout for Gutierrez,

as well as there probably being many bids we don't know about, which could well bring signings out of the blue, ie Gutierrez and Enrique.

Aye, on the cheap....

Facts are we have bid big for some players that Keegan has deemed good enough to splash the cash on. I'd rather wait than splash 10m on another Luque and I doubt KK would just sit back and accept it if there was no money available.

sorry but I didn't realise we signed Modric and Woodgate. Whats it like on Mars ?

£10m bid for Woodgate,

£16m bid for Modric,

as well as there probably being many bids we don't know about, which could well bring signings out of the blue, ie Gutierrez and Enrique.

Aye, on the cheap....

Facts are we have bid big for some players that Keegan has deemed good enough to splash the cash on. I'd rather wait than splash 10m on another Luque and I doubt KK would just sit back and accept it if there was no money available.

MA didn't want to go the extra mile for Modric apparently, could be wrong. The KK fuming rumours after the deal broke down are pretty accurate.

you can't say that, some people don't agree with it.

The way some people go on here sometimes, you'd think they just want signings for the sake of it. Lets go back to the heady days of FFS and his trophy signings , spending big bucks to make us look good etc. then shall we? Because we'll be in the shit before you know it.

I am glad that for a change we're not linked with every player that breathes. Yes we need a few players in but for a change we're being a bit more sensible about it and you know what, thats perfectly fine by me.

As for Aimar, I'll pay to fly him here, if he's alright flying with Ryanair :icon_lol:

oh dear

£10m bid for Woodgate,

£16m bid for Modric,

Aye, on the cheap....

MA didn't want to go the extra mile for Modric apparently, could be wrong. The KK fuming rumours after the deal broke down are pretty accurate.

you can't say that, some people don't agree with it.

I don't agree with it because I've heard different (see above)

FWIW I come from your school on Shep in that I agree that he did put money into big transfers in an attempt to be successful, and that the likes of Owen and Shearer wern't 'Tropheys' but expensive quality players.

I don't however buy into the Ashley is penny pinching, again its what I've heard and is second hand, but Ashley is prepared to spend money where necessary and where it represents a good deal. A Luque won't happen (i.e. a rapid transfer with no scouting etc) but an Owen might. The Modric bid was genuine, as was Sheps Rooney bid.

Its a new approach, it will take a couple of years to show its true direction and worth. I'm giving it time to see

£10m bid for Woodgate,

£16m bid for Modric,

Aye, on the cheap....

sorry but I didn't realise we signed Modric and Woodgate. Whats it like on Mars ?

Where did I say we signed them?

I stated the fact that we bid for them, which shows the board aren't trying to do things on the cheap. If KK see's a player of high value that he wants, he'll bid for them.

What's it like of Venus?

All the news reports are saying he will have signed by tomorrow now.

For Benfica I assume?

The new rumours are there is money problems with the Benfica deal and that we have re-bid by phone.

Could happen. Fingers crossed.

£7.6m

For Benfica I assume?

The new rumours are there is money problems with the Benfica deal and that we have re-bid by phone.

£7.6m

As opposed to carrier pigeon? :icon_lol:

Where you getting this info from Parky?

For Benfica I assume?

£7.6m

It's all tea leaves mate. :D

...and there's summat on goal.com

For Benfica I assume?

£7.6m

It's all tea leaves mate. :)

Fucking hell :D

I'd have been more confident if it was just the tea leaves.

For Benfica I assume?

£7.6m

It's all tea leaves mate. :lol:

Fucking hell :)

:D

It's been uncannily accurate this summer tbf. :)

For Benfica I assume?

£7.6m

That's because it's covered every single base possible.

While I hope it's right I still cringe when people use it as a source, along with TeamTalk and TribalFootball.

Saying that I have just checked and there are quotes from his agent, although they're ridiculously vague and could just be used to hurry Benfica into paying up.

For Benfica I assume?

£7.6m

That's because it's covered every single base possible.

While I hope it's right I still cringe when people use it as a source, along with TeamTalk and TribalFootball.

Saying that I have just checked and there are quotes from his agent, although they're ridiculously vague and could just be used to hurry Benfica into paying up.

Ere.....

"However, Mascardi has changed his tune today in light of recent developments, telling O Jogo: “We have begun to speak to an English club - it's not Everton - and already we have offers for the player.”

Keegan has just completed the signing of another Argentine, Jonas Gutierrez, and may enlist the 25-year-old's help in the battle for ex-Valencia man Aimar.

It will take around £7m to secure the player, a fee Benfica are ready to pay, and the mystery English club must act quickly before As Águias wrap up the deal".

Benfica haven't got much cash so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Real Zaragoza president Eduardo Bandres insist no deal has been agreed with Benfica for Pablo Aimar.

Newcastle United and Portsmouth are chasing the Argentina midfielder and Bandres says: "There are offers from Portugal, England and Greece.

"We won't sell Aimar for anything less than favourable terms."

According to wikipedia Aimar has signed for the toon. :D

:icon_lol:

And according to Wikipedia at 15:19 this afternoon:

At 3:53pm on Tuesday 15th July 2008, Aimar was transferred to Newcastle United from Real Zaragoza for a fee of £7.6M. He will wear squad number 8.

Later that day, at 4.19pm he was sold to Sunderland, although the deal is resting on his nationality being changed to Irish. Although he has previously stated he will never play for a football team such as sunderland.

At 4.21pm, he was seen staggering out of Gotham Town, after a couple of pitchers of White Russian. It is believed he went to Subway for a 12 inch steak and cheese, with south west sauce. Though sky sports news have yet to confirm this.